California bucks.

So these two are east of I-5 so they won’t count as blacktails but I sure would love to deflate one of them in a couple weeks...have quite a lot of video of both... could be fun
327f9561b89a1437fccaf8310f57983c.jpg
defd70d0f2bafbf9755215373ad37af4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakoski

FNG
Nice!
I am looking forward to this year, my first for archery.

Give em hell!

Can you explain your comment about them not being considered blacktails because they are east of i-5? Thanks.

OP
Huntindog45
I like the bottom one! Good luck!

i have them standing together on camera somewhere in my files and that bottom buck is significantly bigger. He seems like the older of the two. coincidentally about 7 years ago my buddy killed a very big buck about 200 yards from where these pictures were taken and it had a very similar antler configuration..... perhaps these deer are the offspring....that is what i am going with. :)

FreeRange

WKR
As I always understood it to qualify as a record blacktail for the book it has to be shot west of I-5. I heard something recently about a genetic test that can be done on a deer shot east of I-5 and that a positive result will also let a deer qualify as a blacktail. First I'd ever heard of that, maybe someone else can chime in who knows more?

Nice!
I am looking forward to this year, my first for archery.

Give em hell!

Can you explain your comment about them not being considered blacktails because they are east of i-5? Thanks.

wakoski

FNG
As I always understood it to qualify as a record blacktail for the book it has to be shot west of I-5. I heard something recently about a genetic test that can be done on a deer shot east of I-5 and that a positive result will also let a deer qualify as a blacktail. First I'd ever heard of that, maybe someone else can chime in who knows more?

Interesting... Maybe someday I will have to worry whether it is actually a blacktail trophy buck or just a good deer! For now I will just worry about keeping meat in the freezer.

Good luck to all this year!

desertcj

WKR
I'd try for the bottom buck and let the top one grow up for next year. Looks like he could be bigger but needs a year or two?

Maverick940

Banned
I'd try for the bottom buck and let the top one grow up for next year. Looks like he could be bigger but needs a year or two?

They're both mature bucks and probably of similar age. A vast majority of Pacific Mule Deer and Southern Columbian Blacktail Deer, and the hybrids there of, are merely forked horns. The two bucks in the trailcam photos are actually the exception, not the rule. The biggest Zone A or D-Zone buck I ever killed, was a 160-ish 5x5 and that's a giant for that country.

desertcj

WKR
They're both mature bucks and probably of similar age. A vast majority of Pacific Mule Deer and Southern Columbian Blacktail Deer, and the hybrids there of, are merely forked horns. The two bucks in the trailcam photos are actually the exception, not the rule. The biggest Zone A or D-Zone buck I ever killed, was a 160-ish 5x5 and that's a giant for that country.

I live in California and I know what I know. I'd be highly surprised if that top buck didn't turn into a giant in a year or two.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully you get some up close shots of the bottom buck, maybe with a tag on it, good luck Brooks.
Mike

I'm no expert but the bottom buck has a larger neck, larger body with a sway in his back and a sag in his chest. Also his face and nose seem flatter and filled out. Antler size isn't a very good indication when you get into middle aged vs older bucks.

Maverick940

Banned
I'm no expert but the bottom buck has a larger neck, larger body with a sway in his back and a sag in his chest. Also his face and nose seem flatter and filled out. Antler size isn't a very good indication when you get into middle aged vs older bucks.

Yeah, antlers aren't good indicators of age, except in the case of really old or very young male ungulates. Then antlers are a reasonably good indicator of age.

Personally, after having hunted deer the past forty-some years and having hunted a lot of California deer, I'd say those two bucks are mature and of similar age.

Yeah, antlers aren't good indicators of age, except in the case of really old or very young male ungulates. Then antlers are a reasonably good indicator of age.

Personally, after having hunted deer the past forty-some years and having hunted a lot of California deer, I'd say those two bucks are mature and of similar age.

What's your reasoning?