Calibers Ballistically Similar to the 300 WM/WSM

DAD

FNG
I'm in the market for a new rifle. I have been leaning towards a 300 WM or WSM. It seemed like the obvious caliber and one that I consistently hear about from articles and YouTube videos.

Is there a caliber out there that is ballistically similar to the 300 that wouldn't have the intense recoil?

Wapiti1

WKR
No. What goes out the muzzle is kicked back into your shoulder.

You can mitigate the recoil, but to get to that level of horsepower, there will be recoil. A brake is the easiest route, or get a heavier rifle (9-10lbs).

For a given rifle, If you want less recoil, you have to shoot less bullet weight, powder charge, or both. The suggestions above are all smaller in powder charge and kick less and less.

Sorry, no free lunch on this one.

Jeremy

I would be looking at 7mm/.284 calibers for a good compromise of less recoil but still shooting the 170-180 weight range of bullets, or depending on what you are hunting and how far a 7 shooting the 162 Hornady or the 168 Berger bullets might be a perfect middle ground.

PredatorX

WKR
Have you actually shot a 300 WSM that you are inquiring about? To me recoil is really a non issue unless I am firing many rounds at the range. With a brake I don't really feel it is an issue but I've shot 7mm and 300wm my whole life. I never thought the 300 WSM as intense recoil but it depends on how long you have been shooting.

However, it is pretty clear evidence that lower recoil helps with some accuracy. What do you plan on doing or hunting with the rifle?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
If you want less recoil in 30 caliber, .30-06 or .308.

Ballistically similar, throw the 300 PRC and 30 Nosler into the mix. But, they'll have as much or more recoil than a Win Mag.

Depending on what you're shooting, a 6.5 (PRC or Creed) might be fine.

DavePwns

WKR
6.5 PRC should have similar or better ballistics just smaller diameter and lighter bullets

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
How the the 7 mag stack up against the 300 WM?

Many unanswered questions...

My 300 WSM with a brake hardly kicks at all.

As mentioned the 7mms will get you Better Ballistics for the same recoil (but potentially less top end energy) and the option to go lighter bullets and less recoil.

For 30 cals two others I have that haven't been mentioned are the 300 SAUM, and the 30-06 AI both with similar case capacity. advantages- the saum can go in a true short action, and the '06 AI can go in a regular bolt LA. disadvantages- pretty much need to reload, and fire form.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
If you take the exact same bullet design and compare common grain weights. 7rem 160 grain and 300win 165 grain...they are almost identical in every category out to at least 500 yards. bump the 300 up to a 180gr same bullet design it will have a bit more energy but again wind drift and trajectory will be with a inch or two out to 500 yards.

recoil, action, ammo selection are basically the same.

Last edited:
Both? lol

No, not with lower recoil.

Trajectory and wind deflection ("External Ballistics") is as simple as velocity and the Ballistic Coefficient of a chosen bullet. If you can find a lighter bullet with the same BC and push it at the same velocity, you get the same External Ballistics.

Doing this will result in less energy but as has been discussed into oblivion on this site, Energy doesn't always equal tissue damage (killing potential).

rootacres

WKR
7mm WSM. . . I sold my 300 WSM to build a 7mm WSM. Slightly less recoil, similar weight bullet with higher BCs. It made sense to me. . A 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM are good options.

tdhanses

WKR
7mm WSM. . . I sold my 300 WSM to build a 7mm WSM. Slightly less recoil, similar weight bullet with higher BCs. It made sense to me. . A 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM are good options.
What 7mm bullet is close to 215-245? Or is higher then a .7 BC?