California C zone archery

WKR

WKR
Anyone else draw the A1 tag?
Usually hunt D 3-5 but I wanted to try some different country this year.
Was looking at maybe scouting Ishi wilderness or up higher close to Chester
Anyone have any advice on the C zones I'm all ears.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Thousand lakes? Looks like a long hike in

Bosco301

FNG
Not sure of the dates but C zone deer are migratory. During archery season they should still be higher. I have seen some young bucks outside of Chester. There are some burns that may give you an opportunity to glass. And be ready for competition. Sierra Pacific allows you to hunt their lands but no camping. Never hunt the Tehema Wildlife during rifle season, it is crowded and dangerous. Good luck. I planned on D6 this year but my scouting trip showed my spots were all burned over last year.

wakoski

FNG
Pretty sure most of the Ishi Wilderness is a State Game Refuge where hunting is not permitted. Please correct me if I am wrong.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Just got back from a two day scouting trip at Thousand lakes wilderness in C-3. started at around 6000 feet. Went all the way up to the peak 8549 feet. Not one deer up there. Not even any sign. They are just not up that high yet.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ishi Wilderness in B Zone is nearly all public. Only a small portion of Wilderness is in the Game Refuge along the east side of Etsel Ridge Road.

brn2hnt

WKR
The Ishi Wilderness in B Zone is nearly all public. Only a small portion of Wilderness is in the Game Refuge along the east side of Etsel Ridge Road.

Pretty sure that is Yuki. They are talking about Ishi on the other side of the valley. Up deer creek drainage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakoski

FNG

I was referring to 'c zone' along the Deer Creek drainage, same as brn2hnt noted.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Just got back from scouting up by Chester. Around 4000-6000 feet elevation.
Saw lots of does but no bucks. Was scouting/glassing some old burns and there's lots of sign. Fresh Scat and track everywhere. But couldn't get on the bucks. Maybe the Bachelor groups are up higher? Is it a bad sign to see so many does without any bucks?

MeatBuck

WKR
Just got back from scouting up by Chester. Around 4000-6000 feet elevation.
Saw lots of does but no bucks. Was scouting/glassing some old burns and there's lots of sign. Fresh Scat and track everywhere. But couldn't get on the bucks. Maybe the Bachelor groups are up higher? Is it a bad sign to see so many does without any bucks?
That's just a sign that your in California.

If it were mid November id say it's a bad sign.

Never hunted early season but did the G1 hunt I think in 2004. It was a zoo of hunters but it seemed like the bucks were being taken from a lower elevation area back in and below one of the camping areas. And it was the most rain I can remember while hunting

Jhaury7

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted the Ishi for 10 years. Some resident bucks are around but you’re better off going high. Plus the traffic of hunters near the ishi is unbearable anymore

I would bet about half the deer killed in c zone archery are killed around Chester and the Warner creek valley. There a ton of deer there and also a ton of hunters. The deer are at the very highest elevations during archery season. We hunt them As high as we can get. Year like this year there will still be snow drifts where we hunt. And yea the deer are very much in bachelor groups. I would say it wojluld be rare to see one buck that is not with several other bucks this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk