California 2020 Regs out

jfs82

WKR
Deserving a tag? If you love to hunt, you love to hunt. Whether you have just been introduced recently or been a lifer like some of us should not dictate that you have a lesser chance at a tag. I know some guys that due to age are 4 to 6 years behind the max guys, they will never ever have a shot at the max point tag allocation.
My oldest kid who is 6 will be 25 points behind max when she can start applying in the future, no chance in hell she ever makes it to the max points pool. If the supply is there and it only would be a 3 to maybe 10 year wait with this system, then play ball is my opinion. But given our limited supply you will never be able to get through every one with this system. Squared points and all the guys that have applied forever just have their name in the hat more, while the new people still have a chance that's better than one lousy tag. The max point guys even get a crack at the 1 or 2 random tags before the max point draw is ran. Sorry for the rant.

i don't disagree with any of this, I just recognize it's not likely to happen for me in Ca. For my better chance to get the experience I'm building points in Nevada to use on ewe. I care about the experience more than the horns.

Azone

WKR
i don't disagree with any of this, I just recognize it's not likely to happen for me in Ca. For my better chance to get the experience I'm building points in Nevada to use on ewe. I care about the experience more than the horns.

A man with a plan, that's good to see. I've almost cracked a few times and applied for a cow tule elk tag, just to be able to finally hunt tule elk as a tag holder and not a helper. Good luck to you on the ewe tag.

bowuntr

WKR
i know there are a couple random draw tags for every hunt but the odds o getting one of those are so damn small they are near impossible. they either need to put a cap on the number of maximum points a hunter can have so new hunters have a chance of someday competing for those tags or change everything. Since they largely modeled the point system after colorado my opinion is they need to treat our elk, sheep and antelope tags the way colorado treats moose goat and sheep with a weighted point system. These are tags that are so few in number new hunters will never in their lifeitme be able to compete for the tags with a pure point system like we have right now.

Colorados weighted system is the only system worse than Californians current system. Colorado is looking at changing their weighted system. IMO, the squared system is the best. Ed F

choovhntr

WKR
Colorados weighted system is the only system worse than Californians current system. Colorado is looking at changing their weighted system. IMO, the squared system is the best. Ed F

^^^^I agree! I apply to most western states every year, and I like the way NV does it the best. Everyone has a chance and that chance increases more so each year. Meanwhile, max point hunters still get the best odds.

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I keep seeing the arguing about tag splits and junior age limits ect ect!! But if we all don’t come together in the biggest challenge us tag chasers have in this state all of our kids and us will never be able to draw a tag!!
Ca has a major problem with predators and our ability to manage them are being eroded every year. The deer count #s in round valley were down another 300 plus head and have been for years every year. The tag cut from 3 years ago was supposed to be put back to normal in the x9 zones but was not.
We need to hunt bears with dogs! We need immediate emergency hunting if mountain lions. Yet in a few weeks there will be another hearing on placing them on endangered protections. If that happens state wide we are screwed. And to think the wolves are now breeding and spreading with protections and won’t be long till they travel south.
Everyone in this thread should be prepared to get very active politically over this or honestly we are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
I keep seeing the arguing about tag splits and junior age limits ect ect!! But if we all don’t come together in the biggest challenge us tag chasers have in this state all of our kids and us will never be able to draw a tag!!
Ca has a major problem with predators and our ability to manage them are being eroded every year. The deer count #s in round valley were down another 300 plus head and have been for years every year. The tag cut from 3 years ago was supposed to be put back to normal in the x9 zones but was not.
We need to hunt bears with dogs! We need immediate emergency hunting if mountain lions. Yet in a few weeks there will be another hearing on placing them on endangered protections. If that happens state wide we are screwed. And to think the wolves are now breeding and spreading with protections and won’t be long till they travel south.
Everyone in this thread should be prepared to get very active politically over this or honestly we are done.

How do we go about something like this? Write congressman? Draw up a petition? Obviously bitching, moaning and whining will not do a damn thing for us. I'm all ears to suggestions for this one.
The predator problem is and has been outta control for years. But sadly its probably gonna take several people being killed by lions while out walking their dogs or jogging to sway the public's opinions.

Marble

WKR
1 out of 600 is better than 1 out of 3000. I would personally like 6 chances at a tag instead of 1. But obviously California will never have enough supply to meet demand, like most other places.

Gotta bitch about something 😆
Its 1 out of 3000, then 1 out of 2999, then 1 out of 2998...I understand what you were trying to say, just wanted to clarify.

Marble

WKR

You are right in a practical sense. Everything you said is true. But the real underlying problem in CA is a managment system that is led by a general group of people that do not hunt or fish. They are political appointees. So they make policy based on politics. The hunting age change is a prime example. The entire point of that law was to keep more youth hunting and fishing. Studies show that once someone stops, the rarely continue. It's a shame

Also, something rarely mentioned is the pot industry. Herd numbers have dropped since the mid to late 90s. This is after mountain lion hunting was banned, and pot became sort of legal to grow CA.

I have seen first hand the devastation that occurs to deer near any rural community that relies on MJ. Its poaching, plain and simple.

Marble

WKR
How do we go about something like this? Write congressman? Draw up a petition? Obviously bitching, moaning and whining will not do a damn thing for us. I'm all ears to suggestions for this one.
The predator problem is and has been outta control for years. But sadly its probably gonna take several people being killed by lions while out walking their dogs or jogging to sway the public's opinions.
Organizations like CDA and NWTF were big supporters of the license change to maintain kids as kids until 18. Join them, become active and support them. They have lawyers and lobbyist to do so.

Azone

WKR
Organizations like CDA and NWTF were big supporters of the license change to maintain kids as kids until 18. Join them, become active and support them. They have lawyers and lobbyist to do so.

The pot industry is turning into a plague out here. I'm sure some of them are alright people but most of the ones I've encountered are lazy slobs that trash everything around them.
I was a member of CDA for years but then our local chapter was disbanded. Might have to do some research on what they're doing these days and see if it's worth the money.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
From every draw hunt Me or close friends have ever participated in the numbers they report cannot be true. I hunted x9a last year and hunted it very hard to shoot the first legal buck I saw on the 13th day. There is absolutely no way that unit could have had a 62% success. Previous to that I hunted an archery draw where I shot a nice 4x4 and saw several others taken and the state reported 0% bucks 4 point or better being taken. X6b has been posting great success rates the last few years and I’ve had friends hunting it every year with very low success as well

My friends who have hunted the zones you mentioned over the last few years have had great success.

bowuntr

WKR

Move away... that's what I did. I lived and hunted in California for over 30 years. Most of those years I've been involved in conservation organizations. Very few conservation wins and those wins are being taken away at a higher rate today. I know most cannot leave, I was fortunate and made the best decision of my life, for my family. You only have so many days on this planet. I feel sorry for everyone who has to put up with what is happening in California. Ed F

Move away... that's what I did. I lived and hunted in California for over 30 years. Most of those years I've been involved in conservation organizations. Very few conservation wins and those wins are being taken away at a higher rate today. I know most cannot leave, I was fortunate and made the best decision of my life, for my family. You only have so many days on this planet. I feel sorry for everyone who has to put up with what is happening in California. Ed F
yah i told my 18 year old son to get the hell out of here. due to job, pending retirement etc it would be stupid of me to leave right now. but he certainly does not need to stick around. he is going to school and is going to play baseball wherever he can for a couple more years but after that i said. leave...anywhere but here. i see the things we love doing ending in my lifetime here. makes me sad because I love this state for what it is...and hate it for what it is too.

Azone

WKR
yah i told my 18 year old son to get the hell out of here. due to job, pending retirement etc it would be stupid of me to leave right now. but he certainly does not need to stick around. he is going to school and is going to play baseball wherever he can for a couple more years but after that i said. leave...anywhere but here. i see the things we love doing ending in my lifetime here. makes me sad because I love this state for what it is...and hate it for what it is too.

My wife and I have kicked the idea around alot. Years ago we wanted to move to Colorado but that place has turned into CA 2.0 anymore. I do like Nevada, lots of room to do whatever you want. I have a cousin that moved there years ago and she loves it. My kids are also very close with their grandparents so keeping them from seeing them all the time would be a bummer. I always told my wife that if we didn't bail out in our early, early twenties back when we were dating it would just be harder as time goes on to pull the pin. I'm not ruling it out, it may happen given how this state is just a dysfunctional freak show anymore.
Ed, what part did you move from when you left?

Billinsd

WKR
We are done, and I'm done big game hunting in California after I draw my muzzleloader deer. I'm a max point holder, and drew my sheep and elk tag already. I plan to move in the next few years. Bill

bowuntr

WKR
Ed, what part did you move from when you left?

I was in southern California... moved to Prescott Az. We still have lots of family in Ca and need to commute for visits. I've bowhunted all over California and have drawn some great tags. I left with a lifetime Ca license and still have max sheep points which I hope to cash in some day. Sheep and elk are just a couple of Ca success stories. It really sucks what they did with the youth age... I'd be really pissed if I was there now as I have two 16 year olds. It's really sad to witness what is going on there... Californias only promise is that it will not get any better. You can't prove me wrong with that statement. On the bright side... i spent the last three days lion hunting with my daughter and I'm less than 200 miles from the California border... might as well be in a different country. Ed F

jfs82

WKR
I was in southern California... moved to Prescott Az. We still have lots of family in Ca and need to commute for visits. I've bowhunted all over California and have drawn some great tags. I left with a lifetime Ca license and still have max sheep points which I hope to cash in some day. Sheep and elk are just a couple of Ca success stories. It really sucks what they did with the youth age... I'd be really pissed if I was there now as I have two 16 year olds. It's really sad to witness what is going on there... Californias only promise is that it will not get any better. You can't prove me wrong with that statement. On the bright side... i spent the last three days lion hunting with my daughter and I'm less than 200 miles from the California border... might as well be in a different country. Ed F

How about getting some lions 1 mile from the border so they don't cross over here. Thanks!