California Hunters? Where you at?

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Roseville here. Archery only tag so I’ll be doing some A zone and D3-4. Otc elk out of state every year if I don’t draw anywhere. Prob my last year here. Looking to move to ID. Spent some time checking out CDA and Eagle/Star/Horseshoe Bend. I can’t stand it here no offense. I grew up in Eureka loving the outdoors but now politics, people, and quality of life raising kids, I don’t want this for em. Hopefully this will be the last season I kill a buck here. Get out why you can. Lol

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
And almost .50 cents per acre to join?
If its good hunting, then its a deal. I pay $1500 for a poorly managed property with too many hunters. I like it because I can use the ranch year round and my kids enjoy the offseason up there. And the quail hunting is pretty good.

MeatBuck

WKR
If its good hunting, then its a deal. I pay $1500 for a poorly managed property with too many hunters. I like it because I can use the ranch year round and my kids enjoy the offseason up there. And the quail hunting is pretty good.
$1500 for year round access is a decent deal... $3000 or more for 2 bucks (maybe 100lbs meat) is not a deal in my opinion. Could probably do a guided trophy hunt for that $3000.

Nothing better then tagging out after scouting a new area! Put in the work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattyq17

FNG
San Luis Obispo County here, just found this site. Anyone else on the Central Coast? I have only hunted Southern A zone in Ca, been to Colorado a few times down near Durango.

im in Oakley my brother used to back pack into trinity a spell . sitting on dam D5 PLM tag right now im about to eat cause of this dam weather pure migration spot. oh well.

Azone

WKR
San Luis Obispo County here, just found this site. Anyone else on the Central Coast? I have only hunted Southern A zone in Ca, been to Colorado a few times down near Durango.

There seems to be a few of us floating around on here. I'm north of you up in the south end of the Salinas Valley.

Azone

WKR
You ever get down to Rock Front Miranda pines area? If so hit me up Matt

I'm usually at Hunter Liggett or up in the Arroyo Seco and Carmel Valley areas. Every now and then a private land bone gets tossed my way, but its rare. Or too damned expensive!

Mattyq17

FNG
I'm usually at Hunter Liggett or up in the Arroyo Seco and Carmel Valley areas. Every now and then a private land bone gets tossed my way, but its rare. Or too damned expensive!

I havent been to Liggett in a few years my buddy goes up there every year, we might go next year but he just got a job at VAFB and can take a guest so I know we will try that out too. If we head to Liggett I will send you a PM.

Mattyq17

FNG
He got 2 bucks off it this year, nothing to write home about but says there are some big bucks and pigs out there. We are gonna try and go quail hunting over the holidays and if we do I will report back with my findings. I have seen pictures over the years of some really good bucks taken from there so hopefully next year I will have a picture up here of me with one!!

He got 2 bucks off it this year, nothing to write home about but says there are some big bucks and pigs out there. We are gonna try and go quail hunting over the holidays and if we do I will report back with my findings. I have seen pictures over the years of some really good bucks taken from there so hopefully next year I will have a picture up here of me with one!!
My hunting buddy grew up hunting VAFB and killed some really nice bucks there over the years. He hunted it this year and said not nearly as many bucks as before and definitely not a lot of big bucks anymore. Lot of hunting pressure too.

Mattyq17

FNG
My hunting buddy grew up hunting VAFB and killed some really nice bucks there over the years. He hunted it this year and said not nearly as many bucks as before and definitely not a lot of big bucks anymore. Lot of hunting pressure too.

Ya I talked to my buddy last night he said it’s definitely not as good as it used to be but they have closed off a few areas to let the deer recoup and will be opening them back up over the next few years. We will see....

You ever get down to Rock Front Miranda pines area? If so hit me up Matt
Ya I talked to my buddy last night he said it’s definitely not as good as it used to be but they have closed off a few areas to let the deer recoup and will be opening them back up over the next few years. We will see....
Not sure about the rules at VAFB but pre-season scouting might be a good option. Go look for them while they are in velvet and no one out there pushing them around. Also maybe some trail game cameras would help. I don’t know for sure but probable that the lack of numbers of quality bucks because there are lots of mountain lions on the Central Coast, I know my buddy has seen a few on the base and we have seen plenty out in Los Padres in forest off hwy 166. (Near Miranda Pines/Sierra madre road) we have hunted that area a lot btw.

Mattyq17

FNG
Not sure about the rules at VAFB but pre-season scouting might be a good option. Go look for them while they are in velvet and no one out there pushing them around. Also maybe some trail game cameras would help. I don’t know for sure but probable that the lack of numbers of quality bucks because there are lots of mountain lions on the Central Coast, I know my buddy has seen a few on the base and we have seen plenty out in Los Padres in forest off hwy 166. (Near Miranda Pines/Sierra madre road) we have hunted that area a lot btw.

We plan to bow hunt and use that for scouting. We hunted Miranda pines area this year a few weekends didn’t see any lions but know they are there for sure. We were down off pine mountain road and around the Kerry canyon trail. Maybe I will see you out there next year.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle