California Hunters? Where you at?

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Im gonna pick up my B zone tag this weekend. Im a totally green hunter and joined the site a couple of years ago when I first decided to try and go after deer. I was student teaching and found some bucks in the marbles before the season, then never had the chance to make it back and just went on a couple of unsuccessful day hunts. Last year I had a baby and didn't hunt for deer. Im hoping this will be the year. Being a teacher makes it a bit difficult to spend a ton of time out there in september, but I'm hoping I can make it work!

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to hunting and live in Oakland (previously in Colorado), so like the member from Marin, I may be the only one in my neck of the woods. Just mentioning you own a firearm gets the stink eye from most people around here.

I hunt B zone every year and used to hunt D6. I drew A30 last year and struck out, so starting over on points. Unfortunately I had a major health issue that came out of nowhere over the new year. Not sure if I’ll be able to do any strenuous hiking or even tolerate any altitude. We will see. Good luck to everyone in the draw.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Nice one OP!
I'm in NM now,but lived in SLO Co. for most of my life hunting the Azone, D-7,X9a,b X10.
My best run was filling 2 tags for 10 yrs straight in A & D7 in 90's. Blacktails ,Coastal crosses,Sierra Mulies & one Inyo buck.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
If there's anyone around the East Bay that's willing to take a newbie under their wing tis season I'd love to get out there and be a humble apprentice. Have a background in hiking, camping and alpine climbing, new to hunting.

44 years old, work in healthcare, have every other weekend off and days off during the week.

Jakev_93

FNG
I hunt B zone every year and used to hunt D6. I drew A30 last year and struck out, so starting over on points. Unfortunately I had a major health issue that came out of nowhere over the new year. Not sure if I’ll be able to do any strenuous hiking or even tolerate any altitude. We will see. Good luck to everyone in the draw.

how was A30? I drew it 4 years ago and the deer herd was looking pretty dismal lots of small forks and 3’s only seen 1 true giant on private and ended up killing this 23” 4x3. Very happy with the buck just sad to see the herd in such bad shape compared to what it used to be.

Attachments

• 79C97C37-740F-46F5-ADFE-9C367ED5B024.jpeg
    79C97C37-740F-46F5-ADFE-9C367ED5B024.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DF3017C3-AD23-445A-9AE8-8027FCC6A5E4.jpeg
    DF3017C3-AD23-445A-9AE8-8027FCC6A5E4.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 55
how was A30? I drew it 4 years ago and the deer herd was looking pretty dismal lots of small forks and 3’s only seen 1 true giant on private and ended up killing this 23” 4x3. Very happy with the buck just sad to see the herd in such bad shape compared to what it used to be.
I hunt on a friends family property that is very remote and surrounded by National Forest. The herd in his area seems pretty healthy and consistent over the years. The weird part of this year was we took 7 bucks during the regular season including a big 4 x3 with eye guards. But when the A30 started I think the lack of weather was an issue. Saw some small forks the first couple of days but nothing big until the last day, and he was 100 yards away. Every year someone draws that tag I hear about how it’s over run with big bucks. But not last year lol. Just my luck.

Super nice buck by the way !

Ended up shooting a bear with my rifle as a consultation prize.

Gotholga

FNG
From San Jose and first time hunting didn’t know what area to go for so got d3-5. It’ll be a learning experience.

FishTacos

FNG
I hunt the A north when I don't have a lot of time and get into the D zones with the archery when I have more time. In my experience it has not been an easy go.

Gotholga

FNG
I hunt the A north when I don't have a lot of time and get into the D zones with the archery when I have more time. In my experience it has not been an easy go.
Is there any thing in your experience that you recommend when going to D zones? I was speaking to someone at the store while doing a dros and he recommended going as high and as far away from road as I can.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is there any thing in your experience that you recommend when going to D zones? I was speaking to someone at the store while doing a dros and he recommended going as high and as far away from road as I can.
Depends on where in D zone. The opposite of that advice is what I’d advise in certain areas of the D zones.

I'm new to hunting and live in Oakland (previously in Colorado), so like the member from Marin, I may be the only one in my neck of the woods. Just mentioning you own a firearm gets the stink eye from most people around here.

You’re not the only one. I’m in Oakland as well....sort of. Been here 16 years, but in the process of moving to southern Oregon. I will keep my job and house in Oakland, though, so I plan on always hunting at least a bit in California.

It’s pretty hilarious at times, feeling like the only hunter in this city. Some of the neighbors have become accustomed to me butchering animals in the driveway and backyard. I share meet with my friends and neighbors, so hopefully that has a positive influence on their perceptions of hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

Get a bear tag and don’t expect to see many deer. If we Californians want to see more deer in the mountains one of the only things we can help control is bear populations.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
east bay, i hunt up in b zone and a zone. Mostly private land. But going for a bear and my buddy drew bighorn sheep. Bowhunter maybe backup rifle last weeks

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
east bay, i hunt up in b zone and a zone. Mostly private land. But going for a bear and my buddy drew bighorn sheep. Bowhunter maybe backup rifle last weeks

East Bay here also. Live on 200 acres and hunt year round.

Congrats to your buddy on the sheep that’s so awesome! Which unit did he draw?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Get a bear tag and don’t expect to see many deer. If we Californians want to see more deer in the mountains one of the only things we can help control is bear populations.

Where are you hunting in D zones where there are “no deer”. This is just bogus information. I tag out on a buck every year in D zone on public land.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not the only one. I’m in Oakland as well....sort of. Been here 16 years, but in the process of moving to southern Oregon. I will keep my job and house in Oakland, though, so I plan on always hunting at least a bit in California.

It’s pretty hilarious at times, feeling like the only hunter in this city. Some of the neighbors have become accustomed to me butchering animals in the driveway and backyard. I share meet with my friends and neighbors, so hopefully that has a positive influence on their perceptions of hunting.

im over in east oakland by 94th

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider

Interesting, I've considered moving Southern Oregon as well, but I'm stuck here for 2 more years for grad school. Owning firearms here is also an interesting exerpeince since everyone here is so anti-gun. I just got back from my friends cattle ranch where I helped them slaughter a few cows. I'm new to hunting so it was an amazing opportunity to learn how to gut and skin and ask a ton of questions and get some hands-on experience.