California Deer Association

Is anyone on here a member or past member of the California Deer Association? I've been looking at different conservation groups that work specifically here in California to support and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the CDA and if they felt their membership and fees paid were being put to use or not.

Cplace

FNG
Can’t say, other than they put on great dinners. I will say someone needs to be looking out for the deer here in CA, because like everything else the state sure is f-ing it up.

OutHeavy

FNG
I can't speak to the CDA, but being a native Californian I can tell you that I support the Mule Deer Foundation and have been a member for awhile. IMHO the CDFW isn't doing enough to manage the deer herds in CA appropriately, so I opted to support an organization that took a broader view of deer and habitat conservation across the West and also recognized blacktail deer in their overarching goals. I think the MDF is doing a good job of managing member contributions and investing in the future of hunting. You want your hard earned dollars to benefit something you believe in, so take this as just my own opinion and know that I can appreciate the process in your decision making.

68Plexi

WKR
I’ve only supported the CDA for a year, but they were quick to lobby, successfully, against SB 252, the San Francisco initiated CA bear hunting ban. The bear population in CA is at a 30 year high so it’s in our deer herds best interest to allow bears to be taken.

Happy with them so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been a member in the past. Only because I enjoy the local banquet. I don’t have much food or bad to say.
I am the chair for the Chico Chapter of California Waterfowl Association. We’d be happy to have you come help the ducks…
Side note, I’ve actually seen some cool projects that RMEF has done in California.

kickemall

WKR
CDA seems to be a good organization. They put out a magazine that highlights their projects with where and how much money is being spent. As said above they were quick to lobby against the bear ban also. If you can get ahold of one of their mags I think it would help convince you to join.

I am a member of CDA, they have a great banquet. They do quite a bit of conservation work related to habitat. They are big with fuel management in California, which in turn benefits deer. As with many conservation groups, CDA has been slowed down a bit due to Covid restrictions in the state. I feel very good about the small amount of $$ I send their way.

Other great groups in California are:
California Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation
Desert Wildlife Unlimited
Society for the Conservation of Bighorn Sheep
Quail Forever (find chapter near you)
Safari Club (find chapter near you)

I’ve done volunteer conservation projects, that were either funded by, or directly with all of the groups listed above. CAWSF has a program called “Give a lamb a drink” or GALAD, which has the goal to double California’s bighorn sheep population. Desert Wildlife Unlimited builds and maintains guzzlers in the Imperial, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego Counties for multiple species, including burro deer, sheep, quail, chukar, etc. The Society for the Conservation of Bighorn Sheep (SCBS) primarily does water work for Desert Bighorn Sheep, they also sponsor scientific study, education, etc. Quail Forever is a great group that primarily works to maintain and rehabilitate California’s aging small game guzzler infrastructure. The Safari Club, which most people think is associated with Africa, is heavily involved in California wildlife conservation. The San Diego Chapter for instance, is heavily involved to reintroduce the Sonoran Pronghorn to it’s native California habitat. The various chapters of the Safari Club also provide grants to all of the other conservation orgs in California for specific projects.

Another group I am a member of, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, has a great California chapter that is positively getting more and more involved. Nationally, I feel like BHA acts too much like PAC (political action committee). Some of their politics (nationally) drive me crazy. They are relatively new to the scene here in California, but are doing more and more positive all the time in this state.

HbDane

WKR
The biggest obstacle for any and all CA deer conservation groups is to petition a mountain lion season. The mountains by my house have 6 resident cats and it's a small hunting area. cA politics regarding hunting and not shooting cats is so F'ing ridiculous.

B-C

FNG
Back country hunters and anglers is another one to consider supporting

I have been a member in the past. Only because I enjoy the local banquet. I don’t have much food or bad to say.
I am the chair for the Chico Chapter of California Waterfowl Association. We’d be happy to have you come help the ducks…
Side note, I’ve actually seen some cool projects that RMEF has done in California.
Small world, I am also from chico. Haven’t tried much wing shooting though!

MattB

WKR
While I am a bit biased, the California Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation is a group that is doing a lot of good work for our sheep.

Another organization in the same space is the Society for the ConservationBighorn Sheep. They do a ton of work on the ground in the desert, much of it relating to water availability. With our changing precipitation patterns, desert bighorn sheep are among the most vulnerable of our bug game species.