California Hunting First time

OP
S
I’m in Orange County. My best advice is don’t waste your time with So Cal.
The X zones up north are the only decent zones but it takes near a lifetime of points to get a tag for them.
I don’t mean to sound discourging, but i was a newbie like yourself many years ago and I wasted a LOT of time hunting my home state in vain.
I just don’t want you to do the same.
PM me if you’d like more recommendations.
I would definitely like to hear more things.

horniac

FNG
Wow thanks for all the advice. So what i ended up doing was pd, D14, and X12(Heard good things about this place.) Now that i placed these hopefully lady luck is on my side. Now lets say I get lucky and manage to land a buck. Any advice on what to do since I dont know how to skin one or does anyone know of a good butcher that could teach me how to do this? I dont think youtube videos will give me that hands on experience.
Hopefully you put X12 as your 1st choice (<1% draw odds for a random tag last year) with D-14 as your second choice. They look at everyone’s first choice first before moving on to the second choice so if you listed PD or D-14 first you will draw a D14 tag and unfortunately will never be considered for the X12 tag.

I don’t know D14 at all but there was an estimated 363 bucks killed in D14 last year with an estimated 15% success rate so it is possible to kill a buck in that unit if you put in the time. Youtube videos are a good source to learn what to do when you have a buck on the ground...

I would take up the offer from JRMiller as he is from Orange County and familiar with the hunting down there...

Horniac

Like others have said, hunt the units close to home that you can spend the most time in. If you can swing it try and get to Wyoming for an antelope hunt, should be some leftover tags you can pick up and antelope are everywhere. It’ll give you the best chance to put meat in the freezer and get you used to killing animals. Also I feel like with new hunters, finding success is huge at keeping you interested in hunting. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

87TT

WKR
D14 has 3000 tags and 363 deer taken. That's barely 12% success not 15%. Ca is as terrible with math as they are game management. Historically, D14 has been around 10% give or take. It can be a good zone if you can learn it and great zone to learn to hunt in.If you are trying for a X zone, then you need to go there and learn the zone before hand. And that means during hunting season as the deer are not going to be where or act like they do at other times. The bonus is, the fishing as awesome that time of year.

Azone

WKR
If you’re brand new to hunting you might want to try a guided hog hunt if you can’t land any people to show you the ropes. A good guide should be more than happy to show you the basics on field dressing and meat care. With that being said, there’s already some great advice given in this thread, no need to repeat it. My two cents about it out here is it’s usually hot, tough, slow and hot. If you put in the time and effort there are rewards to be had. I’m a few hours north of you in the southern end of Monterey county. Feel free to p.m. about any questions you may have. Welcome to the forum.

horniac

FNG
D14 has 3000 tags and 363 deer taken. That's barely 12% success not 15%. Ca is as terrible with math as they are game management. Historically, D14 has been around 10% give or take. It can be a good zone if you can learn it and great zone to learn to hunt in.If you are trying for a X zone, then you need to go there and learn the zone before hand. And that means during hunting season as the deer are not going to be where or act like they do at other times. The bonus is, the fishing as awesome that time of year.
The 15% was what was listed as ”Estimated Success“ in the current Big Game Hunting Digest for D14.

I guess not all tag holders do their mandatory harvest reporting so the estimated success exceeds the reported success rate and includes the following;

Reported deer harvest, non-reporting rates (NRR) and estimated deer harvest based on ALDS license reports

Anyhow, whether it is 12% (actual reported) or 15% (estimated) we are splitting hairs as it is still not a great success rate but pretty much at par with the other OTC deer hunts in CA...

Horniac

Northpark

WKR
Honestly I’d follow Azones advice and go on a guided hunt if you don’t have experienced friends to help you out. A guided hog hunt there with bow or rifle can be exciting and a good chance of at least having a shot opportunity. Once you put an animal on the ground your guide can teach you what to do. Guided antelope in WY or guided exotic hunts in Texas for things like free range Axis does can be very affordable if your willing to travel out of state. I think I’ve seen some solid antelope hunts for around the $1800-$2000 mark and free range axis does in TX for around $800-$1000.

2rocky

WKR
As a first time hunter, I'd say time in the field is the most important. You are just 2 hours from Tejon Ranch. I'd look at that if spending money on a guided hunt/membership is an option.

The memberships come with guest passes so you could bring along a mentor. Most savvy SoCal hunters would jump at the chance to hunt 220,000 acres of private.

agtex42

FNG
You get your rifle/load figured out yet? I’m new to SoCal new, have never been required to shoot lead-free for big game and it took a few different boxes to find out what my gun liked.

TheGDog

WKR
I'm in North OC. Just started hunting in 2014.

I've already taken 3 deer outta D15 (THEE lowest success rate zone in the state).

2 w/ rifle 1 w/ bow.

You can do it. It can be done. You have to want it. Bad. I wanted it....Bad.

2018 was a nogo. Had a young barely legal forkie "jump-the-string" and my arrow sailed just over his back. 2nd arrow had less hope of contact, and didn't. 2019 got a Bobcat last day of Deer Season (just before the ban) so sort of a consolation prize.

You will need TrailCams. And trips spent putting them out, and going back to check on them.

And even if/when your cams show you they are there... they still may happen to not show up during shooting hours all the time you put in waiting for them during the season. If you're done your homework right, you will have some does come by though.

For you to make it work, you'll likely have to pre-pack-in a few extra gallons of water ahead of time. So you're not killing yourself with weight when it's go-time. Then... get you a leafy-suit and mesh face-mask. Pick a good spot in the shade where your scent doesn't blow in the direction you expect them to come in from, and then? Just do your best to be patient and remain as cool as you can.

Also... I wouldn't recommend hunting nearer to roads. And if you do? Make sure you at least stick an orange hat on your pack sitting beside you or something so some foolish person doesn't let their 15yo daughter point their rifle DIRECTLY at you, because they were using their scope in place of binoculars. Yeah... that really did happen.

P.S. Some advice - Hunting is not like you think it is when you're a n00b. It's NOT walking around all day, thinking that will increase the chances you'll run into something. Not at all. As a Human, you are reDONKulously loud in the forest. It's more like you let evidence suggest to you that a certain area *may* be a decent choice to spend a day or half a day sitting on it, not moving, watching and listening. It depends on the habitat and terrain though. Different terrain types can require a bit different strategy. Get used to hiking-in in the dark a couple hours BEFORE the sun will come up... and staying until AFTER it's dark and you can't see anymore before leaving. If you don't? Chances are very high you ain't seein' chit. Watch videos showing you the "Gutless Method" for deboning a deer out in the field. You will need a good quality hunting pack so the weight of the pack-out won't murder ya. Get you some nice lightweight 3-section Trekking poles. Buy you a Cabelas Kwik Stix shooting sticks. A Havalon replaceable blade scalpel knife, and Kifaru Meat Bags. OH yeah... and definitely treat yourself to some Foxriver liner socks together with Darn Tough brand Hiking Wool Socks! I have feet that blister and crack super easy and this combo has helped the most. Had to do about 24mi in one day before carrying out the meat first, then back in to fetch the tent and stuff. No way I could have done that without the right footwear and socks. No way.

Last edited:
OP
S
Hey guys,
I finally heard from the draw and I managed to get a tag for D14, and D15. with that said if you guys are gonna be going hunting in these areas and can show me a thing or two I would appreciate it.

OP
S
You get your rifle/load figured out yet? I’m new to SoCal new, have never been required to shoot lead-free for big game and it took a few different boxes to find out what my gun liked.
I ended up going to LAX ammo. Seems like they are the only place in socal that has ammo available. I didnt have any luck with turners, ammo bros, and big 5. If you guys are looking to buy some ammo i would recommend them. As far as sighting in my rifle I haven't done so yet but I will probably go to burro canyon before the season starts. Anyone up to get a private lane let me know that way we can sight in the riffles better.

TheGDog

WKR
Well heck man. I'd been meaning to checkout D14 one of these days. Send me contact info. Perhaps we can pair up for a hike thru D15... then later on I can back you up in D14 with a Spotting scope perhaps? When i go with ya into D14, my goal would be bear.

That sounds like a cool plan for learning more land. And having backup to do it.

OP
S
I'm in North OC. Just started hunting in 2014.

I've already taken 3 deer outta D15 (THEE lowest success rate zone in the state).

2 w/ rifle 1 w/ bow.

You can do it. It can be done. You have to want it. Bad. I wanted it....Bad.

2018 was a nogo. Had a young barely legal forkie "jump-the-string" and my arrow sailed just over his back. 2nd arrow had less hope of contact, and didn't. 2019 got a Bobcat last day of Deer Season (just before the ban) so sort of a consolation prize.

You will need TrailCams. And trips spent putting them out, and going back to check on them.

And even if/when your cams show you they are there... they still may happen to not show up during shooting hours all the time you put in waiting for them during the season. If you're done your homework right, you will have some does come by though.

For you to make it work, you'll likely have to pre-pack-in a few extra gallons of water ahead of time. So you're not killing yourself with weight when it's go-time. Then... get you a leafy-suit and mesh face-mask. Pick a good spot in the shade where your scent doesn't blow in the direction you expect them to come in from, and then? Just do your best to be patient and remain as cool as you can.

Also... I wouldn't recommend hunting nearer to roads. And if you do? Make sure you at least stick an orange hat on your pack sitting beside you or something so some foolish person doesn't let their 15yo daughter point their rifle DIRECTLY at you, because they were using their scope in place of binoculars. Yeah... that really did happen.

P.S. Some advice - Hunting is not like you think it is when you're a n00b. It's NOT walking around all day, thinking that will increase the chances you'll run into something. Not at all. As a Human, you are reDONKulously loud in the forest. It's more like you let evidence suggest to you that a certain area *may* be a decent choice to spend a day or half a day sitting on it, not moving, watching and listening. It depends on the habitat and terrain though. Different terrain types can require a bit different strategy. Get used to hiking-in in the dark a couple hours BEFORE the sun will come up... and staying until AFTER it's dark and you can't see anymore before leaving. If you don't? Chances are very high you ain't seein' chit. Watch videos showing you the "Gutless Method" for deboning a deer out in the field. You will need a good quality hunting pack so the weight of the pack-out won't murder ya. Get you some nice lightweight 3-section Trekking poles. Buy you a Cabelas Kwik Stix shooting sticks. A Havalon replaceable blade scalpel knife, and Kifaru Meat Bags. OH yeah... and definitely treat yourself to some Foxriver liner socks together with Darn Tough brand Hiking Wool Socks! I have feet that blister and crack super easy and this combo has helped the most. Had to do about 24mi in one day before carrying out the meat first, then back in to fetch the tent and stuff. No way I could have done that without the right footwear and socks. No way.
Wow great advice. Thank you. You recommend any deer call that I could use?

TheGDog

WKR
I have Primos Uproar. I have used the buck grunt part of it. Sparingly and had some success in making them curious to come on in and check me out.. Blowing it kind like a single soft grunt that's kinda like you're saying "Hey...is Anyone Here?"...then wait 2-3 min and the brief call again, then just watch.

Last edited: