California Zone D-5

Aloha,

As a first year bowhunter, I'm glad to join your forum! I've been spending most of my time in Desolation near Lyon's Creek and have a bunch of places scouted, but no real sign. Some bear scat, pretty old, and that's been about it. Generally arouond 7000-7200 feet. Should I keep pursuing this area this time of year (October) or head back down near the SPI lands near Pollock Pines? Also, once the weather turns, how low should I start lookng once rain/snow puts them down lower?

Many thanks, and wishing all much success!

RyanAF83B6D0-39EC-4630-B431-C7182F689582.jpeg1A256A36-AAAF-4107-B65B-B5F3FD44FB89.jpeg

slvrslngr

WKR
If you're not seeing sign, you need to keep moving until you do. Think like a deer, food, shelter, water. And you don't need to be in super deep to find them, some of the most unlikely looking places hold animals. Hope you have a bear tag, you're likely to get a opportunity or two. Good luck!

OP
greenbowhunter
Yep. Dry as a bone, couldn't find any sign of water besides the smaller (Dark Lake, etc) lakes... I sat those early but no luck. Brought my bear tag, hoped to get lucky when I found scat, but after the first sign it got dry. Thanks for the reply @slvrslngr

hey
i was there too. i think second weekend of bow season. was just above lyons creek trail lurking between 6500 to 7500 ft. on the west side. didnt see much. Saw some small deer tracks, few fairly new droppings and some old bear scats. lots of bush acrons. well i called them bush acrons....dont know the name. lol. was thinking about heading back because they were not ripe yet. was mainly looking for bears. havent been back since.

OP
greenbowhunter
hey
i was there too. i think second weekend of bow season. was just above lyons creek trail lurking between 6500 to 7500 ft. on the west side. didnt see much. Saw some small deer tracks, few fairly new droppings and some old bear scats. lots of bush acrons. well i called them bush acrons....dont know the name. lol. was thinking about heading back because they were not ripe yet. was mainly looking for bears. havent been back since.
I was there with both tags too... I had a set up for both. I think I'll try lower and closer this weekend!