California mule deer.

OP
Western_hunter87

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like the X-zones are the way to go. Having a hard time in D6 the last few years.
iv found good deer in d6 but you just gotts get off the roads and away from opening weekend lol. im gonna hit d6 hard or c zone. im gonna be in transition from work and homes so ill be a spending 3+ months in the sierras

iv found good deer in d6 but you just gotts get off the roads and away from opening weekend lol. im gonna hit d6 hard or c zone. im gonna be in transition from work and homes so ill be a spending 3+ months in the sierras

I’ve spent most of my time over 4 miles off the roads, but don’t get nearly enough time to be successful. Usually a couple of long weekends each season.

OP
Western_hunter87

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve spent most of my time over 4 miles off the roads, but don’t get nearly enough time to be successful. Usually a couple of long weekends each season.
lets link up and maybe we can work a plan. im planning a 2 week horse packin archery hunt in b6 but need to finalize my plans. im deciding where i should put in most of my scouting and effort. sometimes its not about distance from the road it might just be about hill you can glass without being seen from the road. killed my biggest cali mule deer 500 yards from the road on a hillside you cant see from the road. 5 giant bucks.

lets link up and maybe we can work a plan. im planning a 2 week horse packin archery hunt in b6 but need to finalize my plans. im deciding where i should put in most of my scouting and effort. sometimes its not about distance from the road it might just be about hill you can glass without being seen from the road. killed my biggest cali mule deer 500 yards from the road on a hillside you cant see from the road. 5 giant bucks.
Two week horse hunt sounds awesome. I’m pretty new to hunting and it seems like a lot of successful folks in the D6 zone horseback deep into the wilderness. I’ve been thinking about using the Kennedy Meadows packers.

OP
Western_hunter87

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Two week horse hunt sounds awesome. I’m pretty new to hunting and it seems like a lot of successful folks in the D6 zone horseback deep into the wilderness. I’ve been thinking about using the Kennedy Meadows packers.
iv backpacked in with a buddy 4-6 miles or so and we ran into guys who had coolers steaks and beer in their horse camp. we moved up the valley 2 miles cause they couldnt. advantages and disadvantages to horse pack in trips. im specific on mine to a base camp with 7-10 peaks we can spike out to and glass off of. in more remote spots than d6 and more like 8-10 miles deep. when investing in horse pack in or fly in hunts or float hunts there is a lot to consider besides miles from a road. just 2 cents and my personal opinon. sorry for long reply byt i love kennedy meadows and i have packed into the reservoir up there and done a lot of fishin up that river from the camp ground and had friends that have backpacked in there. love that area but more for bear and lots of pressure for deer especially opening weekend.

iv backpacked in with a buddy 4-6 miles or so and we ran into guys who had coolers steaks and beer in their horse camp. we moved up the valley 2 miles cause they couldnt. advantages and disadvantages to horse pack in trips. im specific on mine to a base camp with 7-10 peaks we can spike out to and glass off of. in more remote spots than d6 and more like 8-10 miles deep. when investing in horse pack in or fly in hunts or float hunts there is a lot to consider besides miles from a road. just 2 cents and my personal opinon. sorry for long reply byt i love kennedy meadows and i have packed into the reservoir up there and done a lot of fishin up that river from the camp ground and had friends that have backpacked in there. love that area but more for bear and lots of pressure for deer especially opening weekend.
Haha steaks and beer in the backcountry — I have to experience that at least once. Kennedy is gorgeous. I saw it for the first time last year and did some fishing on the river.