Caliber switch on Tikka T3

B23

WKR
Two guns that I've always thought had snappy bitey recoil to them was 257 Wby and 270 WSM. I've shot a couple different 257 Wby's a lot and the 270 WSM not as much but they both had a similar bite to their recoil. They don't seem to have that shove but rather they are snappy and kind of have a sharp bite to them. One of the 257 Wby I shot quite a lot he put a brake on it and that made a HUGE difference and was like shooting a pop gun after the brake was installed.

If you like the gun and it sounds like you do or you wouldn't even consider rebarreling it to something else put a good quality baffle brake on it and it'll take all the sting out of its recoil and you'll enjoy shooting it much more. Yes I know brakes make guns louder but news flash, guns are loud anyway, particularly magnums, so you really shouldn't be shooting one without some kind of ear protection. Also, most people shoot a lot better when a gun has a brake in it.

I’m in the market for a Tikka as well and this is exactly where I am in the process.

I want to get a do-it-all caliber that will reach out for big game. But I do not want to punish my shoulder or develop a flinch.

For now, I should focus on a caliber that will work for deer. I figure I’m better off getting an elk gun later — when I actually have an elk tag.

My opinions have shifted with each article and video I watched. The 7mm-08 was really intriguing to me but it’s availability seemed like it could be a con against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In tikkas current offerings a 223 8 twist and/or 6.5 creedmoor 8 twist would be hard to beat. Either would handle deer and both have lots of excellent factory ammunition if you don’t reload. The 708 will be a 9.5 twist in tikka and more recoil than necessary for deer.

davsco

WKR
did the OP ever do anything? threading for a brake and throwing on a limbsaver recoil pad will make a HUGE difference.

or prob can get most of your money back by selling what you have and buying one in 6.5 creed.

davsco

WKR
For now, I should focus on a caliber that will work for deer. I figure I’m better off getting an elk gun later — when I actually have an elk tag.
6.5 creed now, plenty of ammo, very little recoil, shoot all you want. plenty for deer.

300 something mag later, with a brake and a limbsaver, recoil is very manageable.

and two guns are better than one!