California X4

Draw results came out yesterday in CA. I drew X4 rifle. Was hoping someone had some info on the best area to focus on. I’m leaning towards staying east of Eagel Lake. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Calbuck

WKR
Have you ever been in your chosen zone? Why would you put in for a zone you know nothing about? Why would somebody give you, a perfect stranger their "best area" to focus on? Especially on an open forum? All questions you should think about. Boots on the ground do wonders.

OP
Bowhunter559
Coming from the Dbag who posted July 8th 2014;

Idaho Unit 49 Rifle Elk
“Trying to find some info on terrain, access, trophy potential, etc for this hunt. I'll be taking my utv/atv with me as well as my Kifaru gear. I'm willing to hike in a couple miles or so. Very little information on this unit!”

That’s what the point of this site and forum is for and about, help others out. I’ve been to that area many times. I’ve helped out many a folk on the AZ OTC hunts. Look in the mirror before you type hypocrite.

Have you ever been in your chosen zone? Why would you put in for a zone you know nothing about? Why would somebody give you, a perfect stranger their "best area" to focus on? Especially on an open forum? All questions you should think about. Boots on the ground do wonders.

These draw zones are every 4-5 year tag not sure you’d be blowing up your honey hole by helping a guy via PM , good luck op wish i could help you , look forward to pics.

Calbuck

WKR
Coming from the Dbag who posted July 8th 2014;

Idaho Unit 49 Rifle Elk
“Trying to find some info on terrain, access, trophy potential, etc for this hunt. I'll be taking my utv/atv with me as well as my Kifaru gear. I'm willing to hike in a couple miles or so. Very little information on this unit!”

That’s what the point of this site and forum is for and about, help others out. I’ve been to that area many times. I’ve helped out many a folk on the AZ OTC hunts. Look in the mirror before you type hypocrite.

Resort to name calling if you must. Notice in my post I did not ask a general question for anyone’s “best area.” I asked specifically about terrain, access, trophy potential. NOTHING about “best area.” Good luck

Calbuck

WKR
These draw zones are every 4-5 year tag not sure you’d be blowing up your honey hole by helping a guy via PM , good luck op wish i could help you , look forward to pics.

Until you find out the guys wife has points and his kids have points and every other Tom Dick and Harry he knows..I’ve seen firsthand in the x zones because I live in one, what happens when a “best area” is given out.

OP
Bowhunter559
Thanks Can’t hit em. Your exactly right and that was my thought process. Big unit in X4, west end is all Blacktail, east is Mule deer. Clear cuts to tall sage on the east end. Fishing Eagle lake I’ve seen some nice bucks. I like to get away from people, either taking in horses or going in on foot. I really can’t figure out the lumber company policy on vehicles on their roads. I’m hoping no public access by vehicle, should increase the hunting. West side roads everywhere. Any PM would be great. Not looking for a honey hole, just look in the right area.

As hunters no one needs to be putting anyone down or arguing. We all have plenty of arguments to have with tree huggers, rock lickers, and liberals.

Thanks Can’t hit em. Your exactly right and that was my thought process. Big unit in X4, west end is all Blacktail, east is Mule deer. Clear cuts to tall sage on the east end. Fishing Eagle lake I’ve seen some nice bucks. I like to get away from people, either taking in horses or going in on foot. I really can’t figure out the lumber company policy on vehicles on their roads. I’m hoping no public access by vehicle, should increase the hunting. West side roads everywhere. Any PM would be great. Not looking for a honey hole, just look in the right area.

As hunters no one needs to be putting anyone down or arguing. We all have plenty of arguments to have with tree huggers, rock lickers, and liberals.

If the lumber company is sierra pacific, they usually let you walk in unless fires flare up and they close it

OP
Bowhunter559
If the lumber company is sierra pacific, they usually let you walk in unless fires flare up and they close it
That’s exactly right, Sierra Pacific. I’ve written them a email to get clearer information on vehicles. I see they let foot traffic in but if fire hazard is a issue they will close. No biggie if they don’t, we’ll just bring in horses.

Thank you sir!

OP
Bowhunter559
X4 deer are all mule deer.

Per F&G

“The subspecies of deer inhabiting Zone X-4 is primarily the Rocky Mountain mule deer; however, some Columbian black-tailed deer occur in the western portion of the zone.”

amassi

WKR
Lived here all my life and didnt know x4 went west of I5, what's that about 200 miles east- west?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bohntr

WKR
Per F&G

“The subspecies of deer inhabiting Zone X-4 is primarily the Rocky Mountain mule deer; however, some Columbian black-tailed deer occur in the western portion of the zone.”

Ha, well you seem to have all the answers. However, just understand that NO deer has EVER come back as Columbian Blacktail from unit X4........PERIOD. There have been many DNA tested over the last few years, but all were genetically mule deer and sub-species of mule deer.

I sure wish Kevin Brennen hadn't retired.....he'd have a field day with that quote above. :) Good luck in your research.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha, well you seem to have all the answers. However, just understand that NO deer has EVER come back as Columbian Blacktail from unit X4........PERIOD. There have been many DNA tested over the last few years, but all were genetically mule deer and sub-species of mule deer.

I sure wish Kevin Brennen hadn't retired.....he'd have a field day with that quote above. :) Good luck in your research.

I lived there for a few years. While that may be accurate, there is an incredible body mass difference from the west and east side of the unit alone with almost every other unit around there.

I would say ear tip to tip is close to 21-22 from the pine bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowhunter559, message me. I live in X4 and I think I have some info that might be useful to you about hunting X4.
What useful info do you have? I have X4 this year and have scouted quite a bit with a few areas narrowed down. Would be nice to see if any matched up...