Cactus Resistant Pants?

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nilgai hunt at Bahia Grande In STX in Feb and am in the market for some sturdier pants that will hold up to thorns but also as resistant as possible to cactus. I have my eyes on FL sawtooth brush pants but am also open to good alternatives (bonus if it’s cheaper). Do y’all have any recommendations?

One alternative I’ve read was just to use rattlesnake chaps but I don’t know how I feel about that yet.

Hondo

WKR
The First Lite Sawbuck pants are excellent pants but won't prevent cactus needles from sticking you. I'd be more concerned about rattlesnakes than cactus in that area as those dunes down there are full of them and they can be tricky to spot in the sand. Snake boots or gaiters would be my suggestion as they work on needles and fangs.

Congrats and good luck.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Having grown up hunting cactus flats in Texas, IDK if there is a pant besides leather chaps that will stop mesquite and cactus thorns. Snake boots are great for beating down cactus and brush. Haven't hunted Bahia Grande but hunted Laguna Atascosa; expect to get poked if you're brush busting.

go_deep

WKR
Upland bird pants would help, but nothing will stop them. I get cactus spines stuck in the sidewalls of my tires and I can't pull them out, so I doubt there's a pant that will stop them.

OP
L

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Upland bird pants would help, but nothing will stop them. I get cactus spines stuck in the sidewalls of my tires and I can't pull them out, so I doubt there's a pant that will stop them.

Yeah. I’m bringing an e bike and am bringing spares just in case (probably will) have a flat.

They don’t exist. There is always a weak spot. You are going to get poked.

Have used the Bass Pro uplands pants scores of times while hunting dove and quail in the desert. They work well enough but don’t lend themselves to climbing; shouldn’t be an issue where you’ll be hunting Nilgai.

When scouting for and hunting big game in the desert, the best setup that I’ve found is Kuiu Kutana pants, Kryptek gaiters, Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, yellow leather gloves, a small comb, and a pair of tweezers.

The Kutanas hold up better than any other pant that I’ve seen. The Kryptek gaiters are significantly tougher and more puncture resistant to other non-snake gaiters that I’ve seen. Tall boots to reduce surface area accessible to cactus spines. Rough leather gloves are awesome at moving pokies away. A comb to pull the cactus spines out at the same time; cholla sucks balls. And the tweezers are for individual spines that break off in your skin.

Many boots allow cactus spines to come up through the sole. I’ve thrown away several pair of boots that wound up being one-time use. Sucks getting poked on the bottom of your feet each time you take a step.

OP
L

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I think I conflated a need for cactus resistance with not wanting to get stuck with a cactus. I don’t really care and expect to be stuck. I’m just looking for pants that’ll hold up better to tearing than my good hunting pants like my FL corrugate foundry pants that’ll definitely get ripped up.

Sorry I think I conflated a need for cactus resistance with not wanting to get stuck with a cactus. I don’t really care and expect to be stuck. I’m just looking for pants that’ll hold up better to tearing than my good hunting pants like my FL corrugate foundry pants that’ll definitely get ripped up.
Kuiu Kutana

I use Filson oiled tin cloth chaps for upland hunting occasionally and they work pretty good for yucca and cactus. Very Resistant is the best way to describe them, once in awhile something poke through but not bad. They also make pants of the same material I’ve been interested in trying but haven’t yet.