Caliber Help....7mm Rem mag, 300 Win Mag & 6.5 Cred

elkguide

WKR
I have rifles chambered in all three of the calibers you have mentioned. (and maybe a few more calibers too)
All are great calibers in their own right.

I have shot a lot of different North American game with many different calibers and rifles
but when it comes down to a serious hunt my go to rifle is an old, beat up .300 Win Mag. with a really top of the line piece of glass on it.

In your build, plan on as much or more on the glass it wears too.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
30-06.....rarely is the the wrong answer....yet its certainly a case of do as I say not as I do as I still have never owned one. :)

Honestly a 30-06 or a 7 Mag is more than enough for brown bears too especially since your guide will have a rifle as well in the rare event you made a bad shot. For everything else a 30-06 is still more than enough to get it done. Rifle, bullet, and ammo choices for days! :)

V65Magna

FNG
How 'bout a 6.5-284? Several Cooper Back countries out there chambered in this F-Class classic on the various gun vendor sites. I think it would do the job. I have one on order myself at present. Barrell life......schmarell life. Once you get it dialed in, it will probably last you for years as a hunting rifle before you'd have to worry about it. Similar ballistics to a .270, so theoretically, it will essentially do what a 30-06 will do. Just my .02

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I started hunting the west with a 7mm concentrating on elk. After a number of years switched to a 300WM just cause. Now back to using a 7mm. Haven't shot anything larger than bull elk but both calibers worked well for that purpose. I like the smaller amount of recoil in 7mm. It seems strange but I felt the red 7mm ballistic tips I had to start with were the fastest killers of bulls, usually lung shots.