Caliber switch on Tikka T3

natedock1

FNG
Background: I currently have a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 270 wsm. I only hunt whitetail in northern Minnesota. I can shoot a maximum 350 yards from my deer stand. I am tired of the heavy recoil as I have become older and the limited ammo options of owning a 270 wsm.

I love my Tikka but I would like to switch to a lighter caliber and have questions as to the feasibility of this? (A gun smith not me) can the same bolt be used? I wouldn’t mind switching to a cabin fiber barrel and upgrading my stock but just curious what components will all need to be replaced and what caliber options my current 270wsm action and bolt would be compatible with? I am experienced hunter but I don’t know crap about this so pardon my naiveness.

archp625

WKR
I don't know what a 270 WSM is like in the recoil department but you could always have your barrel threaded and puta brake on it.

But to answer your question you have a Magnum bolt face. I would maybe go with a 6.5 PRC. The one I had didnt kick at all. I did have a brake on it though.

OP
N

natedock1

FNG
I don't know what a 270 WSM is like in the recoil department but you could always have your barrel threaded and puta brake on it.

But to answer your question you have a Magnum bolt face. I would maybe go with a 6.5 PRC. The one I had didnt kick at all. I did have a brake on

mlob1one

WKR
Short action magnum... maybe look at a 7mm-08?
Best bet would be to chat with a local gunsmith and see what he'd suggest.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
N

natedock1

FNG
I love the thought of going to the 6.5 PRC but ammo shortage aside, no one around here ever has PRC ammo to sell or reloading but we will see the occasional boxes of about everything else. I don’t suppose a 6.5 creedmoor would work with the 270 wsm magnum bolt face? On Tikkas website it didn’t look like it cost a ton anyways if a guy had to buy a new bolt.

Dos XX

WKR
You need a bolt with a .473 dia bolt face to go to a 6.5CM, .260, .308, etc. Midwest Gunworks usually has bolts in stock.

Not sure about availability of 7-08 ammo or components, but what about a .308? It would be plenty of gun at 350 yds. A 6.5 CM or .260 would be great as well.

If you decide you wanna start fresh I’d be interested in buying it. I’m in northern MN as well. Been looking for a short magnum donor tikka action

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in process of changing my 270wsm to 6.5prc, just waiting on the barrel, the bolt works you will need a new bolt release and I run long action mags but that’s because I like to run my bullets long 156 Bergers

jfs82

WKR
someone would happily swap your magnum bolt for a standard, then for those ranges and low recoil... 6 mm creedmoor has low recoil and great factory ammo options.

OP
N

natedock1

FNG
You need a bolt with a .473 dia bolt face to go to a 6.5CM, .260, .308, etc. Midwest Gunworks usually has bolts in stock.

Not sure about availability of 7-08 ammo or components, but what about a .308? It would be plenty of gun at 350 yds. A 6.5 CM or .260 would be great as well.
My kid has a 6.5 cm and I love shooting it. I like the idea of switching to that caliber as well since I was able to find 100 pieces of brass, 100 eldx bullets and some superformance powder and my buddy is going to reload 100 rounds for it for me so shooting the same caliber as him would be ideal. I have thought hard about the 7-08 and 308…I like your suggestion

Dos XX

WKR
My kid has a 6.5 cm and I love shooting it. I like the idea of switching to that caliber as well since I was able to find 100 pieces of brass, 100 eldx bullets and some superformance powder and my buddy is going to reload 100 rounds for it for me so shooting the same caliber as him would be ideal. I have thought hard about the 7-08 and 308…I like your suggestion

PNWGATOR

WKR
Find a Tikka .223, pair it with 77 TMKs and Sportsmatch TO84s and a SWFA 6x milquad in mil/mil. Chop it to 20” and add a can. Done.

With this combo you will kill every big game animal on the North American continent inside of 450 yds.

If a .22 centerfire is not legal for big game in your state, the 6mm CM would be the next logical choice. Little recoil. Effective projectiles.

Clarktar

WKR
Find a Tikka .223, pair it with 77 TMKs and Sportsmatch TO84s and a SWFA 6x milquad in mil/mil. Chop it to 20” and add a can. Done.

With this combo you will kill every big game animal on the North American continent inside of 450 yds.

If a .22 centerfire is not legal for big game in your state, the 6mm CM would be the next logical choice. Little recoil. Effective projectiles.
So my .243 is overkill?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Nah…you’ll be okay with that. 😬

He said he didn’t like recoil and wanted to kill stuff within 350.

No sense in overdoing things. 😉

mlob1one

WKR
While you could do the ubiquitous .308, if you'd like less recoil to boot, the 7mm-08 or 6.5 would work. Both parent cases are a .308 and your .270wsm parent is based off a 30 caliber as well.

If I'm wrong I fully expect someone more knowledgeable to correct me.

Both the 7/08 & 6.5cm boast a 30% reducing in recoil over the .308 and within 350 yards will do the job nicely.

I prefer the 7mm-08 personally, but ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
N

natedock1

FNG
I’m in process of changing my 270wsm to 6.5prc, just waiting on the barrel, the bolt works you will need a new bolt release and I run long action mags but that’s because I like to run my bullets long 156 Bergers
what make and model of 270wsm do you have you are doing this conversion with to a 6.5 prc

schmalzy

WKR
My vote is throw a brake on it if you have a decent supply of 270wsm ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: B23