California Inland Blacktail Rut - Questions

Hi y'all,
I've looked around online, but can't find what I'm looking for. I finally drew a tag and will be hunting during the rut in Norcal. My question is can you rattle or call blacktails? I talked to the warden and he said it doesn't seem to work like it does on whitetails. He also said the rut is the first couple weeks in November and his best advice is to look for rubs and follow the does. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

JNDEER

WKR
Agree with November comment.

I have heard of people trying the rattling- but it’s not a proven method for California deer.

My opinion: you can 100% rattle blacktail anywhere, though its a pre rut and rut tactic and can take hours or minutes depending on the spot...its never a 100% success type deal but neither is bugling elk...I have friends who have called in bucks in late September in A zone rattling. Guys in Oregon have been doing it for a long while...and calling with fawn bleats. Id setup near doe bedding areas, down wind on trails...buck rubs tend to be around buck bedding no hunting on rubs or using them as a sign that a buck will be through isn't always a solid plan because rubs are historical data, if its fresh thats a different story haha but I also wouldn't be scouting in bedding areas during season personally. Following the does is good advice but also remembering rutting bucks are cruising edges. Rut in California really varies depending on the pocket of deer and location...bucks rut where I hunt in A zone end of September early October and can continue through mid November...though I have friends who hunt spots further north and see full rut last week of season. Though some wardens would know and be a GREAT resource especially if there's a hunt like in your case, others are about as good a resource on buck behavior as a cashier at bass pro (lots of friends who are wardens, they would be the first to admit they are better at catching poachers than deer haha). Id do some homework on how the boys in southern Oregon get it done, also the hunting beast youtube channel big woods stuff thats been dropping on youtube is good and there's lots of universal deer behavior across bucks in timber. The only reason rattling isn't big for california is because we don't have a OTC season during the rut and most guys don't hunt from trees. I am by no means an expert or even close and im sure there are guys on here that would have better input than me. Id say study white tail hill country big timber rut tactics and Oregon stuff and then throw a plan together! Good luck!

OP
B
My opinion: you can 100% rattle blacktail anywhere, though its a pre rut and rut tactic and can take hours or minutes depending on the spot...its never a 100% success type deal but neither is bugling elk...I have friends who have called in bucks in late September in A zone rattling. Guys in Oregon have been doing it for a long while...and calling with fawn bleats. Id setup near doe bedding areas, down wind on trails...buck rubs tend to be around buck bedding no hunting on rubs or using them as a sign that a buck will be through isn't always a solid plan because rubs are historical data, if its fresh thats a different story haha but I also wouldn't be scouting in bedding areas during season personally. Following the does is good advice but also remembering rutting bucks are cruising edges. Rut in California really varies depending on the pocket of deer and location...bucks rut where I hunt in A zone end of September early October and can continue through mid November...though I have friends who hunt spots further north and see full rut last week of season. Though some wardens would know and be a GREAT resource especially if there's a hunt like in your case, others are about as good a resource on buck behavior as a cashier at bass pro (lots of friends who are wardens, they would be the first to admit they are better at catching poachers than deer haha). Id do some homework on how the boys in southern Oregon get it done, also the hunting beast youtube channel big woods stuff thats been dropping on youtube is good and there's lots of universal deer behavior across bucks in timber. The only reason rattling isn't big for california is because we don't have a OTC season during the rut and most guys don't hunt from trees. I am by no means an expert or even close and im sure there are guys on here that would have better input than me. Id say study white tail hill country big timber rut tactics and Oregon stuff and then throw a plan together! Good lu

My opinion: you can 100% rattle blacktail anywhere, though its a pre rut and rut tactic and can take hours or minutes depending on the spot...its never a 100% success type deal but neither is bugling elk...I have friends who have called in bucks in late September in A zone rattling. Guys in Oregon have been doing it for a long while...and calling with fawn bleats. Id setup near doe bedding areas, down wind on trails...buck rubs tend to be around buck bedding no hunting on rubs or using them as a sign that a buck will be through isn't always a solid plan because rubs are historical data, if its fresh thats a different story haha but I also wouldn't be scouting in bedding areas during season personally. Following the does is good advice but also remembering rutting bucks are cruising edges. Rut in California really varies depending on the pocket of deer and location...bucks rut where I hunt in A zone end of September early October and can continue through mid November...though I have friends who hunt spots further north and see full rut last week of season. Though some wardens would know and be a GREAT resource especially if there's a hunt like in your case, others are about as good a resource on buck behavior as a cashier at bass pro (lots of friends who are wardens, they would be the first to admit they are better at catching poachers than deer haha). Id do some homework on how the boys in southern Oregon get it done, also the hunting beast youtube channel big woods stuff thats been dropping on youtube is good and there's lots of universal deer behavior across bucks in timber. The only reason rattling isn't big for california is because we don't have a OTC season during the rut and most guys don't hunt from trees. I am by no means an expert or even close and im sure there are guys on here that would have better input than me. Id say study white tail hill country big timber rut tactics and Oregon stuff and then throw a plan together! Good luck!
Thanks for all that info! I definitively have a lot to research, but man I'm excited to have an opportunity to hunt the rut here in ca. It makes sense that the tactics in the east would work here too. Like you said people rarely have a chance to hunt that late in the season.

Tmac

WKR
Good info from SnS. I’d add the bucks around here seem to love the rain, if it is overcast and raining, be hunting if you can. Some of the best bucks seem to be nocturnal, but a tree stand in the right place or properly located ground blind can pay dividends on those seemingly nocturnal bucks. It is not uncommon for them to get up and mill around/feed and never expose themselves outside of cover in daylight. Where legal, bait and sometimes mineral stations will work well. Not familiar with N. Cal, but the better buck doe ratios are the better rattling seems to work. They can be devilishly tough critters to hunt, so a rut hunt is a huge advantage.

Marble

WKR
Rattling can work in the rut. Not many are rattled in because a rur hunt is nearly a unicorn in california.

It starts late October and will peak near Thanksgiving.

I hunted a rut hunt with my daughter over Thanksgiving weekend and it was insane.

Depending on the terrain you are hunting, you may be better off covering terrain, glassing up groups of does or calling. Just depends.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried it a few times at the end of B seasons (usually pre-rut, once in a while beginning of rut) with no success. That said, I have seen and heard bucks going at it during the season, so I am sure it could work.

Let us know what happens if you try it!

brn2hnt

WKR
Anecdotal reports of when the “rut” happens are typically poor at best.

Talk to bios. Ask when peak fawning week is. Figure out blacktail gestation length. Work backwards.

That date will be waaaaaay better because the survival of the species depends on it, rather than whether or not deer were more visibly active to humans in the field.

If it’s the hunt I’m thinking of, there’s a very good collar study done in that general area (and a little further east) that means the bios should have a dead nuts time frame for fawns dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slamdmini

FNG
im in so cal, but ive had no luck with rattling down here. i have heard that does often come into fawn distress calls, but again no such luck for me. maybe i just suck at calling/rattling

Bubba

FNG
The rut for Blacktail in California is very weather dependent. If its an area that get hunted hard the bucks have a tendency to stay nocturnal. You will see the little ones running around bu the big ones still stay in there old habits at times. The cool wet weather will bring them out. As the season ends the rutting will really kick off and you have a better chance at a big boy. Remember you have more eyes on you when they are with the does.

Marble

WKR
The rut for Blacktail in California is very weather dependent. If its an area that get hunted hard the bucks have a tendency to stay nocturnal. You will see the little ones running around bu the big ones still stay in there old habits at times. The cool wet weather will bring them out. As the season ends the rutting will really kick off and you have a better chance at a big boy. Remember you have more eyes on you when they are with the does.
Like Elk and Mule deer, the rut for blacktail is within a certain date range based on the amount of light that comes into their eyes. Basically, the length of the day triggers hormonal changes in both sexes.

Weather does not speed up or slow down the rut, but does affect general activity like any other weather.

The only rut hunt in CA I was able to take part in was over Thanksgiving. It was as rutty as I've ever seen it.

Pre rut activity will start late October.

Marble

WKR
im in so cal, but ive had no luck with rattling down here. i have heard that does often come into fawn distress calls, but again no such luck for me. maybe i just suck at calling/rattling
Being in So Cal the rut can happen even later. Have you ever killed or seen bucks late in your season with a swollen neck? Is singing that is pretty obvious.

Since the growing season is longer and weather is more mild the further south you go, the birth of fawns is less date critical. So basically working from north to south the rut will start earlier in geographic areas where weather is more extreme and later the further south you go where weather is mild and the growing season is longer.

slamdmini

FNG
Being in So Cal the rut can happen even later. Have you ever killed or seen bucks late in your season with a swollen neck? Is singing that is pretty obvious.

Since the growing season is longer and weather is more mild the further south you go, the birth of fawns is less date critical. So basically working from north to south the rut will start earlier in geographic areas where weather is more extreme and later the further south you go where weather is mild and the growing season is longer.

i always hunt the late season archery and typically i see rutting activity towards the end of the season

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Thanksgiving week the rut is in full swing in Humboldt / Trinity B zones , A few weeks earlier on the coast. I have successfully rattled them during the rut just over the border in Oregon during late archery season. I can see no reason it wouldn't work well if there are bucks in the area.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy drew a tag for rutting bucks in a zone. I don’t wanna give out the location cause it’s quite easy to draw every other year. But he rattled in multiple bucks in a few days. Killed a good one there with his bow. He said the bucks were rutting hard and pushing does all day.

Tiger

FNG
Blacktails will also respond to a call. Does will come to a fawn distress call, and bucks will follow them. Also a good test call for a meadow or clearing seemingly devoid of deer. Blow the call and see how many heads pop up.
yep. I am on Vancouver island a fawn call is alot better then rattling , we use them all the time ..