Cables in peep housing?

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all I just picked up a Mathews V3X 60-70# @ 29 1/2 inch draw. I had it set up at the shop and as I was getting the peep adjusted and everything I’m noticing I can see my cables on the right side of my peep housing as I’m looking through it. Guy at the shop told me it was normal but I don’t recall that on my last bowl, or maybe I did and never noticed? Anybody else get this too?

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
...same with the Traverse here...the brain filters it out when you get used to the new bow....
Man that’s so weird, I haven’t gotten a new bow since 2018 so it’s definitely weird to see haha

wayoh22

WKR
V3X 33, 30in DL, 76lbs and nothing in my line of sight. Did notice it always on my last bow. Depends on how far in your sight is. I'm assuming it's pretty tucked into the riser if you're running it through the riser.

OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
V3X 33, 30in DL, 76lbs and nothing in my line of sight. Did notice it always on my last bow. Depends on how far in your sight is. I'm assuming it's pretty tucked into the riser if you're running it through the riser.
Actually yes I wanted it somewhat in the middle range but did not think of that! I will mess with it to see if popping it out a dash or 2 will help, thanks!

wayoh22

WKR
Actually yes I wanted it somewhat in the middle range but did not think of that! I will mess with it to see if popping it out a dash or 2 will help, thanks!
It's not as simple as moving it left or right. You have to account for the bow tune. If you just move it to left then your shots are going to starting hitting off center. Best bet it's to play with the shims and re-tune. Start at 13/16 from the riser...etc

Plenty of threads on here on that topic

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Seeing cables in your peep is usually indicative of torque. Either it’s coming from front hand grip or can be from too long of a draw length as well. Improper head positioning can cause it too.

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
I don't agree with the most of the reasons mentioned here why you see the cables through the peep - the simplest explanation is that you are shooting a peep with a bigger diameter for hunting, ....more light.... or you really want to see your whole scope for centering through the peep; the bigger the peep, obviously the more you see. The next reason is how far the peep sits away from your eye. Shoot a shorter DL with a longer ATA (yes, you have to consider the cam size too....) that gives you a very close eye to peep distance and you will very likely see more from the surrounding compared to shooting a tiny target peep.

So no, I don't think that seeing the cable is "usually" indicative of torque, or how far the sight / scope sits away from the riser - the scope obviously has to sit where it has to sit if the bow is sighted in. The later might have an impact on your selection of the peep aperture so: big scope housing & sitting closer to your eye, respectively not far out, and you likely pick a bigger aperture an then obviously you see more from the surroundings and that includes the cables.

dtrkyman

WKR
It's not as simple as moving it left or right. You have to account for the bow tune. If you just move it to left then your shots are going to starting hitting off center. Best bet it's to play with the shims and re-tune. Start at 3/16 from the riser...etc

Plenty of threads on here on that topic
13/16ths