caliber suggestions

MTtrout

WKR
Choose a caliber that interest you. Practice with it then go kill some big game. Simple as that.
308 has served me well but no different than other caliber would have

EmperorMA

WKR
Okayyyyy Mr Emperor.......

What a clown

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Seriously?

If you don’t know that loud muzzle blast is every bit or even more detrimental to young shooters than recoil, then you’ve pretty much announced quite loudly who the “clown” is here.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
If I had to pick a cartridge for someone else to use for game up to the size of elk without knowing anything about them 7mm-08, .270 and .308 would be top 3 with 6.5 Creedmoor and .30-06 rounding out the top 5.
Not sure about your son but when I was 17 I was game to at least try shooting everything. I did find .416 magnums to be too much. I'd let him try as many cartridges as you can and let him establish his recoil tolerance.

Elmer Keith is turning in his grave at the mention of "needle blowers" for elk and bears. Instead of those wee little pills, he preferred the .338. The .338-06 is the update of his .338OKH as he wrote in 1957. The .338 RCM is ballistically the same. The .338 Federal is also good. I like all three and they give decent performance with less recoil than the .338 win mag.

rootacres

WKR
300 WSM is a great do all cartridge, 7mm is less popular but still a great option. I had a 300 WSM and sold it to fund a custom 7mm WSM. Took an estimated 12 year old 7x6 a couple months ago with it, 325 yds and the bull went less than 10 yds.

This puts you into a short action, great ballistics and KE and right now ammo availability for the short magnums is pretty good honestly. If I still had my 300 WSM and I didn't reload finding ammo would be a non issue for the WSMs.