Calk Boots or Micro Spikes?

USMC-40

WKR
Outfitter I’m planning a goat hunt with recommended a set of calk boots. Is there a big difference between calk boots and my current boots with micro spikes?

Poser

WKR
Calk boots seem super archaic to me for mountain use. I think loggers and tree aborists still wear them, but in the mountains? That’s not actually a thing that I am aware of. Is your guide a 130 years old?

Light duty, aluminum crampons (Camp makes a light pair) or micro spikes. Of the brands I’ve tried, Kathoola are preferred or the BD, but BD are lighter.

I wore Whites and Hoffman calks for years when I worked in the woods. If you decide to go that route, get them early and get em broke in!

sako75

FNG
Calk boots seem super archaic to me for mountain use. I think loggers and tree aborists still wear them, but in the mountains? That’s not actually a thing that I am aware of. Is your guide a 130 years old?

Light duty, aluminum crampons (Camp makes a light pair) or micro spikes. Of the brands I’ve tried, Kathoola are preferred or the BD, but BD are lighter.
Depends on terrain kathoola spikes come off when used hard. Crampons too aggressive wood gets stuck in them and aluminum ones not good in the rocks. Calk boots work really well in the wet forest steep mountains getting up to where the goats are in coastal areas. But with a review like you gave you must have used them and they didn’t work for you. If the guide is recommending them you should listen to him.

JohnB

WKR
I've never worn calks but I'm sure your guide would rather you be in your comfortable standard hiking boots with microspikes vs blistered in a set of calks you weren't able to break in.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

sako75

FNG
Here where I live there’s a guy that puts calks in hiking boots for loggers and timber cruisers they work well for certain kinds of terrain. OP never said where he’s going hunting or what terrain he’ll be in. I’ve used the slip on spikes and really wanted them to work and they do on lots of terrain. When it gets steep they can’t be trusted to not break or slip off your boot. I would never go in a boot that doesn’t fit or gives you blisters that is setting yourself up for failure.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425