California - X9A

Sako

FNG
Hey all, I got a tag in the X9a. I kinda know the area but was wondering if anyone knows the areas or a reputable guide service in the area.

Nick

BiG_Sea

FNG
I’m in A17 this year (archery in X9b). Haven’t been up that way in ten years and only fishing. Interested in what you find here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushape

WKR
I drew x9a also but haven’t really spent any time there, I’m up for the challenge and love exploring new units near and far. Plan is to do some internet scouting the next few months and hit the ground with the spotter in August, hope to get 10 days or so of scouting

Cashed in a whole bunch of points to hunt it with my friend who had a tag last year. His scouting experience was that deer were concentrated in pockets. Lots of good country without deer, but once you find them you’re good. Probably a good idea to scout so you won’t be scrambling to find deer during the season. I’ll be up there the week before opener. I can’t believe point creep has gotten so bad.. I remember when I first started applying it only took 2.5 points to draw!

Cashed in a whole bunch of points to hunt it with my friend who had a tag last year. His scouting experience was that deer were concentrated in pockets. Lots of good country without deer, but once you find them you’re good. Probably a good idea to scout so you won’t be scrambling to find deer during the season. I’ll be up there the week before opener. I can’t believe point creep has gotten so bad.. I remember when I first started applying it only took 2.5 points to draw!

They halved the number of tags they give out on the east side so now it takes more points

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Had an X9A tag a few years ago and tried to find a guide with no luck. Guy at one of the sporting goods stores in Bishop told me that after DFG cut the tags, the only remaining guides had quit the business. That is a huge area, but I would start my search around Sage Hen peak, which is between Mono Lake and Benton Hot Springs.

work765

WKR
I applied with 4 points and didn’t get it.

Congrats on a nice tag! You’ll get one for sure

Jta6498

FNG
I drew an A16 tag and will be up there a couple times to scout and for the opener. I have hunted there a lot. But my most specific and applicable experience was in 17’ when they had a winter similar to this past one. I had an AO tag and hiked threw x9A into the high country of D7. All of the deer were very low and the snow levels were still around 8500’ in 3rd week of august. Long story short the deer didnt make their full migration to the high country due to the snow levels and the late winter. They were also much more spread out because water was so plentiful. Some advice i have, scout during end of archery as the difference between july and august is vast for deer locations. X9A has great acess for ATV’s but dont let that make you think you shouldn't hike in. There are tons of deer and mature ones now with tag cuts but they are smart and arent going to be hanging around camps and trails. Be patient and find the pockets that are away from drive able roads and have water. It will be hot through opener of rifle. Feel free to PM me to bounce some ideas off of. Good luck

Congrats On the Tag , I use to live in that country and have hunted that area several times. I still go back about six times a year to fish and i do always go scouting when i,m there . Pm me if you have any questions

excaliber

WKR
I grew up in So Cal and spent many years hunting in that part of the Eastern Sierras. I hunted X9A quite a bit. PM me and I'll point you to a few out of the way and less pressured spots you should find some Bucks.

87TT

WKR
Boy, Crappyfornia sure has messed up their hunting. How in the hell do they justify the low tag numbers? I used to live in D-14 and they still give out 3000 tags there. The liberals have screwed it up so bad! Part of their agenda to stop all hunting. Don't miss it for a second.

Boy, Crappyfornia sure has messed up their hunting. How in the hell do they justify the low tag numbers? I used to live in D-14 and they still give out 3000 tags there. The liberals have screwed it up so bad! Part of their agenda to stop all hunting. Don't miss it for a second.

Hmm I think your D14 is just a money maker and not real trophy unit same with A zone and a lot of other zones . X9a did receive a huge blow when a bunch of deer decide to commit Suicide and fall too there death when they hit a ice shelve and all fell too there death . A lot of trophy bucks that winter died and it has definitely afffected the area . If they gave out 3000 tags in x9a they would absolutely have no deer left . Another big issue is 395hwy between toms place and lee vining . They deer migrate across hey 395 and eventually into Nevada . I talked with the wildlife biologist for this unit and asked him how many deer die from being hit on the hwy every year and he said over 600 deer . I then asked him what we are doing to build a high fence and over passes to funnel deer across without getting hit and he said it would cost too much money . This is where hunters like us need to group together and push for things like this . Could you imagine having 600 deer back in your herd every year from this project . The problem is nobody gives two shits about it and we just complain about the new regulations. The only way to get fish and game too listen too hunters is too hit them in the pocket book if everyone in California could band together and tell fish and game enough is enough and everyone not buy a license then fish and game would be in big trouble and have know choice but too listen and do what real western states do and manage the herd the right way . Sorry that is the end of my rant .

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR

Hmm I think your D14 is just a money maker and not real trophy unit same with A zone and a lot of other zones . X9a did receive a huge blow when a bunch of deer decide to commit Suicide and fall too there death when they hit a ice shelve and all fell too there death . A lot of trophy bucks that winter died and it has definitely afffected the area . If they gave out 3000 tags in x9a they would absolutely have no deer left . Another big issue is 395hwy between toms place and lee vining . They deer migrate across hey 395 and eventually into Nevada . I talked with the wildlife biologist for this unit and asked him how many deer die from being hit on the hwy every year and he said over 600 deer . I then asked him what we are doing to build a high fence and over passes to funnel deer across without getting hit and he said it would cost too much money . This is where hunters like us need to group together and push for things like this . Could you imagine having 600 deer back in your herd every year from this project . The problem is nobody gives two shits about it and we just complain about the new regulations. The only way to get fish and game too listen too hunters is too hit them in the pocket book if everyone in California could band together and tell fish and game enough is enough and everyone not buy a license then fish and game would be in big trouble and have know choice but too listen and do what real western states do and manage the herd the right way . Sorry that is the end of my rant .

What if CA made a high speed train that carried the deer across 395? That may be something the state is willing to spend money on.

87TT

WKR

My point exactly. They don't care about the deer. They would not care if they canceled the season because they really don't like hunters. Why did they outlaw mountain lion hunting? Why are they protecting those wolves that moved in? Talk about invasive species. Heck, they changed their name from Fish & Game to Fish & Wildlife. How much did that cost to change all the signs, letterheads, badges Trucks, ect.? Outlawed lead bullets but not other sources of lead like say fish weights?
I will pm the OP and sorry for the hijack.

Extrapale

WKR
Put solar panels and a wind turbine on the overpasses. Guaranteed funding.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I think they are making X9a a sanctuary zone. But seriously.
I am old enough to remember hunting in Ca when there were no draws and zones just were for seasons. All the seasons started on the same day if I remember. You could hunt anywhere in the state. Everyone went north and hunted the opener and if you didn't get one, you hunted near home the rest of the season or tried to make a second trip. 395 was all two lane with just a few passing lanes. On Friday before opener, it was one solid line of cars. It was a mass of hunters and way worse than anything you see anywhere now. and yet the deer survived. 269 tags for a zone the size of X9a is stupid low. That zone could easily handle 1000 to 1500 with no adverse affect on the deer herd. Even in D14 with 3000 tags in a zone that' has a small fraction of the deer and hunt able area as X9a, I hardly ran into other hunters and the deer herds are at worst stable and if you can believe the stats from DFW, getting way better.