Caffeine addict who hates coffee

Scoot

WKR
Last year I did my first real backcountry hunting trip. I couldn't have loved it more! However, I'm a caffeine addict who hates coffee. I sneaked a few Diet Mountain Dews in my pack, but obviously the weight of hauling soda into the backcountry is not only stupid, it's pretty punitive. Besides forcing myself to drink coffee (never going to happen) or taking caffeine pills, is there something that I can mix with water that might be tasty and also has enough caffeine to keep my addiction in check? I planned on bringing Propel to give a little taste to some of my water, but I'm all ears if there's a good option that also would have caffeine. Suggestions appreciated!

OR Archer

WKR
Advocare Spark is pretty tasty stuff and gives you a good boost. I like the Mandarin Orange and Mango Strawberry flavors. You can get them in individual serve pouches.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have the same problem, coffee is terrible! I use the Meo energy drink mix. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Yerba Mate. It's way stronger than tea, and just as potent as coffee. This stuff is the $*!+. You can drink a bunch of it and have enough energy to flap your wigs all the way to the moon and back, but will not get the g-force jitters you get with coffee. Just smooth Cadillac style sailin.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for tea, there are so many kinds and flavors I am sure you could find something you like. I don't like all the crap they put in those energy drinks so I try to stay clear of them if at all possible.

littlebuf

Banned
meo energy. it has caffeine in it and makes like 18 bottles of water

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I take Endorush.....way stronger than anything, but have something planned out after you drink it! Otherwise you'll look like a rabbit on crack with a broken leg.

Hardstalk

WKR
I think aron is talking about the powdered endurorush? Ive only seen the bottles in gas stations. But a solid prework powder out like jack3d or endurorush will surprise you. You will end up saying "I cant believe I made it up here so fast"

Hike&Hunt

FNG
I use a pre-workout supplement called 1M.R. That gets me going early every morning. It's a powder you add to water, but just like Aron said you better have a plan before drinking it. There is also a powder drink called zip fizz that is comparable to red bull but in a powder form too.

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
I've got some caffeinated Gu gels that are X2 caf. Not the same as an energy drink but it doesn't have all the extra chemicals that juice you up. Just caffeine. I think it was equivelant to like 3 cups of coffee.

shaun

WKR
I would do the jacked3d it is a concentrate so you are taking a smaller amount with you. 1MR is also great I bounce between those and super pump depending on what one I grab first in am. Like someone said have a plan eat something prior I made the mistake of not about 3 years ago and it did not turn out well

Eagle

WKR
You could always go with some caffeine anyhydros powder. I use that in my post workout shakes, and I think it would mix well with water and likely be tasteless.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got some caffeinated Gu gels that are X2 caf. Not the same as an energy drink but it doesn't have all the extra chemicals that juice you up. Just caffeine. I think it was equivelant to like 3 cups of coffee.

+1 on the caffeine GU gels---used to use them when running ultras. They worked great running through the night.

Randy

Hardstalk

WKR
Any of the pre workouts I would suggest trying at home first. There is a lil thing called a niacin flush that comes along with most. Effects everyone differently. Some turn red. Some gain a few degrees in body temp. Some need a roll of t.p.

2rocky

WKR
960x199RocGel1a.jpg

100mg of caffeine.

Link to article comparing energy Gels..

http://www.irunfar.com/2008/12/energy-gel-comparison.html

and an article about Caffeine s role in endurance sport

http://www.irunfar.com/2008/04/caffeine-and-endurance-running.html

i start my day with caffiene shot blocks, and have a gu w/caffeine in my days ration, its not a rockstar but its enough to stave off the headache.
i like the idea of saying "i cant believe i got up here so fast" might try that for a scout trip...

Hardstalk

WKR
Liquid b12 isnt bad either. It doesn't give you the tunnel vision, jitters, confusion like caffiene ( which is what majority of addicts including myself look forward to) but its really good for stamina and mental focus.

I believe 5 hour energy is like 8300% dv of b12 thats where they get there kick from.