Caliber choice advice

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up using rifles and shotguns, then stated pretty much exclusively bowhunting in '10. Since then I've moved to Hawaii, and only took my bow with me, leaving my rifles and shotguns at my folks house back in Florida. Want to start mixing in rifle with some hunts for a few reasons. Mainly because I have some buddies that never hunt with bow, and other friends are interested in hunting and figure a rifle will help them catch the bug easier, and have an over all enjoyable hunting experience.

Right now most my hunting involves hogs and goats, and occasional axis deer and muflon sheep. Hogs is much closer and thicker brush, but everything else can be a bit further. Ideally I'd get 2 rifles, a 30-30 and a scoped rifle, but budget won't allow at the moment. So trying to decide on a do all caliber. Everything will be within 20-300yards, 400 yds being max.

I've owned a .243, .222, .223, .270 and 30-30 in the past. Can't decide if I should just use a 30-30 and get the leverution bullets when I want to get out into the 100-300 range, or something like a .243 or .270 for everything. Thanks.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
7mm-.08, .308, .270 or a .30-06 would all do what you want. Lots of other options too probably.

I would probably go with a short barreled .30-60 for your intended use.

Sunspot

WKR
I'm intrigued by a 257 Weatherby these days. but ammo costs and availability are concerns.

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
Perhaps look at some of the Scout style .308s that are so popular right now, there are some real nice options.
I think Savage is calling it the hog hunter, Ruger has the Gunsite scout (which is really slick), Mossberg is bring out the MVP in .308.
A short barreled .308 sounds like it would be right up your alley.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Want to stay away from .308. I live Hawaii and rounds aren't as easy to get as the mainland. Especially any military style rounds. Trying to stick to simple popular rounds. I don't hand load. Would like to, but I don't have the time for any more hobbies.

Shrek

WKR
7mm-08 is the round you want. Get it in a Savage Weather Warrior and you will never need another rifle short of brown bear hunting. Very efficient with great bullets in a short action .

Shrek

WKR
3.5-10x50 zeiss conquest from cameralandny.com for $450 . Look under their deal of the day section. All of the deal of the days are good until they sell out. You could use the light gathering of the 50mm in the dark jungle areas at dusk and dawn.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
7mm-08 is the round you want. Get it in a Savage Weather Warrior and you will never need another rifle short of brown bear hunting. Very efficient with great bullets in a short action .

How does the Savage Weather Warrior stack up against the Weatherby Vanguard 2?

My bro just bought a new Savage and it truly is "accurate out of the box". All I own are Remington rifles but I am sold on Savage because of the last 2 my bro bought. I am in the market for a new .270 for my wife and I will be buying her a Savage.

Shrek

WKR
How does the Savage Weather Warrior stack up against the Weatherby Vanguard 2?

The Weatherby / Howa Vanguard is a fine rifle and I can't say anything bad about them. They are made in Japan and that doesn't thrill me but the quality is very good for the price. The Savage 10 , 110 , 11, 111 , 12 , 112 , 14 , 114 , 16 , 116 are all the same basic action . Three digit is long action and two is short action. They have some features that I like. The accutrigger and floating bolt head . There is the accustock and even their plastic cheapy stocks usually come pillar bedded. You can also change the barrel at home if you are moderately mechanically capable. If you were to get a bad barrel it could be changed on a used rifle for about $220.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
With your situation I would without a doubt choose a .243. I believe they are the most underrated killers in the woods. I've seen more trophy elk, deer, and bears fall to that caliber than most will ever shoot. They are easy to find ammo for (usually, I can't speak for your circumstance), easy to shoot and you'll rarely find one that doesn't want to shoot MOA. IMO accuracy, confidence, and good shooting decisions triumphs energy and egos any day.

Shrek

WKR
The 243 win is a good round but lacks any heavier bullets to carry energy down range . It's marginal for a elk or moose at longer range. Not very forgiving of misplaced shots at 300 yards. A 7mm-08 with a 139 sst superformance will still carry over 1500 ftlb oof energy ar 400yards but the 95gr 243 win superformance has under 1000 ftlb energy at 400 yards. The 95gr sst will carry enery better than the flat base partitions so it hits with even less at equal range. Rule of thumb is 1000 ftlb for deer and 1500ftlb for an elk or moose. You will be under gunned with a 243 win sometimes but very rare to run out of gun with a 7-08 under 400 yards.

The 7-08 in a savage is hard to beat for the money. I have a youth savage and a ladies vanguard. The savage is 1/2 MOA with 139 GMX Superformance ammo. So far the vangaurd prints groups just slightly better than #6 shot in my Mossberg 500... :(

Shrek

WKR
Dang thruhunter , thats great about the Savage but the howa shooting patterns like a shotgun is tough. Have you checked the barrel float and action bed ? Most howas will shoot so I'm betting a little work you will find the problem.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
The 243 win is a good round but lacks any heavier bullets to carry energy down range . It's marginal for a elk or moose at longer range. Not very forgiving of misplaced shots at 300 yards. A 7mm-08 with a 139 sst superformance will still carry over 1500 ftlb oof energy ar 400yards but the 95gr 243 win superformance has under 1000 ftlb energy at 400 yards. The 95gr sst will carry enery better than the flat base partitions so it hits with even less at equal range. Rule of thumb is 1000 ftlb for deer and 1500ftlb for an elk or moose. You will be under gunned with a 243 win sometimes but very rare to run out of gun with a 7-08 under 400 yards.
Shrek- I understand the points of your argument, but I feel the "math" behind any ballistic conversations is completely out weighed by 1 equation.......dead=dead. As a matter of fact, just this morning a 300 lb+ bear fell to the fate of a well placed 95 grain bullet beyond 300 yards after obsorbing a poorly placed .325 WSM round.
Over the years I've spent thousands on custom magnum rifles that I love (I better, I'm a broke ass carpenter), but for many hunts choose a .243. Inside of 450 yards I feel completely confident in their abilities (as well as mine) and my only stats are hanging on my wall. I feel that if I can dump deer, elk, bears, and cougars. Then the OP can put down some little island game. (This response isn't intended to come across cold, I'm just sensitive when I comes to the .243)