Call the gunsmith or not?

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
5E889486-2698-4762-8B90-2FCD3A65638C.jpeg
Got it bedded and put back together.
Went and shot a few rounds of cheap Winchester ammo to get it close and then shot a group of the 168gr berger HH federal premium @100.
Prone off the pack. Now to practice with the tripod.98E1755D-9826-42C0-ACBD-EC4822B4B272.jpeg
Not bad for a $200 rifle and an inexperienced shooter.

B23

WKR
They may not be the prettiest rifle out there but those 783's often shoot pretty well. I know the barrels on them are button rifled not hammer forged like the 700's and I've been told by multiple smiths the actions are actually very true. I'm not much of a barrel nut fan but they definitely make things a whole lot easier if you ever wanted to rebarrel it yourself.

I almost bought a 783 in 6.5 CM once. It came with a 16.5in heavy barrel that was already threaded and it had a better looking bolt handle but was in a plastic stock. Was on sale for $299 which is cheap for a new gun. I don't know what I'd have done with it but now I wish I would have bought it anyway.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
They may not be the prettiest rifle out there but those 783's often shoot pretty well. I know the barrels on them are button rifled not hammer forged like the 700's and I've been told by multiple smiths the actions are actually very true. I'm not much of a barrel nut fan but they definitely make things a whole lot easier if you ever wanted to rebarrel it yourself.

I almost bought a 783 in 6.5 CM once. It came with a 16.5in heavy barrel that was already threaded and it had a better looking bolt handle but was in a plastic stock. Was on sale for $299 which is cheap for a new gun. I don't know what I'd have done with it but now I wish I would have bought it anyway.
Similar situation here. My dad can’t walk past a deal and they were on sale cheap. Not sure exact price. He bought 3 different calibers and I ended up with this one. I almost wish it didn’t shoot so I could justify upgrading but It’s hard to if those results are consistent.
That shorty cm with a can sounds like a fun truck gun for sure!

Muff74b

FNG
I would call. Remember you are the customer and they are working for you. If they get mad they shouldn’t promise it to be done twice and not deliver on that promise.

I'd be suspicious of anyone who will chuck up a rifle in a lathe for anything for a $60 bill. The amount of time it takes to get dialed in true and layout a cut is already over that.
This is a very true. Dialing in a barrel properly takes time.