California Zone X3B

chorpie

FNG
My brother and I drew deer tags for X3B this year - anyone have suggestions on areas to start researching? Not looking for anyone's special spot - just a more general area (or areas) that I should focus my planning on, somewhere to start?

Thanks!

Brandon Guitierez

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck brother! I have X4 so I cant help... Hit the maps, hit the roads, get to high spots and the big one will be found! Cant wait to see what you get.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

gmajor

WKR
X7b. Spent a ton of time around the area but never a true scout. Can't wait to crack into it. X3b is way up there, got to imagine it's pretty good eh?

kickemall

WKR
Virtually every alfalfa field north and south of Cedarville have bucks in it almost every night. You might ask and get lucky and be able to hunt one. The Warners behind Cedarville is great looking country but hard to find bucks in, although there are some very good ones. Hunting in the Warners is tough hunting. Theres some roads through them and access but locating any bucks is tricky. Same as anywhere, once you find sign, start glassing. Good luck.

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
kickmail pretty much summed it up. the alfalfa fields hold some very nice deer. Ive hunted antelope a couple of times in Modoc county. and used to here about the bucks that would use the blm land above the alfalfa. but ive never seen a deer on the blm. locals have told me there is a lot of Lions down low. iv'e heard of good hunting in the warners best bet would be to do some scouting and hunt up high. still pretty hot during x3b opener. wish I could help more. good luck

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
X3B isn't what it used to be....the alfalfa fields still have bucks in them but not like it was 5 or more years ago. Don't really know why but I am sure the lions have a lot to do with it. My cousin and his dad drew the tag the season before last and went to the south Warners. Cousin got a fat boy 3 point (horns not that great but he was a pig) and his dad came away with nothing. They saw deer and it is a good hunt but I think its an X zone that has dropped down to only a 3 point draw. Kickemall is right, its a brutal steep hunt in the Warners....rough country. You will find Mulies there for sure and come away with something nice.

desertcj

WKR
I'll be there in August for the Archery season(A6). I'm not going to get much time to scout though. Probably 1 day, maybe two but I'm going to be up there for 8 days or until I connect.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
3b like most x-zones in the ne. have never rebounded from the winter of 92-93, couple that with virtually unchecked lion control, and some drought years, it's not what it used to be. Like mentioned, the alfalfa fields near Cedarville have deer in them feeding,.. not like the numbers we saw in the 60's, 70's but they are still being used. You can try to gain access or try to cut them off if they are bedding on public land. The Warner wilderness area will have some horse camps in it, but there is a lot of country in there, most of it steep.
Don't know what your plans are, backpacking in, camping and day hikes in from there, or what your expectations are. Parking the truck and putting some boot leather down will raise your odds, as with most other zones. Not the best idea to mention places/names on a open forum, you can pm. me for a few spots to look at. Good luck
Mike

OP
C

chorpie

FNG
Man, I've been so busy I forgot about this post. Thanks for all the tips, guys. I live in central california so heading up there to scout isn't entirely feasible for me. I'll break out the maps and see what I can scrounge up!

We plan on ditching the truck and hiking in as far as we can, might have people hanging out at a base camp that we can head back to each night. I'll have my gear with me in case I need to stay out though.

ehayes

FNG
Hey Chorpie- I am hoping to draw X3B this year or next. How did your hunt go? I will be backpacking in. Do you have any recommendations? My friend has hunted x3b and his family has a place they like to camp in the southern part of the unit. They have taken deer there, but sounds like mostly forked bucks. I am wondering if the northern part is worth checking out, accessing from the northeast via BLM land?

Marble

WKR
Your best bet there is to get onto a trail send Getty several miles back and higher elevation. Ive had really good success there, but not next to the road.

The place I normally hunt is between 9k and 10k. Sometimes it gets hammered by horse camps and it's always busy opening weekend. But after that everyone goes home.

I hunted it last year. Didnt see a legal buck. That was 6 days of hunting. However, I didnt go back to my normal spot.

ehayes

FNG
Thanks Marble. Did you spend time at a different elevation or different area in that 9-10K range?

Marble

WKR
It was my wife's tag and we hunted around the 6500 to 7500 range. But it's not really the elevation that's the difference, it that the higher elevation is further away from pressure so the big bucks hang out there.

It's just like any other high country mule deer hunt. The bucks will be where the pressure is not. There is plenty of feed and water all over that area. So as long as they do not receive pressure from cattle, sheep or people, where you find them in August and Sept, they will be in October.

First weekend is a zoo. After that, you'll have almost the entire place to yourself. The majority of guys that hunt there give 2 to 3 days then they are gone.

It was my wife's tag and we hunted around the 6500 to 7500 range. But it's not really the elevation that's the difference, it that the higher elevation is further away from pressure so the big bucks hang out there.

It's just like any other high country mule deer hunt. The bucks will be where the pressure is not. There is plenty of feed and water all over that area. So as long as they do not receive pressure from cattle, sheep or people, where you find them in August and Sept, they will be in October.

First weekend is a zoo. After that, you'll have almost the entire place to yourself. The majority of guys that hunt there give 2 to 3 days then they are gone.
Hey Marble, I drew X3B this year. I was thinking about hunting near the Oregon border in the Warner’s. What do you think of that area. I’ve never hunted that area and don’t know where I should focus. Not asking for your prime spot but would greatly appreciate your opinion. I’m also thinking maybe checking out the Fort Bidwell area.