California Bear Ammo

Which ammo?

• Fed premium - Barnes TSX (180gr)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Barnes Vor-tx - TTSX (168gr)

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
If you had only these two options, which would you choose for California black bear? I'm restricted to non-lead, and due to the ammo availability situation, these are all I have:

- Fed Premium (Barnes TSX 180 gr)

- Barnes Vor-tx (TTSX, 168 gr)

Basically comes down to the weight difference (180 vs 168). But I'm not an ammunition expert, so maybe there's some other nuanced differences between the brands that I'm not considering.

Both shoot well from my rifle. I'm already zeroed with the Fed, and only have 10 rounds left. I'd prefer to confirm zero with a couple rounds, and use that for the hunt if there's no good reason not to. I've got a few boxes of the Vortx.

I don't plan on shooting more than 300 yards.

I've searched many other forums, and see there's a lot of debate with this kind of question. So I'm just curious what some of you experienced bear hunters think in this specific scenario.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211215_235641.jpg
    20211215_235641.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211216_000037.jpg
    20211216_000037.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 30

Moserkr

WKR
Both will kill the bear within 300 yards if placed correctly of course. The 168 would still expand to 500 yards, the 180 to 400, assuming 1800 fps needed for expansion. Copper doesnt expand as well at lower velocities. Your ammo ballistics are listed in the links below. I shoot 180 gr Hornady Outfitter cx bullets out of my 30.06.

OP
H
I use the 180 gn TTSX. Either one will be fine for bear. Eight days left this season...
Yessir, 8 days left! I'm heading out for a 2 night backcountry trip starting Wednesday. Wish I could do a few more days, but my job doesn't agree.! Will take a pig if I see one too...

May be an ignorant/dumb question, but what brand/make/model, etc. makes the 180 gr TTSX? I've only seen the TTSX in 168 grain, with the Barnes Vortx. Maybe because of the ammo shortage? I've never found 180 TTSX.

Thanks for the help!

OP
H
Whichever one shoots better out of your rifle.
I use black hills 180gr tsx.
Glad to hear the 180 is so highly regarded byv you and others. Thanks. I don't know if I'm lucky, or if Bergara makes an amazing rifle/barrel, but I swear I haven't found a round yet that my rifle doesn't shoot/group well. Lead or non-lead, 180 ir 168 grain... they all land within a couple inches at 100 yards, even with the same zero. And that's on a bipod, in the dirt, from prone. And I'm not an expert marksman, so this rifle is impressive.

So I'll definitely go with the 180 gr Fed. I prefer the extra weight. Just wanted to ensure there wasn't a reason not to use it.

OP
H
Both will kill the bear within 300 yards if placed correctly of course. The 168 would still expand to 500 yards, the 180 to 400, assuming 1800 fps needed for expansion. Copper doesnt expand as well at lower velocities. Your ammo ballistics are listed in the links below. I shoot 180 gr Hornady Outfitter cx bullets out of my 30.06.

This is extremely helpful. Thanks.

The expansion relative to distance was one of my main questions/concerns; I've read a lot about that, particularly with non-lead bullets. It's pretty much the main reason I started this thread.

As I said, I can't imagine shooting for vitals beyond 400 yards, so I'm happy to hear the 180 will work within that distance.

Going to check the links you posted now. I'm a Hornady fan in general. Wish I could find it on the shelf out here. Thanks again man.

JohnnyB

WKR
Yessir, 8 days left! I'm heading out for a 2 night backcountry trip starting Wednesday. Wish I could do a few more days, but my job doesn't agree.! Will take a pig if I see one too...

May be an ignorant/dumb question, but what brand/make/model, etc. makes the 180 gr TTSX? I've only seen the TTSX in 168 grain, with the Barnes Vortx. Maybe because of the ammo shortage? I've never found 180 TTSX.

Thanks for the help!
Barnes Vortx comes in 180 grain for 300 win mag (or did when you could buy ammo at sporting goods stores). If you reload you can still find the bullets occasionally.

OP
H
Barnes Vortx comes in 180 grain for 300 win mag (or did when you could buy ammo at sporting goods stores). If you reload you can still find the bullets occasionally.
Oh, got it. Now that you mention it, I think that was the first box of ammo I ever bought for this rifle. Then I never saw it again since.

OP
H
I'd go with the 168gr. Vortex ammo, all else being equal.
Well the good news is I determined yesterday that the zero for both is almost exactly the same at 100 yd. Close enough that it would be a vital shot with either ammo on the same zero out to probably 400 yards (given that I'd need to dial the turret differently for each, as the drop rates are different).

Just curious, why do you prefer the 168?

amassi

WKR
Both are more than sufficient for killing black bears.
I'd take the ttsx as I never liked the tsx

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
Well the good news is I determined yesterday that the zero for both is almost exactly the same at 100 yd. Close enough that it would be a vital shot with either ammo on the same zero out to probably 400 yards (given that I'd need to dial the turret differently for each, as the drop rates are different).

Just curious, why do you prefer the 168?
The velocity should be a bit faster, flatter shooting and better terminal performance. And in my limited experience, the TTSX expands more reliably.

With copper I always opt for faster FPS providing accuracy is acceptable . In my 308 I went from 168 smk’s with lead to 165tsx to 150ttsx to 137 hammers with increasing confidence and performance each move .

If you had only these two options, which would you choose for California black bear? I'm restricted to non-lead, and due to the ammo availability situation, these are all I have:

- Fed Premium (Barnes TSX 180 gr)

- Barnes Vor-tx (TTSX, 168 gr)

Basically comes down to the weight difference (180 vs 168). But I'm not an ammunition expert, so maybe there's some other nuanced differences between the brands that I'm not considering.

Both shoot well from my rifle. I'm already zeroed with the Fed, and only have 10 rounds left. I'd prefer to confirm zero with a couple rounds, and use that for the hunt if there's no good reason not to. I've got a few boxes of the Vortx.

I don't plan on shooting more than 300 yards.

I've searched many other forums, and see there's a lot of debate with this kind of question. So I'm just curious what some of you experienced bear hunters think in this specific scenario.

Thanks.
For hunting bears I always use the heaviest bullet I can find for immediate stopping power. If you do not shoot long distances the heavier bullets will suit you well. For up to 300 yards I would go with the 180grs e.g. 30-06. I you have a heavier caliber increase in weight. Shot placement is the key as well!