Caliber Crystal Ball - Can you predict the future?

The cool thing on subs is they can lose almost no velocity with distance. Thus performance is the same at 10 yards or 200. I would like to see the 8.6 compared to a 500g+ 45-70.
Yeah I would like to see that comparison as well. I know me personally the most meat loss I've ever had was a 375 grain maxi ball at 75 yards fired from my TC new Englander. Those large slow moving bullets tear stuff.

Bluefish

WKR
Yeah I would like to see that comparison as well. I know me personally the most meat loss I've ever had was a 375 grain maxi ball at 75 yards fired from my TC new Englander. Those large slow moving bullets tear stuff.
I used a 500g 45-70 on deer last year. Quick clean harvests with almost no damage. The 500g had a lot of penetration, going to try the 400g this year as I can spot the shots easier and don’t need the extra penetration of the 500g.

WKR
Just let .277 lay down and die
It has zero value other than nostalgia
Unlikely, as long as the things that get hit with it keep laying down to die.

But seriously, I'll be the first to admit to liking the history of the .270 Winchester. So the nostalgia thing is real. But beyond nostalgia, it was and is a solid performer. It will pretty much do what a .30-06 will do while being a little flatter shooting and with a little less recoil.

When someone says, "zero value other than nostalgia," I think of things like some of the oddball black powder cartridges or maybe .25-35 and .32 WCF.