California Mule Deer: How do you guys choose areas to scout/hunt?

Man... so true... the thing about the newer person not really even knowing what were the right questions to ask.

While I agree with much of what you've said, I think there's another side to it also, where it's hard to vet people that are actually down to put in the work vs. the people who want it easy. I ask(ed) questions and stuff etc, still being very new to bowhunting, however, I've gotten the most help from other hunters I ran into in the woods who saw me off-roading my Mercedes, who saw my Garmin that was still clocking me at 17mi of hiking for the day, who saw me on the ridgetop before them. They gave me more info than I knew what to do with at the time because they saw me putting in the work and not making excuses, and just out there figuring it out.

While I feel there's an excruciating amount of knowledge out there, and believe me I've read and/or listened to (soon to be all of it), at the end of the day people telling them to get out in the field and figure it out truly is the best piece you can give them, short of your honey hole and your wife.

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all of the good info some of you gents provided. A lot of it being information confirmation from things I learned hunting Elk in CO. If anyone is looking for a hunt partner/scouting or just sharing info, I'm in the Eldorado Hills area and hunting D3-5 and B both archery and rifle.

Long story short, I grew up rifle hunting X1 every year and left for the military as an 18 year old. X1 is not what it used to be and getting tags is a reality check to CA hunting. I dont mind putting in the work, actually appreciate it more and looking forward to learning these new zones. Hunted B2 last year and got my first bear.

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it. Spent the last two days searching around Winemucca lake and Woods lake. Way to many hikers. Came across some doe' and a couple spikes. This year is my first year in D3-5. A lot of land to cover. I have a couple backcountry areas that look promising that I need to get into but this first trip was a good shake out. Broke in the new boots and my heals. About 12 miles and 2.5k in elevation change.
IMG_2741.jpegIMG_2747.jpegtempImage4kzLsY.jpg

OP
E

Englishjc

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it. Spent the last two days searching around Winemucca lake and Woods lake. Way to many hikers. Came across some doe' and a couple spikes. This year is my first year in D3-5. A lot of land to cover. I have a couple backcountry areas that look promising that I need to get into but this first trip was a good shake out. Broke in the new boots and my heals. About 12 miles and 2.5k in elevation change.
View attachment 301477View attachment 301480View attachment 301476
Seems like a great trip!

Bankem

FNG
View attachment 301477View attachment 301480View attachment 301476

I’m new to deer hunting but not hunting in general. This tread has been great to read. Been doing lots of scouting in the D5 area and while I have mostly seen does I’m optimistic from some sign on my recent scouting trip.
The area is beautiful so it’s a real pleasure to be putting the miles and miles on the boots up in the sierras but backpacking at 8-9k of elevation requires being in decent shape for sure.