California - X9A

I will respectfully disagree with your tag number , we also use to be able to hunt Mt Lion as well and hunt bear with hounds.

87TT

WKR
There are a lot of bear and lion in D14 too and yet the success rate is up to 14% last year. Lot more area in X9a to avoid hunters. But I don't live or hunt there anymore so if the hunters in Ca don't care about their DFW agenda, then oh well.

Sako I hope you kill a nice buck and if there is anything i can do to help feel free too reach out

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
....and F&G had nothing to do with losing the mountain lion season in CA.........it was a ballot initiative (Prop 117 in 1990) where the voters essentially ended the season. It now must have 2/3'ds majority to overturn, which will, sadly, NEVER happen in the Land of Fruits and Nuts.
Bohntr is correct. Other states beware. Don't let hunting game, especially predators, go to a vote of the citizens. You could lose your hunting rights as we did in CA. Lion protections has led to a huge decrease in black tail deer numbers on my ranch.
OP good luck! Hope you bag big one! Post up some pics when you get it done! Sorry no help on info in X9A.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Try Kika worldwide outfitters. They may outfit in that unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is from a Biologist, but hey maybe 4000 tags will be ok .

Attachments

• B03E399B-B9E9-4249-9542-FC5815B4B9F6.png
    B03E399B-B9E9-4249-9542-FC5815B4B9F6.png
    489.9 KB · Views: 137

87TT

WKR
Hmm? If what the guy says is right, then a more tags would help the herd by helping the habitat recover. A zone that large can handle a lot more hunter pressure than 269 tags. The same with the other zones in the eastern Sierra. If the deer were so "over populated", why weren't there more tags before? The whole philosophy of the DFW in CA is geared towards less hunting and hunters. You are right about them wanting your money but they just want to use it for their agenda and not hunter opportunities. Once again, don't miss it.

nexus

FNG
....and F&G had nothing to do with losing the mountain lion season in CA.........it was a ballot initiative (Prop 117 in 1990) where the voters essentially ended the season. It now must have 2/3'ds majority to overturn, which will, sadly, NEVER happen in the Land of Fruits and Nuts.

The ballot initiative is what established the current protection programs, however, it was Governor Ronald Regan (yep, that guy) and a Republican held state legislature that originally band sport hunting of mountain lions in 1971 (enacted 1972 season). The 5-year ban was reinstated 2 additional times by the legislature and Governors from both parties before the ballot initiative in 1990.

Can't Hit em: My group of 4 were drawn for the 2020 season in X9A as well. We're a bunch of dudes that hunt D7 and we're tired of a 3% hunter success rate in that part of the Sierras. We're all looking forward to our X9A hunt. If you're open to sharing your hunting spots I'd love to hear them as well.

Ryguy

FNG
Can't Hit em: My group of 4 were drawn for the 2020 season in X9A as well. We're a bunch of dudes that hunt D7 and we're tired of a 3% hunter success rate in that part of the Sierras. We're all looking forward to our X9A hunt. If you're open to sharing your hunting spots I'd love to hear them as well.

That’s rather bold of you to ask for spots. What I will say is there’s lots of deer everywhere. Now to find a stud you better get to hiking. In 2 days helping my buddy we saw 13 legal bucks. If you’re happy with a fork, should take you an hr. But since that’s like 7 points now I’d be selective as hell. Get out and scout. Go high for the big boys

Ryguy

FNG

That’s rather bold of you to ask for spots. What I will say is there’s lots of deer everywhere. Now to find a stud you better get to hiking. In 2 days helping my buddy we saw 13 legal bucks. If you’re happy with a fork, should take you an hr. But since that’s like 7 points now I’d be selective as hell. Get out and scout. Go high for the big boys

Hello there bud. I have hunted the "D" zones for over a decade with no luck. After applying for 6 consecutive years i finally drew x9a. I have never been to the area and obviously never harvested a deer. I read on another one of your posts that you know this area, so i was wondering if you could point a newbie in the right direction. I probably have one weekend to scout and one to hunt maybe 3 days. I greatly appreciate any pointers or info you can help me out with. thanks!!

Hello there bud. I have hunted the "D" zones for over a decade with no luck. After applying for 6 consecutive years i finally drew x9a. I have never been to the area and obviously never harvested a deer. I read on another one of your posts that you know this area, so i was wondering if you could point a newbie in the right direction. I probably have one weekend to scout and one to hunt maybe 3 days. I greatly appreciate any pointers or info you can help me out with. thanks!!
I don’t know shit about x9a but if you actually want to kill a deer, you better spend a week scouting and a week hunting at least. Or else you’ve wasted 6 years

I drew an A16 tag and will be up there a couple times to scout and for the opener. I have hunted there a lot. But my most specific and applicable experience was in 17’ when they had a winter similar to this past one. I had an AO tag and hiked threw x9A into the high country of D7. All of the deer were very low and the snow levels were still around 8500’ in 3rd week of august. Long story short the deer didnt make their full migration to the high country due to the snow levels and the late winter. They were also much more spread out because water was so plentiful. Some advice i have, scout during end of archery as the difference between july and august is vast for deer locations. X9A has great acess for ATV’s but dont let that make you think you shouldn't hike in. There are tons of deer and mature ones now with tag cuts but they are smart and arent going to be hanging around camps and trails. Be patient and find the pockets that are away from drive able roads and have water. It will be hot through opener of rifle. Feel free to PM me to bounce some ideas off of. Good luc

I drew an A16 tag and will be up there a couple times to scout and for the opener. I have hunted there a lot. But my most specific and applicable experience was in 17’ when they had a winter similar to this past one. I had an AO tag and hiked threw x9A into the high country of D7. All of the deer were very low and the snow levels were still around 8500’ in 3rd week of august. Long story short the deer didnt make their full migration to the high country due to the snow levels and the late winter. They were also much more spread out because water was so plentiful. Some advice i have, scout during end of archery as the difference between july and august is vast for deer locations. X9A has great acess for ATV’s but dont let that make you think you shouldn't hike in. There are tons of deer and mature ones now with tag cuts but they are smart and arent going to be hanging around camps and trails. Be patient and find the pockets that are away from drive able roads and have water. It will be hot through opener of rifle. Feel free to PM me to bounce some ideas off of. Good luck
My dad and I finally got drawn on year 6. We will be doing archery and drew A16 (x9a). We have come up a couple times so far to scout and no luck. We have scouted a lot, north of the airport (Benton i Believe) up to Owens Road and Bald Mountain. We are pretty good shots with our bow but we are a little discouraged not seeing much. We have quads and don't do a ton of hiking because my dads surgeries he has had. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Would you suggest any areas? I got drawn and been scouting above the airport and below Bald Mountain. Not much luck. Its A16, so archery. Figured it be hard to stalk them in the flats. Im not going to be too picky. Little bigger than a forky will be nice.

87TT

WKR
Need to get up High as in way up. Like was said some does and small spikes and forks will be easier to find but the big boys are way up in the High meadows and above the trees. They don't come down until the snow pushes them and the rut starts in late Oct. early Nov.