Calculating backcountry miles

ozyclint

WKR
Ha ha. That's good going.
Every time I hear someone say, "I did 24 miles on my elk hunt", I smile and think it must have been some nice mild country.

ohioguy47

FNG
Calculating backcountry miles..

Is their a percentage you guys add on when route planning over crow flies? I recently went on a sheep hunt about 10 miles deep for 7 days. "wrist watch miles" around 55. Obviously in that ten miles we shifted to glass, get water, etc. I have calculated a new albeit much longer route for next year and added 20%. An impossible variable I know.. Anyways just trying to see what other use when established trails are non existent. On multiday back pack hunts its nice to rough plot sleeping areas" or flat spots" , glassing points, and set goals to achieve. I appreciate any educated feedback.
I base distance off back pain

Maverick1

WKR
If I want to know how far I’ve hiked I just leave the GPS on for the entire duration. Eliminates any guesswork and feeling like a chump when you say “I backpacked an elk out 8.12 miles each way” - because then at least you know the distance is correct, even if you still sound like a chump.