California 2020 Regs out

Dunndm

WKR
They letting out of state people in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushape

WKR
Those stats are such a crock of shit I hope you’re all aware. Do not believe any of it find a place you’d like to hunt and apply

Those stats are such a crock of shit I hope you’re all aware. Do not believe any of it find a place you’d like to hunt and apply

What in particular? Mandatory harvest reporting is in place

brushape

WKR
What in particular? Mandatory harvest reporting is in place

From every draw hunt Me or close friends have ever participated in the numbers they report cannot be true. I hunted x9a last year and hunted it very hard to shoot the first legal buck I saw on the 13th day. There is absolutely no way that unit could have had a 62% success. Previous to that I hunted an archery draw where I shot a nice 4x4 and saw several others taken and the state reported 0% bucks 4 point or better being taken. X6b has been posting great success rates the last few years and I’ve had friends hunting it every year with very low success as well

OP
fish impaler

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Fish and Game has a commission meeting today to discuss authority to close/delay some fishing seasons, no changes to hunting currently being discussed.

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Are you serious! They dropped the jr age to 16? Why would they do that? My daughter who just turned 17 will not be able to apply as a jr in her last year as a jr and instead has to compete with adults? Thanks a lot. We were hoping to finally draw a jr tag after accumulating points since she was able to start applying as a youngster. Instead of being a max point holder this year as a jr she just has a few points as an adult.
Freaking CA... anything they can do to eliminate hunters they'll do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Are you serious! They dropped the jr age to 16? Why would they do that? My daughter who just turned 17 will not be able to apply as a jr in her last year as a jr and instead has to compete with adults? Thanks a lot. We were hoping to finally draw a jr tag after accumulating points since she was able to start applying as a youngster. Instead of being a max point holder this year as a jr she just has a few points as an adult.
Freaking CA... anything they can do to eliminate hunters they'll do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The jr age is bull. As long as your under 18 at the time of the hunt you should qualify as jr in my opinion.

OP
fish impaler

fish impaler

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like they let the provision that previously raised age to lapse, not sure if it was intentional or just an oversight.

Azone

WKR
Looking at the deer drawing stats never gets old. It seems like every year someone must fill out an application wrong to be burning 13 and 14 points on D6 and D9. 13 points was the highest value for a G21 tag, damn. I love spending time in the Ventana, but not 13 years worth of points for that brush patch. Hopefully it was just people cashing out points on their way out of liberal looney land.
DOUBLE CHECK YOUR APPLICATIONS!!! PD first choice for earning a preference point.

Azone

WKR
From every draw hunt Me or close friends have ever participated in the numbers they report cannot be true. I hunted x9a last year and hunted it very hard to shoot the first legal buck I saw on the 13th day. There is absolutely no way that unit could have had a 62% success. Previous to that I hunted an archery draw where I shot a nice 4x4 and saw several others taken and the state reported 0% bucks 4 point or better being taken. X6b has been posting great success rates the last few years and I’ve had friends hunting it every year with very low success as well

The 62 percent was actually the lions and bears and winter kill.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I here this type of thing a lot in the zones I hunt, yet I do not have a problem finding multiple legal bucks every day, and having multiple shot opportunities every day. Here in Southern Ca, we have vast areas that go under and unutilized by deer. Yet every year many hunters are hunting those under and unutilized areas, from what I see in the field. I am very aware of many hunters not reporting their success so that the success rate for their zone appears to be lower than it really is. I have never heard of the opposite happening. So if you are not seeing bucks, may I suggest that you are not hunting in the right places, or you are not spending enough time glassing.

I am not trying to pick on you here, I am trying to give you sound advice.

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like they let the provision that previously raised age to lapse, not sure if it was intentional or just an oversight.
I spoke with CA fish and game yesterday regarding the JR age. You must be under 16 by closing date. They said that the provision was changed 5 years ago to increase the Junior age to under 18. This was done on a trial basis with a sunset of this year. She indicated that there is a bill in the legislature that would have extended the JR age to under 18 for another 5 years but the bill has failed to pass twice. I have no idea why it would not pass. I was pretty upset with their agency.
She could not tell me why they had not sent out a notice during last years draw that this bill was going to expire this year unless renewed so all of us with kids who are turning 16 this year could plan better or so that we could write to our elected officials.
My daughter who has been putting in for the draw since she was 12, and has not drawn, now has to pay an adult license fee and has to compete against thousands of other adults for tags in non-junior draw hunts. Seems fair to me......(sarcasm).
I asked the fish and game if the bill to extend by 5 years got passed prior to the draw would they change the rules back for this year and she said no. Once the rules are released they are permanent for the hunting year.
I'll be working on finding the bill language and writing my legislators to encourage them to pass legislation to permanently change the age to under 18.
California Fish and Game I really appreciate you being open and honest about what your agency is doing.....not! You need to try harder. I stay very much informed on hunting issues in the state and feel blindsided. My daughter started hunting after the age was increased to under 18 so how would I know that this legislation was going change back without adequate notice from the agency, who by the way, continues to collect our fees while giving us barely anything in return.
Does anyone know if other states have rules that treat Juniors as adults when they are anything other than over 17 years of age?

Not deer related, but the Bighorn Sheep tag quota is increasing again. There is a one tag quota for the Old Dad/Kelso zone this year. The area was hard hit by disease a few years ago, but the population is slowly recovering.

Azone

WKR
I spoke with CA fish and game yesterday regarding the JR age. You must be under 16 by closing date. They said that the provision was changed 5 years ago to increase the Junior age to under 18. This was done on a trial basis with a sunset of this year. She indicated that there is a bill in the legislature that would have extended the JR age to under 18 for another 5 years but the bill has failed to pass twice. I have no idea why it would not pass. I was pretty upset with their agency.
She could not tell me why they had not sent out a notice during last years draw that this bill was going to expire this year unless renewed so all of us with kids who are turning 16 this year could plan better or so that we could write to our elected officials.
My daughter who has been putting in for the draw since she was 12, and has not drawn, now has to pay an adult license fee and has to compete against thousands of other adults for tags in non-junior draw hunts. Seems fair to me......(sarcasm).
I asked the fish and game if the bill to extend by 5 years got passed prior to the draw would they change the rules back for this year and she said no. Once the rules are released they are permanent for the hunting year.
I'll be working on finding the bill language and writing my legislators to encourage them to pass legislation to permanently change the age to under 18.
California Fish and Game I really appreciate you being open and honest about what your agency is doing.....not! You need to try harder. I stay very much informed on hunting issues in the state and feel blindsided. My daughter started hunting after the age was increased to under 18 so how would I know that this legislation was going change back without adequate notice from the agency, who by the way, continues to collect our fees while giving us barely anything in return.
Does anyone know if other states have rules that treat Juniors as adults when they are anything other than over 17 years of age?

We need to get a petition going. It needs to include language on 18 and under is and always will be a Jr hunter and the allocation of 75 percent to 90 percent of tags only being for max points holders needs to go. This is so discouraging to younger hunters who could not get into the dreaded point game right off the bat. I understand we have way more demand than supply for certain species and tags in this state. But the modified preference point system needs to go! Totally random draw or squared bonus points, where everyone has a chance at all tags. Not trying to take a cheap shot at the max points guys, you've been dedicated and applying for 17 or 18 years, however long it's been since points were implemented. But the point system is really unfair to the younger generation.

Marble

WKR
We need to get a petition going. It needs to include language on 18 and under is and always will be a Jr hunter and the allocation of 75 percent to 90 percent of tags only being for max points holders needs to go. This is so discouraging to younger hunters who could not get into the dreaded point game right off the bat. I understand we have way more demand than supply for certain species and tags in this state. But the modified preference point system needs to go! Totally random draw or squared bonus points, where everyone has a chance at all tags. Not trying to take a cheap shot at the max points guys, you've been dedicated and applying for 17 or 18 years, however long it's been since points were implemented. But the point system is really unfair to the younger generation.
The last thing I would want is for CA to change their MAX point draw rules. Its is the fairest of all. Some of us have been waiting in line for nearly 20 years, and we are now at the front. Changing the rules would screw all of us who have been waiting.

It's just like anything else. Wait your turn. Only better, because there is always a chance you could draw.

I have not been drawn for any good hunts, ever. But my daughter has as a junior. I have had friends draw, some with max points, some without. But all are predictable and fair.