California proposed regulation changes

I like the proposal, but think it could go farther. If I were king for a day, I would change the 2 buck rule and transfer all the second tags to premium tags in the same units. For example, if there are 30,000 tags available in a zone then something like 20,000 would go to first come first serve until they sell out then the remaining would be issued as late season premium hunts in non X zones. This would allow for more turn over in points and give much needed late season opportunities while still allowing people to harvest 2 deer. One in the early season then one in the premium season if they are luck enough to draw it. I personally would be fine with only one deer tag for CA each year.

Rob5589

WKR
Not a bad idea. Personally, one deer tag for a set amount of time could benefit the buck population. I'm all for shooting does as well if it would be beneficial for the herds.

Azone

WKR
Will be interesting to see if the G41 gains any traction. If the dates were a few weeks later it would be even better.
The G21 seems to draw around a hundred or so locals and anyone who has ever hunted back there knows it’s pretty damn rough terrain wise. A lot of people draw the 21 tag and don’t realize what they’re getting into. If the 41 hunt ran say the last 3 weeks of October, then it would definitely draw some good attention. Also being able to hold a late rifle tag that’s good unit wide would draw a lot of the private property crowd out of applying for the destination hunts as a way to earn a preference point.
Bears are also the number killer of fawns.
Bears have been starting to pop up quite frequently in my area. Between them and the cats it’s not gonna get any better for our black tail in my neck of the woods.

The G21 seems to draw around a hundred or so locals and anyone who has ever hunted back there knows it’s pretty damn rough terrain wise. A lot of people draw the 21 tag and don’t realize what they’re getting into. If the 41 hunt ran say the last 3 weeks of October, then it would definitely draw some good attention. Also being able to hold a late rifle tag that’s good unit wide would draw a lot of the private property crowd out of applying for the destination hunts as a way to earn a preference point.

Bears have been starting to pop up quite frequently in my area. Between them and the cats it’s not gonna get any better for our black tail in my neck of the woods.
The G21 hunt is definitely rough and can be a great hunt with some effort.
Bears are certainly getting way more common in your area. They have tried in years past to get a season going there but has not passed yet.

Fingers crossed for a 2nd bear tag! Even better if it was spring bear. It'd be a big help to CA's deer population as well
That would be awesome considering the quota is never met. 1152 this year at close of season.

shepaloop

FNG
Agreed. Not sure if you listened; the lady from the HSUS said there could be as few as 9800 bears in CA. I call bs on that. I listened to a podcast with a CA biologist and in his research, which is tough to do with bears, is likely 20000+, with 30k not out of the question.
I saw more bears this year than I’ve ever seen in my life …

Not a bad idea. Personally, one deer tag for a set amount of time could benefit the buck population. I'm all for shooting does as well if it would be beneficial for the herds.
We need a doe season, I don’t know how long it will take to figure that out.

Rob5589

WKR
We need a doe season, I don’t know how long it will take to figure that out.
True. There is an issue with local gov't being able to override F&W in certain circumstances, which has happened. Not sure on the exact details, it's been a while so I'd have to research.

PacNW

FNG
There is a petition that is being presented tomorrow to add draw hunt opportunities, modify unit boundaries, and expand hunt areas that I think is worth reading and considering. The area of largest benefit would be to combat point creep by spreading out applicants to more lower point draws.
Nothing proposed here is going to pull a max point applicant from Goodale or X5B, but I think there are some neat opportunities that are inline with other states management strategy. Any changes would likely be a couple years out but it’s the starting point of having the discussion with CDFW.
Feel free to take a read.
Thanks for posting this. Hadn’t seen before, but now looking forward to following how the proposed ideas will be deliberated. It looks like there was a dedicated commission workshop on Jan 27 that was open to the public. Does anyone know how that workshop went, and what the next steps in the deliberative process might be?

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting this. Hadn’t seen before, but now looking forward to following how the proposed ideas will be deliberated. It looks like there was a dedicated commission workshop on Jan 27 that was open to the public. Does anyone know how that workshop went, and what the next steps in the deliberative process might be?

You can go here (see link below) select 2022 meetings and then scroll to the meeting (January 13, first meeting for the Wildlife Resource Committee) and read the meeting documents and summary.
There is a Commission Meeting today and tomorrow on the schedule if you are interested in peeking in as they will be further discussing the proposal.

PacNW

FNG
You can go here (see link below) select 2022 meetings and then scroll to the meeting (January 13, first meeting for the Wildlife Resource Committee) and read the meeting documents and summary.
There is a Commission Meeting today and tomorrow on the schedule if you are interested in peeking in as they will be further discussing the proposal.
Very much appreciated. If I'm reading the agenda correctly (big "if"), it looks like the that particular proposal (2021-017) would still be considered under review by the committee (i.e. it's not on the commission's agenda for their deliberation at this week's meetings). At any rate, I'll definitely try to peek in... Someone else had mentioned the petition to ban duck hunting along Benicia's shoreline (proposal 2022-01) which looks like it will be taken up by the commission this week... Glad to be a more informed citizen/hunter for having checked out this thread. Thanks all.

180ls1

WKR
Just finished that podcast and found out about the "grandma rule." What a freakin scam. Can't blame a guy for taking advantage but yeah, that needs to go away.
Whats the quick rundown on that rule?

Rob5589

WKR
Whats the quick rundown on that rule?
I can't recall the exact details but basically someone buys "grandma" point as well as themselves. Of course granny has no intention of hunting. They put in as a group for a premium tag and if picked, grannys point is used but theirs isn't. What it allows is someone to continuously be in the running for a premium tag because they never lose their point, only grannys point. Something like that anyway.

Moserkr

WKR
I can't recall the exact details but basically someone buys "grandma" point as well as themselves. Of course granny has no intention of hunting. They put in as a group for a premium tag and if picked, grannys point is used but theirs isn't. What it allows is someone to continuously be in the running for a premium tag because they never lose their point, only grannys point. Something like that anyway.
Granny never loses her points cause she pulls out. Other hunters in the group with no points get to hunt. Then they do it next year too. Granny never hunts, guys with no points draw. These people are right there with poachers, I see no difference.