Cabelas vs Sitka- Treestand clothes

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone here tried both the Fanatic and either the MT050 or the Instinct Stand Hunter jackets and bibs? I have a fanatic jacket and Incinerator bibs. I am thinking about buying one of the Cabelas options for the added GTX up top. Sitting in PA in December it can dump rain or snow. I have a rain jacket but putting it on over the fanatic is cumbersome.

How is the bulk compared to the Fanatic?
How do they compare as far as warmth?
How waterproof are they?
How is the quality? I expect not as good as the Fanatic but for $250 if I get 5 or so seasons of rifle stand hunting I’d be ecstatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have those specific pieces but i have cabelas silent suede stuff which is sinilar i beloeve to the MT050. It is good for wet weather and it is warm. But with that comes some noise. Usually not an issue with wet weather as noise isnt as big a cocnern when the weather turns on, but i would never wear it on a dry day or a light drizzle day as the noise is just not treestand worthy. I can say i have not worn the cabelas gear since getting the fanatic jacket, but i hunt in a very different climate than you and you may need something that sheds water better than i do.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I dont have those specific pieces but i have cabelas silent suede stuff which is sinilar i beloeve to the MT050. It is good for wet weather and it is warm. But with that comes some noise. Usually not an issue with wet weather as noise isnt as big a cocnern when the weather turns on, but i would never wear it on a dry day or a light drizzle day as the noise is just not treestand worthy. I can say i have not worn the cabelas gear since getting the fanatic jacket, but i hunt in a very different climate than you and you may need something that sheds water better than i do.

That’s where I’m at. The fanatic jacket and bibs just get so soaked. I really don’t want to pay Sitka prices for the Incinerator set. If the Cabela’s version is somewhat close it seems like a great bargain. I love the Fanatic when it’s bitter cold and dry but dang do they soak up the snow and rain.

I've used the MT050 bibs for over 5 years hunting in Wisconsin through late season archery. They're great. I don't need them to be quiet because I don't actively pursue game in them on the ground nor do I move/rub my legs much when in a tree stand. I have the jacket which I got for a great price, but I never use it for archery hunting because it's not as quiet as I'd like and pretty bulky. I haven't hunted with the Fanatic, but from trying the jacket on, it's just cut different/better and is a much quieter material. But being it's not waterproof, it's not the fairest of comparisons. You could go with Fanatic as your primary and have a rain jacket in your pack just in case. That's my layering method, albeit with a different primary jacket since I don't own the Fanatic.

Edit, I just re-read your part about not liking a rain jacket. Ha! Sorry I missed that.

Last edited:

hntr

FNG
Missouri deer huntere here. In my opinion majority of Cabelas gear is overpriced for what it is. Quality took a dump when Bass Pro bought them. Sitka is the best outerwear out there in my opinion. Most of their whitetail stuff isn't waterproof though, some is water resistant. For the whitetail stand I actually prefer Midway USA. Yes, there will be more bulk than sitka. But treestand hunting is as cold as it gets.I can't recall the model of my bibs, just know they are midway, but they are silent, durable, wind/water proof, and insulated. I also bought their 200 gsm vest this winter. That thing gets hot!!!

pirogue

WKR
I have the MTO 50 non insulated rain suit, and the Fanatic jacket. If it’s above freezing temperature, and raining, it’s too warm for the Fanatic, and if it’s raining, some good base and mid layers under the MTO 50 is good for me.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Missouri deer huntere here. In my opinion majority of Cabelas gear is overpriced for what it is. Quality took a dump when Bass Pro bought them. Sitka is the best outerwear out there in my opinion. Most of their whitetail stuff isn't waterproof though, some is water resistant. For the whitetail stand I actually prefer Midway USA. Yes, there will be more bulk than sitka. But treestand hunting is as cold as it gets.I can't recall the model of my bibs, just know they are midway, but they are silent, durable, wind/water proof, and insulated. I also bought their 200 gsm vest this winter. That thing gets hot!!!

Thanks for that I’ll have to check them out!

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the MT050 bibs for over 5 years hunting in Wisconsin through late season archery. They're great. I don't need them to be quiet because I don't actively pursue game in them on the ground nor do I move/rub my legs much when in a tree stand. I have the jacket which I got for a great price, but I never use it for archery hunting because it's not as quiet as I'd like and pretty bulky. I haven't hunted with the Fanatic, but from trying the jacket on, it's just cut different/better and is a much quieter material. But being it's not waterproof, it's not the fairest of comparisons. You could go with Fanatic as your primary and have a rain jacket in your pack just in case. That's my layering method, albeit with a different primary jacket since I don't own the Fanatic.

Edit, I just re-read your part about not liking a rain jacket. Ha! Sorry I missed that.

Haha yeah I’m being a prima-donna about the rain jacket thing. I love the fanatic jacket but the MT050 really appeals to me when I know it’s gonna be dumping snow or rainy and cold.