Caliber Choice For Beginner PNW Hunter?

Bucktail

FNG
Hi everyone,

I've been looking into hunting and after a lot of reading decided to go down the rifle path. This forum has a lot of posts covering this topic but I'm a terribly indecisive person.

I'm new to rifles, as in I MAYBE shot one once in my grandfathers backyard when I was 10. I'm concerned about getting a rifle that would be too much to handle (I figure I'm likely recoil sensitive), but I'd also like to get something versatile that I could carry for a long time. (No worries, I'll be visiting a friend to try his rifle before I fully commit here).

Deer are the main focus, but I'm in an area with a lot of elk and after I get experience that's definitely something I'd be interested in. I really can't see myself ever shooting over 300 yards.

I'll probably be skimming used racks to be fair (~$500), so are there any oldie but goldie calibers (/rifles) you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Bucktail

Bucktail

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll definitely keep an eye on these calibers. :)

If deer are your main focus with possible elk down the road, then I would recommend 308 first and then 7mm-08 second. Only reason I would recommend 308 first is the large range of factory ammo options and there are a ton of rifles chambered in it. 270 and 30-06 will kick a bit more, so if you look at those calibers, look at rifles with a muzzle break to help tame them down.

slvrslngr

WKR
I'd suggest you buy 2 rifles. First one, a 22 rimfire. Work on gun handling, shooting basics and marksmanship. The second, your hunting rifle. Lots of choices and the ones mentioned are all good ones. I'd add the 6.5 Creed to the list, not because I'm a fan boy, but because it's capable and there are a ton of ammo and rifle options, plus it's recoil is low. The 308 is also a great choice for the same reasons. Also, find a mentor, someone that shoots and hunts, a lot. Good luck on your quest!

2ski

WKR
I just want to comment on your comment about likely being recoil sensitive. You won't know that if the last time you shot was 10 years old. Every 10 year old is afraid of recoil. So you may be fine. Go into it telling yourself you were 10 and even a small caliber was going to make you nervous. If you go into it now with a mindset of being recoil sensitive you will flinch.

I can shoot my .243 for days. Give me a 30-06, and I'm fine shooting it. Its just eventually it starts to make my shoulder tender over time during a range outing. When I see my accuracy start to suffer, I know its time to quit until next time.

25-06 - 270 - 7x57 - 280 Rem - 280AI - 30-06 - 7mm-08 - 308 - 260 Remington - & hate to say it the 6.5 ManBun (Creedmoor)

Good decent rifles that shoot well.
Ruger American
Ruger Hawkeye or MKII
Tikka
Howa

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
I’d recommend something you can shoot & practice a lot with & get comfortable with at the range, & hunting type scenarios. 6.5 Creedmoor is a great option.
Mild recoil, Typically accurate, lots of rifle options, great ammo selection. Small & Big game capable, fun to target shoot with a lot.

Hate to jump on the creedmoor bandwagon but I can’t think of a better do-all beginner friendly caliber... not to mention ammo is just as plentiful these days as good ol 308.

I will echo what someone mentioned before - buy a 22LR bolt action rifle as a trainer before you buy a hunting rifle... and shoot the hell out of it. 22 ammo is cheap, no recoil, and it will improve your marksmanship skills before you step up to the “big boys”... not to mention it’s just downright fun. Not that the big boys can’t be fun - but spending $.75-$2+ a trigger pull starts to hurt even if your shoulder doesn’t.

Also, I see you mentioned you’re in the PNW. Right now small game seasons are going strong - if you haven’t already, get your hunters ed done, go buy that 22 and a hunting license and get out after some grouse and rabbit! It’s a perfect introduction to hunting - you will find tons of them walking gated logging roads - and you get a chance to do the after-shot work(processing, cooking) on a smaller scale before you go after bigger game. I got into hunting myself as an adult and went down the same path - hunted small game my first year and I was HOOKED. I still enjoy small game hunting. Plus it’ll give you a good look at what hunting mostly is - walking through the woods looking for animals. You’ll see way fewer animals than steps you take that’s for sure, but each one is a trophy in itself(so are the steps really).

sndmn11

WKR
6.5cm, 7mm-08, .308

I would get a rifle that is threaded from the factory so you can add a muzzle brake https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26917.html

Or one that includes the muzzle brake

Ripnbst

FNG
Look into a Bergara B14 Wilderness. Its a great rifle with a heck of a lot of value for your dollar. Comes threaded from the factory for an aftermarket muzzle brake but also comes with one from the factory.

Kickstep

FNG
I’d keep an eye out for a used Savage 10/110/11/111/16/116. The models can be found used for $325 and up and they’re solid rifles. Actions can be clunky but they’re typically accurate.

Whatever caliber you choose, budget for ample ammo and range time to get familiar with your new tool. For used calibers, I’d recommend a .270 Win, 7mm-08, .308 Win, or 6.5 Creed if you can find one.

If you want new, the Savage LWH in 6.5 Creed would be hard to beat.

Top any Savage with Talley rings and a Leupold fixed 2.5x scope and you’d be set to shoot out to 150-250 yards and you could carry it all day. Scope has plenty of eye relief. For new hunters, I typically like to get them within 200 yards, but that’s just me.

Be safe and have fun!

Any all around cartridge would make for a great 1st rifle. 270, 308, 30-06.
280 Remington & 280 AI both need to be listed here. Any of these five you will not go wrong. Heck 7, add the 7mm Mauser (7x57) and the 7mm-08.

Ruger American - shoots well and won't break the bank.
Ruger Hawkeye of Ruger MKII. - excellent rifles maybe you can find a good used one.
Remington 700 MTN rifle find one of the used older ones.

The bolt action .22 and 6.5CM or 7mm-08 idea is perfect.

I think Ruger has a nice offering with the .22 in a Ruger American model, then several various American models in the 6.5CM. You mentioned $500 budget, but looking at it you'd be at about $800 for both + a couple of scopes, so it might be over your budget. I'd buy the 22LR to shoot all winter and get the centerfire in the spring to get comfortable with and break in the barrel before hunting season to spread out the purchase.

Any all around cartridge would make for a great 1st rifle. 270, 308, 30-06.
perfect advice.

you'll be hunting bear, blacktail deer, and roosevelt elk most likely around here, and the 3 cartridges above are all well suited for that. i have seen bulls killed with 6.5cm, and 7mm-08 as well, but i like the 3 choices above more.

the 308 doesn't get much love, but it makes a lot of sense.... tons of ammo options, pretty mild recoil, and a proven cartridge on any game you'll hunt.

i really like the 270 too, i always shot nosler partitions in mine and it worked well. i archery hunt elk, but have loaned it out for elk, and it did the job well.

Honestly, there are enough rifles you can buy brand new in that price range as it is that you wouldn’t have to worry about finding something used. Mossberg Patriot, Ruger American, CVA Cascade all come to mind for the price. And you can’t go wrong with anything in the 6.5-7mm range (6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08, 270 win, 280AI, etc.) when it comes to killing power and light recoil

toughluck

FNG
If you're just after deer I would look into a 7mm-08. Over the last 10 or so years it has become the darling round of whitetail hunting here in the southeast.

Send me a message if you’d like to shoot - I have several of these calibers in the safe and live in the PNW, at least for a few more weeks.