California B Zone Wilderness Blacktail

OregonHunter13

Hello all I am looking into doing an early season archery Blacktail hunt high up in one of the wilderness areas in Northern California such as the Yolly Bollys, Trinity Alps, and Marble mountains. Just wondering about general deer populations in these wildernesses and which ones are most heavily pressured and if it is possible to get away from it. I am a fairly experienced Blacktail hunter in southern Oregon and am willing to trade for information.

Thanks in Advance

The deer numbers are really low for some reason as well. For whatever reason everyone and their 4 brothers are archery hunting in the Yolla Bolly. The Marbles have very few deer but when you see one it is probably a buck. I've hunted the Yolla Bolly a lot. I think the fire displaced the deer and then the drought displaced them further. Last year I went in 6 miles from the trailhead and there were guys everywhere. I don't get it. I saw a few deer down low by the river but they were running scared. I won't be going back. Going to try a different approach this year. Good luck.

Haven’t hunted the trinity alps, but did a backpack trip there once years ago and it was really cool Beautiful country, No idea on the deer numbers though. Anything that’s easy to draw in ca. will have plenty of pressure, but with a little more effort than the other guys which a lot of times isn’t really that much it could be way worth it.

from my experience, the fires only benefited the deer. Bucks were everywhere last year and people found them. If anything the populations will be down do to hunter success from 2021. All of my deer were in their typical spots after the fires, but opening morning in the wilderness was Nothing short of WW3

KC29

FNG
from my experience, the fires only benefited the deer. Bucks were everywhere last year and people found them. If anything the populations will be down do to hunter success from 2021. All of my deer were in their typical spots after the fires, but opening morning in the wilderness was Nothing short of WW3
I have to agree with this. I saw a ton of people and many of them were successful. I'm optimistic for this year still though

Hello all I am looking into doing an early season archery Blacktail hunt high up in one of the wilderness areas in Northern California such as the Yolly Bollys, Trinity Alps, and Marble mountains. Just wondering about general deer populations in these wildernesses and which ones are most heavily pressured and if it is possible to get away from it. I am a fairly experienced Blacktail hunter in southern Oregon and am willing to trade for information.

Thanks in Advance
B zone is a backpackers dream. Plenty of trailheads and since the fires things have really opened up. I would consider getting a bear tag as well.

N9Line

FNG
Get away from trailhead and bushwack and you'll see more critters. If it's harder/more of a PITA to get to, you're less likely to see people.