California Road Trip with Firearms

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for travel advice for California vacation starting this weekend. Mainly on two subjects. 1) Are most things open in the smaller towns of Central and NorCal? 2) Am I doing enough to protect myself legally in regards to carrying my firearm?

I believe I understand all the laws in CA on transporting a handgun in California. We leave on Friday to take a road trip up the coast from Pismo Beach to Northern CA. I live in Pennsylvania and I do not feel comfortable driving across the entire country without having a gun for protection. My plan is to carry my Glock 43x and LCP in a locked metal box, with gun cable locks through the chamber so they are inoperable. Then having the ammo in a separate, locked container with empty magazines. All of this will be placed in the trunk of the Subaru, chained to the seat with a bike lock and hidden underneath all of our other luggage (not until we get to CA border of course).

Both of those guns have 10 round or less magazines. I would like to take my Glock 20, but all I have is 15 round mags and didn't order any 10 round mags in time. Is there any way I could still bring the G20? I really don't like the idea of being considered a criminal just by crossing the state line with a standard 15 round magazine, but I also feel a little undergunned with a 10 round 9mm or 7 round 380.

JFK

WKR
Not sure about the 15 round mags. I live in Ca and my hunch is that it wouldn’t go well if you had to explain it to LE.

As far as transporting. Seems like overkill but do what you are comfortable with. Everyone I know just puts them in a case and calls it good. Might call a reputable Ca gun store to see what they say.

In Los Angeles the weapon and ammunition must be in seperate containers with at least one in a locked container. The glove box is not acceptable. In the trunk is preferred, but the trunk is not considered a locked container. I do not think you are going over kill considering this info.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the 15 round mags. I live in Ca and my hunch is that it wouldn’t go well if you had to explain it to LE.

As far as transporting. Seems like overkill but do what you are comfortable with. Everyone I know just puts them in a case and calls it good. Might call a reputable Ca gun store to see what they say.

I know it seems like overkill. But my thought is that it's not going to be accessible anyways so I might as well do everything I can to show that I'm in compliance. I'll see what other people say, but I'm glad to hear what you said for sure.

willidru

WKR
I wish I knew how to link the videos, but about 2 months ago on YouTube there were 2 videos on how to travel with firearms. The video was by a guy named The Armed Scholar if you want to look it up

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I knew how to link the videos, but about 2 months ago on YouTube there were 2 videos on how to travel with firearms. The video was by a guy named The Armed Scholar if you want to look it up

I've actually already watched them. I've done as much research as possible. Now just trying to hear from other people who live there or have actually done it. Thanks!

87TT

WKR
Personally, I would feel safer on the road anywhere BUT Ca. They don't have metal detectors at the state line. They can't search your vehicle unless they have PC. The only time they would know if you had one is if you had to use it and then your life or family's should have depended on it. So......................

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Born and raised in CA... For what it’s worth, I’ve carried a loaded pistol in my backpack in my vehicle since I turned 21 and could buy one. Never had any issues. Cops don’t just pull you over and search your vehicle for weapons here despite what the internet tells you haha.

If you do want to play it extra safe then your plan seems to abide by all the rules. Don’t forget to read up on the rules for bringing ammunition into the state as well.

87TT

WKR
The vast majority of cops in Ca are pro gun and don't want to hassle law abiding people trying to protect their family and self. Just don't be stupid and only let anyone see it if you are actually shooting in defense. I would not lock mine up. Might as well leave it home.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Pistols must be in a locked case when traveling. Bullets in the magazine is legal, but magazine can not be in a position to fire (ie magazine in the magwell).

Straight from the CHP's (California Highway Patrol) website about half way down the page.

"I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?"

"California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well."

MattB

WKR
You know what you need to do, don't overthink it. Contrary to be belief of most Roksliders, CA is not China. If you happen to get pulled over which IMO is the only realistic way you could be put in a position where the legality of your means of transport was called into question, don't be a complete a-hole to the cop and you will have no issues.

And if you will be in the Pismo area, make sure to check out Avila Beach. It is smaller and nicer than Pismo.

I think In Cali your supposed to keep the magazine empty and put the individual bullets in your rectum. If you need a gun, drink a cup of coffee and wait 10-15 minutes.

Honestly, you could probably keep a rocket launcher in your car and not have any trouble unless its visible.

Brooks

WKR
I have one with me at all times !! In California I’ve always put it under the seat and go about minding my own business. I needed it once in So Cal, no shots fired but it saved me from getting all cut up.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I am not advocating breaking the law, but if it was kept out of sight and you did nothing wrong leading to having your car searched who's to know it's there??

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
You know what you need to do, don't overthink it. Contrary to be belief of most Roksliders, CA is not China. If you happen to get pulled over which IMO is the only realistic way you could be put in a position where the legality of your means of transport was called into question, don't be a complete a-hole to the cop and you will have no issues.

And if you will be in the Pismo area, make sure to check out Avila Beach. It is smaller and nicer than Pismo.

We're staying at the Cliffs in Pismo for two nights. Thanks for the tip!

MattB

WKR
We're staying at the Cliffs in Pismo for two nights. Thanks for the tip!

If that is the Cliffs in Shell Beach it is a nice place. Avila is about 10 mins from there and it is often sunny there when it is foggy in Pismo/Shell Beach. Anomoly of geography.

68Plexi

WKR
If that is the Cliffs in Shell Beach it is a nice place. Avila is about 10 mins from there and it is often sunny there when it is foggy in Pismo/Shell Beach. Anomoly of geography.

Love Avila beach. I believe it’s actually the shape of the coast as Avila sits further back from Pismo and Morrow Bay. Fog almost always clears Avila first.

As per the OP’s original question. Your two handguns are plenty without the 10mm. You’re not staying in Stockton. And even if you were, it’s more likely to be stolen than used. 99.99% chance you’ll never touch them unless you decide to sleep in some sketchy area, which look just like every other sketchy area in the US and are easy to avoid.

Keep what you decide to take in a locked case, loaded mag beside - not in the gun, just as the CHP regs quoted in another post suggested. Enjoy your trip and try not to overthink it. The central and northern coast of ca is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Love Avila beach. I believe it’s actually the shape of the coast as Avila sits further back from Pismo and Morrow Bay. Fog almost always clears Avila first.

Yup, I think it has something to do with the big bluff to the west. Many a day we have sat at Avila and looked south and south east at a big wall of fog with Pismo stuck in it.