California Turkey

Loco4dux

WKR
No tags man, just an upland stamp. 1 bearded bird per person per day total of 3 per spring season. Oregon is correct in his comment above. Guided turkey hunts are also... PRICEY, as everything in California.
Best of luck wish I had better news for you. Send me a PM if you are willing to travel ~3 hrs from Napa and I may have some suggestions for you.

I live in Reno, Nevada and I have hunted turkeys in California and as others have said just a license and upland game stamp. You can also get a two day hunt license and stamp and hunt turkey for two days for like $60.

All the spots I knew are burned up now. Call the game biologist though and you may get lucky.

Public North Bay birds are around if you scout and then don't get spot burned opening day. 1 bearded bird per day, 3 birds for the spring season. Need a hunting license and upland stamp.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Image 3-14-19 at 6.35 AM.jpg
    Image 3-14-19 at 6.35 AM.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Rodéo

WKR
You can try the public land around lake Berryessa/clear lake as that's all within one hour of Napa. The guys above who gave info regarding CA turkey hunting are correct. NR hunting license and upland game bird stamp is all you need. 3 bearded per season.
The blm/state wildlife area/national monument area surrounding Berryessa holds tons of turkeys but they are heavily pressured so get there on opening day or be prepared to bushwack through miles of thickets to find a mature tom willing to play ball.
I didn't get drawn for opening day this year so it looks like I'll be one of those folks going out on public land for toms come the end of the month.
Good luck, might see you there!

Like rodkazempour said, out of Napa, Knoxville WA may be your best bet. Just be prepared for a lot of people. Same with Cache Creek WA. Hell, head up 101 and find some forest birds in Mendocino NF.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
Like rodkazempour said, out of Napa, Knoxville WA may be your best bet. Just be prepared for a lot of people. Same with Cache Creek WA. Hell, head up 101 and find some forest birds in Mendocino NF.
Mendocino birds sound cool. Definitely don’t have to be around the Napa area just kinda stumbled on that area as a place to start looking

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Got drawn for Spencevilla WA on opening weekend, I've never been out that way, so we'll see how it goes. Going to scout it next weekend. I have heard birds over by Berryessa in the Knoxville area and yes be prepared to do a little hiking. They are definitely in there, but you really gotta want them.

Vangysway

FNG
Willow CA has some solid public land turkey hunting grounds. Like the others have stated, lots of pressure and competition in limited areas. There are some boat in spots as well. If I were you, I would put in for the Lake Sonoma tag. I got into tons of them pig hunting recently.

Oregon

WKR
I’ve killed a ton of turkeys between Napa and Ft Bragg.
Just for awareness, no place on the planet that has more Poison Oak. Ain’t no joke.
I swell up like the stay puff marshmallow man. No turkeys worth that anymore

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed a ton of turkeys between Napa and Ft Bragg.
Just for awareness, no place on the planet that has more Poison Oak. Ain’t no joke.
I swell up like the stay puff marshmallow man. No turkeys worth that anymore

Very true! and keep in mind ticks can be a problem with Spring Turkey. I was once crawling through some bushes and when I finally got set up I looked down and I was covered in ticks, they were crawling all over me. I must have bumped a mating ball or something, there were hundreds of them. Ran back to the truck and striped down...definitely takes the fun out of it.

boom

WKR
California hunting regulations are some of the easiest to interpret.

Personally the first step is the dept website. Any state I go, I read the regs. It’s the best way to be sure anyways.

FYI, the opener is this weekend! Game on.

Couple of the public spots I used to hunt (2012-2014) up in Northern Ca (Redding area) used to be gold. Only a few hunters on the weekends, weekdays clear. Was on birds all the time. Now it's crazy. Always trucks in the lot. Talked to a buddy who still hunts there and he told me that there were 60 trucks in the lot on opening morning at a well known spot in the area. Just what he said.

Not worth the effort in my opinion.