Caliber for Daughter??

MOBowkill

FNG
My kids all started hunting at 10-11 years old. A savage 308 with a brake on it got them all started except for my youngest she got her first and second deer this year with a youth model 350 Legend. My oldest still shoots the 308 with the other two shooting a 338 federal and a 243. The 338 federal is a zinger but my son handles it just fine he’s shot it since he was 11.

BjornF16

WKR
Get an inexpensive .22 LR for practice.

Then one of the following:
1. .223 8 twist
2. .22CM 7 or 8 twist
3. 6.5 Grendel
4. 6 CM

Tex68w

WKR
22-250 got me through to college and would be my suggestion with the 243 a close second.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat with my niece and settled on a 6.5 creedmoor. .243 would also be a good option. I hate to say it, but you may have to start in a smaller caliber like these two for apprentice deer, and then move up when she’s a little older for something more elk capable…

doughnut

FNG
I have already answered this question for my daughter who is only two at the moment, but when the time comes it will be 223. Of course she will get plenty of practice with 22LR first before moving up. I remember shooting my very first centerfire rifle as a child, it was a 243, which I continued to deer hunt with throughout my life. I can remember at that time that the recoil and blast was not very pleasant. Although I shot it well for my age, I cannot say that I enjoyed shooting it. So if she shoots the 223 and doesn't like it then it will be back to the 22lr until she is comfortable. I want it to be an enjoyable experience for her.

I have also seen women turned off from shooting because some prick thinks it is funny to give them a high powered rifle or handgun to shoot. So, if you are taking a new or inexperienced shooter out don't be that guy.

Practice ammo for 223 is plentiful and cheap compared to others, so she can get plenty of practice. Buy some good ammo and keep the distances short for hunting. Then when the time comes move her up again to something a little bigger.

LoggerDan

WKR
I brought up my kids (two daughters and a boy) on an ought six. They started shooting at 6, 8 and 9 or thereabouts. All were pretty slim. Remington reduced recoil loads in 125 grains and my hand loads with cast bullets were all they practiced with and all of them handled it with aplom. Come their turn to kill a deer, Pa put 180’s inthe guns. Kids and deer and bear never knew the difference. After the initial practices, none were shy at all about shooting anything. The boy, who is 13 now thinks nothing about racking a whole magazine of stout 35 whelen handloads now.
Kids grow so fast that back then I wasn’t going to buy a rifle that they would outgrow in a few years. Each one now has a 30’06 of their own.

Northpark

WKR
My daughter is pretty small for a 9 year old. She started on a 22lr savage rascal at 5-6 years old and then graduated to my .223. This year she’ll be 10 and hunting so we built her a 6 ARC to hunt with. Even that seems like a bit too much recoil so we may go back to the .223. These are suppressed too. I found out with both my kids muzzle blast seems to affect them a bunch. My son didn’t even want to shoot until I convinced him to try my .300 blk with a suppressor on it. Now he’ll empty the ammo box if I let him.

Rob5589

WKR
.223. Let her kill some deer, yotes, etc, to get a feel for it all. Pushing a tiny 10 year old (just) into a heavier caliber too soon is just asking for her to shy away from shooting altogether. There's plenty of time to move into something heavier when she's ready.

LRI_Chad

FNG
My daughter will be turning 10 in June so she will be old enough for Montana's hunter apprentice program. She is pretty small in stature so I don't want to overwhelm her with too big of a caliber, but was hoping to get something large enough for elk as she gets older. I'm thinking a .308, .270, or a 7mm-08. Anyone here have any experience with these for a young kiddo and how they handled the recoil?

I have a client with twin brothers around ten years old. I built them a pair of Remingtons chambered in 6 International. (Nothing more than a 22-250 necked up to 6mm) Dad's free time is now highly regulated as the two little chits keep him chained to the basement ammunition factory. He's opened a can of worms with those two...

They live in SE Texas, and he recently told me the hate they put the deer population borders the absurd. I build one of these for my wife out of some orphan parts here at the shop, and with almost no effort, it's the best shooting rifle in our safe at home. (5x groups that measure in the .09s)

If you're a handloader, it's a very simple process. Neck 'em up, toss some powder, squash a 90-grainer, and send it. 22-250 cases are one of the easiest to feed reliably, which is also nice for little ones.

Just a thought; good luck.

C.

eric1115

WKR
I've talked about this elsewhere, but I would very strongly recommend going small.

I started my oldest son with a 7mm-08 and reduced 120 grain loads. I regret this. He had lots of rimfire and .223 AR time before going to that rifle. It was still a lot for him at 10, and we've spent the last few years training out bad habits he developed from shooting a rifle with too much recoil too early. My daughter's 10 now, and killed her first deer this past year with 77TMK from the AR. She is way ahead of where her brother was at her age in terms of shooting fundamentals.

He's got a few friends shooting 6.5CM's, mostly braked, but that's going to be similar recoil to his 7mm-08 (not including the difference of a brake). I think a brake on a kid's gun is a bad idea, too easy for them to forget ear pro in the moment.

We have 4 more coming up behind her, so I've decided to get a "first deer" rifle that each will use and then pass down when the next kid turns 10. My local shop has a couple of Howa Mini's in 6mm ARC on the way (long overdue now), and one of them has my name on it. I should probably have done a .223 but just can't leave well enough alone and do the sensible thing. Hopefully it will be here in time for her to use it for one year this fall before her brother turns 10 next year.

I will never put a 10 year old behind a 7mm_08, .308, .270, etc again. Even for elk, it's just not needed if you run the right bullet. That 6mm 108 is, from all I've seen, plenty. And we have all seen the 77TMK thread.

I've talked about this elsewhere, but I would very strongly recommend going small.

I started my oldest son with a 7mm-08 and reduced 120 grain loads. I regret this. He had lots of rimfire and .223 AR time before going to that rifle. It was still a lot for him at 10, and we've spent the last few years training out bad habits he developed from shooting a rifle with too much recoil too early. My daughter's 10 now, and killed her first deer this past year with 77TMK from the AR. She is way ahead of where her brother was at her age in terms of shooting fundamentals.

He's got a few friends shooting 6.5CM's, mostly braked, but that's going to be similar recoil to his 7mm-08 (not including the difference of a brake). I think a brake on a kid's gun is a bad idea, too easy for them to forget ear pro in the moment.

We have 4 more coming up behind her, so I've decided to get a "first deer" rifle that each will use and then pass down when the next kid turns 10. My local shop has a couple of Howa Mini's in 6mm ARC on the way (long overdue now), and one of them has my name on it. I should probably have done a .223 but just can't leave well enough alone and do the sensible thing. Hopefully it will be here in time for her to use it for one year this fall before her brother turns 10 next year.

I will never put a 10 year old behind a 7mm_08, .308, .270, etc again. Even for elk, it's just not needed if you run the right bullet. That 6mm 108 is, from all I've seen, plenty. And we have all seen the 77TMK thread.
This is valid. I think sometimes it is easy to push our kids beyond what they should, like there is some sense of pride that comes from telling our buddies our kid shoots a 30-06. I was started on a 270 at a young age and developed a flinch that took me years to get rid of. Why even mess with it?

A fast twist 223 or 6mm CM is the way to go. If I was forced to pick one cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life for all game it would be a 6mm CM shooting 108gr eldms.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Of the ones you mentioned 7-08 would be a really good choice, with the 6.5cm being equally good and possibly better if you are relying on factory ammo options.

Whatever you choose, add a limbsaver airtech recoil to the rifle. They really do make a substantial difference in felt recoil.

For what it's worth, I went with a Tikka compact 6.5cm and the limbsaver pad for my kids.

Mjmaida

FNG
I started shooting at 7 with my dads .22 wmr and his 243 wssm. Yes it’s an awesome little round but impossible to find or get anywhere now. Good thing he bought 20 boxes before Covid hit. Shot my first WT at 9 years old. At 10 he bought me a .270 browning and I’ve had it since. Going on 14 years now. I love that gun not only will I keep it forever but it shoots lights out with any 130 grain copper bullet (ttsx and gmx). Had some issues when I was younger at 11-15 years old with factory loads my gun just hated such as fusion and hornady A whitetail. But as for any full copper bullet I’ve killed and recovered everything I have shot with it. Most often dead within sight. My gun is a 22 inch barrel and is relatively light under 8 pounds w scope. The felt recoil is easy to deal with will only get easier with age. A 270 is so common and readily available and will kill anything with ease within normal hunting ranges. I’d recommend it before a 308 due to the lighter recoil and better trajectory. But everyone has their own opinion and experience. Whatever you chose I think she will be more than happy to just be there and as you know the animal won’t tell the difference.

Mjmaida

FNG
Forgot to mention at the same time my brother who was 9 at the time (2009 season) was gifted a Remington 7mm-08 and it’s a cartridge that will do the same exact job. He killed his first deer that season with it. I do recommend that over the .308 just because the bullet is smaller and will kick less, but I just can’t over my .270 when all factors are considered especially availability for the foreseeable future. As far as all these guys saying to start off with a smaller caliber and then move up I recommend that as well it’s what I did. I also assume you have some smaller guns already so no need to go buy another one. But by 10 years old I was shooting a long action caliber and do not remember any issue with recoil. I only got better as I shot more.

IW17

FNG
Depends on your daughter. Some kids dont mind recoil and muzzle blast, others will develop a flinch that takes a loooong time to correct. 243 is probably the best caliber that will tick all the boxes. But I would try to have her shoot multiple rifles in multiple, capable calibers before dropping the coin on what you, me or anyone else thinks is best.