Caliber Recommendation for Mt Goat

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for feedback and recommendation. Have an Alaska Mt Goat hunt coming up this fall. Continue to hear/see how tough these spectacular animals are. I have two great rifles I’m considering for this hunt. A 6.5 PRC or a 338 Win Mag. What are the different factors I should be considering for which rifle to bring with.

I have not hunted Mt Goat but I have hunted in Alaska. If I make it back for caribou or any other species, I will be using my 338 WM. Mainly due to the possibility of having to deal with a bear. Just my opinion.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
30-06 here. Either 180 gr AB or a 200.20x berger.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was sort of thinking about getting a tikka in 30-06, cutting it down to 20” and shooting it suppressed. I already have an extra SWFA scope and sports match rings for a tikka laying around.

Clarktar

WKR
I was sort of thinking about getting a tikka in 30-06, cutting it down to 20” and shooting it suppressed. I already have an extra SWFA scope and sports match rings for a tikka laying around.
Invite me over and I'll bring mine and you can screw the suppressor on and let'r buck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I've been on around 8 mtn goat kills. The only ones that took multiple shots were from cartridges under 30 caliber. Mtn goats can take punishment and the last thing you want to do is watch a goat dive off a cliff and roll! You will likely have a bloody mess plus a missing horn or 2. You would not believe the punishment a goat can take! I would actually rank them as one of the toughest big game species in N Amer to put on the ground. Make sure to anchor your goat on the first shot! If you don't have a decent shot make sure to wait for a better shot.

If you cape and bone out a goat you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. They are built similar to a miniature buffalo. They have extremely thick, dense bones, lots of fat, with super thick hide, downy hair layer, plus regular hair. A bullet has a lot to get through just to penetrate to vital organs! Bring several knives or blades!

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no professional, but I have seen 5 hit by a 143 grain eldx out of a creedmoor and it has worked great, so I wouldn't hesitate to bring the 6.5 PRC. But, I echo that which others have said, bring the one you shoot best and feel the most confident in the mountains with.

I would take the 338. I have taken two and they are very tough animals. Definitely the best and rewarding hunt I have been on.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How much does each rifle weigh? Assuming it is lighter, I would lean towards the 6.5; unless hunting on Kodiak.

Given that you are not buying a new rifle, I would pick using the following criteria:
1: How well you shoot the gun.
2: Weight.
3: Weather resistance (if one is blued and the other is stainless/cerakoted, Etc.).
5: Larger caliber (if the other three are equal).
4: Barrel length, with a preference for shorter.

6.5 ammo is lighter than 338, ideally you only need 1 round, but having extra incase you need to verify zero is nice. If on Kodiak, if I could take an all in 7 lbs 6.5 and a 3 lbs revolver, I would take that over a 10 lbs 338.

Anyway, nothing about that is a gold standard, just how this random guy on the internet would think about it.

6.5 PRC - it is a much stouter and more potent round than it often gets credit for; 143 ELD-X and 140 AB are devastating on mid-sized game; lighter rifle and ammo; much less recoil often makes for a steadier hold, and much less chance for a “Weatherby Eyebrow“ when shooting at steep angles.

Hunting partner and I pulled a double this past October on Kodiak. Partner killed his goat with a 140 gr Accubond out of a 6.5x284. I killed mine with a 190 gr Berger out of a 300 WM. Both goats died in about the same amount of time. Both rifle’s weigh 8#.

This is a tiny sample compared to others.

I have seen guys bring monster magnums for “just in case” shots against monster bears that roam the earth to solely seek out humans to terrorize and eat them. The reality is most of these hunters are scared to death of their monster magnums (recoil). If they have issues hitting a paper target at 100 yards due to their fear of their rifle, what are the odds that they’ll be able to pull off a split second shot when startling a bear at 10 yards? I’d wager few folks actually train for those kinds of shots let alone time themselves. I did and it was illuminating; serious reality check when you see your final “time” and look at how much ground a bear can cover in that same amount of time.

Bring what you can shoot the best while taking into account weight and speed to get a shot off. Bring bear spray if it allows you to feel safe. You can bring some specialty ammo or monos for any up close and personal shots if that allows you to feel safe.

If you’re still torn on which rifle, then do this. Load up your pack with all of your gear for your hunt, wearing your full setup, grab one rifle, and go climb a steep 2-3K mountain and start walking knife ridges. Document how you feel. Climb down, swap rifles and do it again. Document how you feel. Then decide which is the right setup for you.

kjw

WKR
I would say the 338 if you ok packing the bigger gun. There is no such thing as to dead. The 6.5 can sure kill it also but there is no substitute for knockdown power. 5 yrs ago my friend borrowed my 338 Lapua for his hunt in the chugach, took 3 Barnes lrx from 425 yds to put him down. Last year both my brother in laws had goat tags on the kenai peninsula. The first used a 30-378, goat took two shots to go down. The second bil used a 300 rum and again took 2 rounds to put down. You’ve got some time, what ever you pick, get proficient with it and find some very uncomfortable postitions to shoot from and practice.
p.s. good luck and post pics please!!

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that mountain goats are tough critters. I can personally attest (with a single goat hunt under my belt) that goats have an astonishing will to live. I went through a similar dilemma with using my .270 Winchester. I'm an avid hand loader and worked up a custom "over book" situation I felt confident would do the job. Your .338 has a great degree of flexibility in terms of bullet weight from 185-275g bullets of whatever construction you prefer. I'm sure your 6.5 will get the job done, but shot placement and circumstance may weigh heavily on your mind leading up to the moment of truth. It's always helpful to have confidence in your shooting platform when faced with all the variables that present themselves on a mountain hunt.

Decker9

WKR
Iv seen a goat drop with 1 .243, and Iv seen one soak up 4 out of a .338. Each goat is different, shot placement in key, keep shooting until their down.

I took the hump right off a goat once, their front legs are still very alive even with a broken back.

Biggest thing is to remember what their capable of, and to shoot accordingly. If there’s a “no man’s land” anywhere within short distance, I’ll pass the shot up every time, because they will take that route, pretty much every time.