California Deer Hunting Guides

Hello - I'm a new member to Rokslide and as my username suggests, I have been humbled by California's public lands for 5 years now, most recently last weekend in D5.

I am a first-generation hunter, but was lucky enough to have some exposure through several friends growing up. I love everything about hunting and want to learn the craft so I can pass it down to my son and daughter, but I've found CA public land to be a tough place to learn. After 5 seasons of research and getting out in the field I feel I'm certainly better than I was when I started (even successfully tracked a deer after it snowed on us last week, but it was a doe), but I'm finally sucking up my pride and acknowledging I need someone to teach me. I'm looking to feed my family more than tag soup every year for my efforts 😅

Ideally, I would like to find a guide who can lead me on a hunt next year either in D3-5 or X8, as those zones are closer to home and will make consistently getting out there more feasible. I'm also looking for a guide on public land, so I can learn how to hunt the areas I'll have access to every year. I'm more than willing to put in the work and am hoping an investment next year will get me started on a lifetime of successful hunts and great memories.

I'm looking for recommendations of guides/outfitters that fit this bill. Appreciate any suggestions and experience that you may have!!

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! Honestly, if I were going to drop 5k + on a guided hunt, it wouldn't be in CA. Take your money to MT, WY, maybe TX. If you're set on CA, check out Arrow Five Outfitters. They have a very good reputation in CA. Good luck!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I know an excellent guide but he does Central cal. If doable let me know. Not sure what his schedule is. likely booked for the rest of this season. I put the word out on ,SCH, Southern Cal. Hunters, Lots of guys from all over the state hang there. best of luck.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Hello - I'm a new member to Rokslide and as my username suggests, I have been humbled by California's public lands for 5 years now, most recently last weekend in D5.

I am a first-generation hunter, but was lucky enough to have some exposure through several friends growing up. I love everything about hunting and want to learn the craft so I can pass it down to my son and daughter, but I've found CA public land to be a tough place to learn. After 5 seasons of research and getting out in the field I feel I'm certainly better than I was when I started (even successfully tracked a deer after it snowed on us last week, but it was a doe), but I'm finally sucking up my pride and acknowledging I need someone to teach me. I'm looking to feed my family more than tag soup every year for my efforts

Ideally, I would like to find a guide who can lead me on a hunt next year either in D3-5 or X8, as those zones are closer to home and will make consistently getting out there more feasible. I'm also looking for a guide on public land, so I can learn how to hunt the areas I'll have access to every year. I'm more than willing to put in the work and am hoping an investment next year will get me started on a lifetime of successful hunts and great memories.

I'm looking for recommendations of guides/outfitters that fit this bill. Appreciate any suggestions and experience that you may have!!
If you get a drop camp out of state you could apply the skills you learn there for camping and hunting to what you're doing here. Even if it were elk or mule deer, you would learn a lot.

Secondarily, hunting in areas where success is tough to come by will teach perseverance, but also waste time. So find a balance between time, money and chance of success. Each area has little hot spots that hold bucks. When you figure out where that is where you are hunting, your success will skyrocket.

I've hunted B zone for years and we kill deer every year, but I do not necessarily kill a CA buck each year. I do know there are areas I do not go into because of time or just a lack of desire to kill a big buck in CA. But that is a choice I make, mainly because I hunt out of state a lot.

If you are slightly more picky on how, where and when you hunt, hunt smarter and harder, you can drive your success rate up.

Also, hunt whatever species you can. It all helps.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

As a hunter from from SoCal I view my time hunting here as a way to keep the skills sharp. If you’re up that a ways I’d pick up a bear tag and use that as a way to put some meat in the freezer. Some shy away but myself and the mrs have really enjoyed it. I’d pay for an out of state hunt and pick a guide willing to teach and use those skills when you get home. Your dollar and experience will probably go further out of state.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I also hunt the D zones for 10 years now, very tough, but gets easier after a few years of hunting same general areas. Finding those pockets with bucks is key, and only way I’ve found is to spend a lot of time on the mountain in the same general area, keeping good records of sign. I kill deer every year (mostly) out of state, but consider it a great year in the D zones if put a stalk on legal deer regardless of kill or not!