Cabelas woolmate or something else

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about going back to real wool hunting clothing.
What is everyone using ?
I hunt out of a treestand a lot and some off the ground. I have noticed the last few years that the new technology is just not cutting it. I am pretty hard core and there have been days my teeth have chattered that I got so cold up in a tree.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It might help to know what your current clothing lineup looks like. I've never hunted from a tree stand, but for me, when it comes to the cold, nothing beats a good down coat and if there's wind or precipitation, I add my rain shell over the top.

BluMtn

WKR
Woolimate is awesome stuff. I don't know if you can still get the good Cabelas stuff anymore off the rack, but that is my go to when the temps go below zero. Good insulation and wind blockage. The only other I would recommend is the Cabelas Whitetail line, it also works well in the below zero/wind conditions

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've always heard great things about wooltimate clothes, but it is heavy. If you have a longer walk to your stand, it can be too much.

BluMtn

WKR
I regularly hike about 10-12 miles a day in mine during Montana hunting season. I have never noticed the weight part of it. Just the fact that I can keep warm.

*zap*

WKR
I found wooltimate to be heavy and not as warm as stand hunter in very cold conditions....I think there are much better options to wear in cold conditions.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t worn any of my wooltimate stuff in years since I invested in Sitka. Ya it’s warm but crazy bulky and heavy. Much better options on the market these days.

Wrench

WKR
I realllly like my filson wool bibs and mackinaw jackets. The wooltimate is decent, but dont expect long term use. The wooltimate vest is a favorite of mine....but the coats and pants are 7/10 imo. Filson is better than anything I've had yet.

kda082

WKR
I have used a wooltimate jacket for years and still keeps me warm. Slightly heavy but good for stand and waterfowl. Dead quiet also. Purchased a new jacket for my son for Christmas and it’s the same quality as my pre bass pro version. Can’t comment on other suggestions as this is all I have.

wytx

WKR
I've been wearing wool for I don't know 30 years now. I find wool pants are too heavy and cumbersome for most hunting so I opt for a newer material but upper layers are mostly wool on any given day.
Merino under layers and then maybe a fleece mid under my KOM shirt and then a KOM vets on top if weather dictates it.
I look online and find good used King of the Mountain stuff, also have a Sleeping Indian shirt off of ebay that is almost brand new.
With the heavier KOM shirt and vest I forego a coat unless it's pretty cold.
A nice wool vesr is a great layering piece, any brand.

Wool pants can gather snow and get heavy but they are warm no doubt and quiet. Wool blend would be great too.

If you're looking for wool check out Sleeping Indian Wool, I have a few pieces of their stuff and its phenomenal quality.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I love wool and have used it in Mackinaws and pants since the pre-PC/WWW/Cell era. It’s strengths are silence, water/snow repellent in Winter mix weather, wind resistant, reasonably breathable, warm under light activity, safe if you get wet it still insulates, and always smells like wool, not you. It’s ideal for late season still-hunting, tracking, and stalking.

The cons are weight, hard to regulate your temp, a little bulky, and it doesn’t really capture a big dead air space around you. Therefore I don’t find it best for tree or ground stands. If I’m stand hunting and not warm enough, next time out to hunt I bring another puffy layer, or replace with a loftier one, plus add better neck, head and possibly kidney insulation and maybe handwarmer packets. This works for me. YMMV.

GeoFish

FNG
I invested in a Sitka fanatic bibs and jacket. What a waist of money. Does not keep me warm below 30. Woolmate and better yet, but you can't get it any more is Cabelas stand hunter. Very heavy, but nothing else will keep me warm below 20.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard anyone say the Fanatic stuff was not warm down into single digits. I have the Kryptek Aegis which in all the research I have done is not quite as warm as the Fanatic. The Aegis is every bit as warm as my woolmate at half the weight and bulk.

Chromeslayer

Lil-Rokslider
I have the wooltimate and fanatic.. the fanatic beats out the wooltimate everyday of the week and twice on sundays... not saying the wooltimate isnt a good set of clothing because it is

GeoFish

FNG
Never heard anyone say the Fanatic stuff was not warm down into single digits. I have the Kryptek Aegis which in all the research I have done is not quite as warm as the Fanatic. The Aegis is every bit as warm as my woolmate at half the weight and bulk.
I even sent my Sitka back for evaluation, Ha Ha. Not sure if it has the right insulation or wind block. Sitka says its OK, but the never looked inside. The Communist are know for substituting materials when they run out of what they are supposed to use. All I can say is my set is a dud. Same base andmid layers with Stand Hunter at 16 degrees and I am toasty. .

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Wooltimate pullover and pants for most of my hunting in PA, VA, Wva, as long as it's 35ish+.

Below that I reach for more insulation.

I hunted Saskatchewan couple years ago.

6, 10hr days in a blind. Single digits, teens 20s all week.....F that is.

Layered under Cabelas Stand hunter parka, and mt050 bibs. Matter if fact, wore my wooltimate pants under the bibs, along with good thermals.

Felt pack boots, handwarmers electrical taped over the toe box, and artic shield overboots.

Hand warmer muff, plus more handwarmers

Good head cover, plus the parka hood.

Never got cold. Feet were toasty.

If your going to do marathon sits in single digits, you're going to need more than wooltimate.