California hog... traditional style...

bowuntr

WKR
I got the bug this past fall to get a new traditional bow... a custom one made just for me. South Cox was making some beautiful bows at Stalker Stickbows. I knew South and being that he is a California boy I ordered a Striker Wolverine FXT with Cocobolo, Bocote and a little Snakewood. It only took a few months and came in at 62" #52 @28... beautiful. I chose some CX shafts, feathers and tipped them with Muzzy Phantom 125's. I practiced almost daily and became proficient at 25 yards and in. I went old school and added a clicker to control my finger release target panic that haunted me for years... My goal was to get proficient and put down a pig and a coyote... hogs and dogs.
On the weeks leading up to this hunt I called in and missed two coyotes at 15 yards. Both standing still, asking me to sent the Phantom thru their heart... not to be.

Well, My buddy Nate (SDHNTR)invited me to go on a Tejon Ranch hog hunt this week. It worked perfectly into my F'ed up schedule of working weekends on graveyard. The first evening we found some hogs right before dark. Nate deferred the first stalk to me (thanks Nate). The hog was sidehilling it towards me. I gained some elevation to set up an ambush. The hog walked in to some trees and brush and never came out. I glassed where I last saw her and spotted it bedded down. It looked like there were two hogs and there was no way I was gonna get any closer to them from where I was. There was a rugged filled brush gulley between me and them. I backed out and came in from below. They were in a depression. I closed the distance to about 8 yards and saw that one of the hogs was up and looking my way. It was a standoff for about five minutes. The hog didn't see me but probably heard me. It started coming forward to check me out and then busted out of there. I took a couple more steps and one stopped to looked back, I was at full draw and skewered that sucker. Buried to the fletch thru both lungs. Oh my, that was a good feeling. The hog went 20 yards and rolled down the hill.. a 200+ pound sow, Sweet... This was not my first traditional kill... but it was the most rewarding. Ed F

Attachments

• practice1.jpg
    practice1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 114
  • hog2.jpg
    hog2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 112
  • ed_recurve1.jpg
    ed_recurve1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 122
That's awesome Ed. South does make a nice bow, they are works of art really. Did you all get that filmed? I need to get to Tejon Ranch one of these days.

That would be a cool hunt to see on film with the green hills, flowers, and California poppies in bloom and all this time of year. That would be an awesome hunt to see on film.

Craig4791

WKR
Awesome Ed! A trad bow is the next thing on my wish list. Beautiful bow I'll have to check those out when I get ready to order.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice Ed....

Tenon has some restrictions on filming hunts in their land....just FYI for those thinking the could do it without issue.

Nice Ed....

Tenon has some restrictions on filming hunts in their land....just FYI for those thinking the could do it without issue.

Bummer, that's what I hear more and more out there in wilderness areas and such too. At least for folks getting some income off it on TV. Seems like the permit process and restrictions can take some of the fun out of things. Some of the hunts I read about like this would be so cool to see on film.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sure was fun. I had a successful stalk, but an unsuccessful shot with my 'curve the next morning. I'm thoroughly impressed with guys who can get it done with stick bows.

JNDEER

WKR
Congrats again!

SD- your time will come. Being in on that group for that long must have been awesome. Great learning experience if nothing else.

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
I got another one... I hunted Tejon Ranch last week witha group from the California Bowmen Hunters and was able to sneak an arrow in to this guy. I still haven't arrowed a coyote yet... I'm not going to give up just yet. Ed F

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 40

Shot

FNG
Congrats Ed! Two for Two on with 'curve. Nicely done.

I'm also trying to arrow my first coyote, hopefully soon.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16