California introduces bill to ban Bear Hunting

Non-resident comment sent, didn´t have to register. Hoping for the best for CA. If this passes there, I have little doubt a similar attempt will be made in Oregon.

¨This proposal has no basis in the science of game management whatsoever. The black bear population of this state has doubled in the last four decades. Hunters have failed to meet the annual quota on black bears every year since its establishment. Black bear tag sales generate over one million dollars in revenue annually, all of which helps support California´s Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.

Hunters are without a doubt the largest source of funding for conservation in this country. Limiting hunter opportunity will inevitably lead to a reduction in hunter participation, and a subsequent loss of funding desperately needed to conserve habitat for our precious wildlife resources. This is a lose-lose proposition for both hunters and black bears in California.

It is also noteworthy that the hunting of black bears is not purely undertaken for ¨sport.¨ Black bear meat is a staple in many hunting households.

The language of this legislation implies that black bears face legitimate threats to their continued existence as a species. Not only is the black bear not considered threatened by the IUCN, California has the largest population of Ursus americanus in the contiguous United States.

The population of black bears in California in 1982 was estimated at around 15,000. Today the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife conservatively estimates their numbers at 30,000 to 40,000. This impressive population growth occurred despite liberal hunting seasons. This is hard proof that legal hunting in accordance with recommendations made by professional biologists poses no threat to the black bear. There is no suitable chunk of habitat in the state of California, from the Sierra Nevada to the Trinity Alps, capable of supporting a healthy bear population that lacks one.

How are voters supposed to trust that our representatives are making policy decisions rooted in sound science given proposals like this one, which flagrantly ignore hard data collected by our professional biologists?¨
This is spot on! My sentiments exactly.

packer58

WKR
Non-resident comment sent, didn´t have to register. Hoping for the best for CA. If this passes there, I have little doubt a similar attempt will be made in Oregon.

¨This proposal has no basis in the science of game management whatsoever. The black bear population of this state has doubled in the last four decades. Hunters have failed to meet the annual quota on black bears every year since its establishment. Black bear tag sales generate over one million dollars in revenue annually, all of which helps support California´s Dept. of Fish and Wildlife.

Hunters are without a doubt the largest source of funding for conservation in this country. Limiting hunter opportunity will inevitably lead to a reduction in hunter participation, and a subsequent loss of funding desperately needed to conserve habitat for our precious wildlife resources. This is a lose-lose proposition for both hunters and black bears in California.

It is also noteworthy that the hunting of black bears is not purely undertaken for ¨sport.¨ Black bear meat is a staple in many hunting households.

The language of this legislation implies that black bears face legitimate threats to their continued existence as a species. Not only is the black bear not considered threatened by the IUCN, California has the largest population of Ursus americanus in the contiguous United States.

The population of black bears in California in 1982 was estimated at around 15,000. Today the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife conservatively estimates their numbers at 30,000 to 40,000. This impressive population growth occurred despite liberal hunting seasons. This is hard proof that legal hunting in accordance with recommendations made by professional biologists poses no threat to the black bear. There is no suitable chunk of habitat in the state of California, from the Sierra Nevada to the Trinity Alps, capable of supporting a healthy bear population that lacks one.

How are voters supposed to trust that our representatives are making policy decisions rooted in sound science given proposals like this one, which flagrantly ignore hard data collected by our professional biologists?¨

Hoodies summary of why bear hunting in Cali should continue is very compelling and with his permission should become the rough boilerplate for others to follow. I think there a lot of folks that want to get involved but have a bit of a rough time putting there thoughts to words.

Thanks for posting this Hoodie......

When they banned fur trapping and sales and bobcat hunting, they said: “The overwhelming majority of Californians value our wildlife alive".

They're using the same argument now for bears. Lawmakers are passing anti-hunting laws based on feelings and public opinion, NOT based on science. They're not even trying to hide it. There is NO science involved at all.

Same with the lead ban. Condor poisoning has NOT decreased after the lead ban because hunters was never the problem to begin with. There never was any evidence it came from bullets.

CA will next ban all lead target shooting on all public lands, then squeeze regulations on private shooting ranges to the point of banning lead. You'll see it within the next few years. I garantee it. You won't be able to shoot your stockpiles of lead ammo in CA 5 years from now.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
Hoodies summary of why bear hunting in Cali should continue is very compelling and with his permission should become the rough boilerplate for others to follow. I think there a lot of folks that want to get involved but have a bit of a rough time putting there thoughts to words.

Thanks for posting this Hoodie......

Absolutely.

Also, if anyone finds any discrepancies regarding the numbers I mentioned, don´t hesitate to post so we can be as accurate as possible with the statements we make.

packer58

WKR
Also, I would ask the moderators if there is a way to merge the two ongoing Cali Bear Threads for easier tracking. Not sure if it's possible......Just a thought

Thanks

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
hunting ban isnt left wing.. one side clearly favors science.
Clearly. Where was the science for the Colorado wolf introduction or the BC grizzly ban? Both of those propositions were enacted through an ignorant leftist urban population voting on pure emotion.

Scott Wiener isn't a left wing politician? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

brocksw

WKR
CA BHA Chapter

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not sure where you live, but your state is destined for the same thing. Why? Because Californians are leaving CA (being replaced by folks from outside US, so demand is still high), and they are bringing their politics with them. Just look at TX, AZ, and ID ... in 5-10 years, they will be "Blue" too, and CA laws will dictate yours (look at NV as an example of a once free state, now dominated by ex-Californians).

All this to say, "it ain't a CA problem, it is a US problem" and if we don't stand together, we will surely fall apart. In reality, the end may already be written, but we can always fight for what we believe.
Idaho has already put laws on the books so the morons from California can't pull this shit. Make no bones about it, Boise and Sun Valley and CDA will go full retard, but the rest of Idaho won't. Even in Boise they'll never have a super majority of idiots like California has all along the coast. This bill will most likely pass in CA, and they won't even have to come after deer and elk. The predators will take care of what's left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Just wanted to thank the non residents that have voiced their support. I get it, California sucks in so many ways. But that does not apply to many of us here. When other states want to introduce wolves, ban certain methods of take, ban taking of certain animals, etc, myself and surely others from CA show our support. Regardless if we hunt in that state or not. It's just the right thing to do as a hunting community. So thanks again.

Hoodie

WKR
Just wanted to thank the non residents that have voiced their support. I get it, California sucks in so many ways. But that does not apply to many of us here. When other states want to introduce wolves, ban certain methods of take, ban taking of certain animals, etc, myself and surely others from CA show our support. Regardless if we hunt in that state or not. It's just the right thing to do as a hunting community. So thanks again.

Iḿ sure the Rocky Mountain states with the exception of Colorado will be fine for a long time, but as an Oregon resident I have a hard time imagining that the passage of this crap won´t result in an immediate attempt to do the same in my state. Washington too.

Ballot box biology has worked its magic here before.

This is just the most flagrant example of it I´ve seen. This dude is literally acting as if the black bear population in California is on the brink of collapse or something, when they have more bears than anywhere in the lower 48.

Iḿ a believer in climate change and I think it needs to be addressed, but Iḿ positive this hack is the sort of dude who casts aspersions on climate change deniers for ¨not acknowledging hard scientific data.¨

Meanwhile he peddles the idea that an IUCN ¨least-concern¨ species that occupies basically 100% of its historic range is circling the drain.

What do you think the odds are this dude has ever heard of a sage grouse?

Further proof that neither political party has a monopoly on logic or reason, despite both claiming to.

Azone

WKR
When they banned fur trapping and sales and bobcat hunting, they said: “The overwhelming majority of Californians value our wildlife alive".

They're using the same argument now for bears. Lawmakers are passing anti-hunting laws based on feelings and public opinion, NOT based on science. They're not even trying to hide it. There is NO science involved at all.

Same with the lead ban. Condor poisoning has NOT decreased after the lead ban because hunters was never the problem to begin with. There never was any evidence it came from bullets.

CA will next ban all lead target shooting on all public lands, then squeeze regulations on private shooting ranges to the point of banning lead. You'll see it within the next few years. I garantee it. You won't be able to shoot your stockpiles of lead ammo in CA 5 years from now.
The end game is no hunting, no gun owners. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant.
This bill will most likely pass in CA, and they won't even have to come after deer and elk. The predators will take care of what's left.

Exactly what the bleeding hearts want. No one to hunt, they will push this agenda at all costs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For California Residents:
Click here to find your state representative and contact them. In addition to contacting your representative, leave a comment here. Input from CA residents absolutely weigh more, so please, urge every sportsman and woman you know to do the same.

For Non-Residents:
Click here to leave your comment. Don't be discouraged about comments from CA-residents carrying more weight, they will notice an influx of comments. Getting their attention is exactly what we need!

You do not need to be a California resident to leave a comment. If you have any trouble give us a shout and we'll help best we can.

One last note, please remain professional and courteous when leaving your comments/contacting your representative.
I commented both as a resident and nonresident. Taking the Democrats approach. Vote early, vote often!

Just wanted to thank the non residents that have voiced their support. I get it, California sucks in so many ways. But that does not apply to many of us here....
So thanks again.
I agree 100%
The few of us stuck in California can all use your help from the “free states”. Please take the time to add a public comment against this outrage.

Marble

WKR

The insanity continues.

For those who are familiar with the issues here. CA has some of the densest bear populations in the country. I'm not sure what the current population numbers for bears is, but over the last several years I have seen more and more.

I see more bears than bucks, and on some days, more bears the deer.

This state is just dumb...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
CA BHA Chapter
Glad to see BHA directly opposing this