California Antelope

Have any of you been lucky enough to draw a California lope tag yet? If so, what unit did you draw and how was the hunting? I’m sitting on max points and can hopefully draw in the next few years (fingers crossed). I’ve hunted them in Nevada and Wyoming but never in my home state.

There are some good resources online with boone and crocket records i think the Lassen Unit had the most records but there are good goats in any of the CA units if you put in the time to scout and dont shoot the first one you see. I would say 80"+ is doable. I would get the DVD from Tony Grimmett about judging antelope as soon as you draw the tag if you are truly trying to make the most of what will probably be a once in a lifetime tag. Good glass is also very important Tripodded 15xs and a good spotter will really help out.

I have managed 2 antelope in Ca, but both were a few decades ago. A whole lot has changed with the herds since then, yet a whole lot is still the same. Be sure to take a trout rod with you incase you fill your tag early.

OP
Spotnspook
There are some good resources online with boone and crocket records i think the Lassen Unit had the most records but there are good goats in any of the CA units if you put in the time to scout and dont shoot the first one you see. I would say 80"+ is doable. I would get the DVD from Tony Grimmett about judging antelope as soon as you draw the tag if you are truly trying to make the most of what will probably be a once in a lifetime tag. Good glass is also very important Tripodded 15xs and a good spotter will really help out.
Thanks for the reply I’ll definitely check out the Tony Grimmetts DVD. I picked up a pair of Swarovski 15x last year that should do the job.