Call Your Shot - Yes Or No!

ElkNut1

WKR
It's Sept 14th, first day first hour of your elk hunt, you give a locator bugle & receive an aggressive bugle from this guy. You move in to a 100 yards with good cover & wind in your face not knowing what this bull looks like. You go into a few cow calls to test the waters & he bugles back, you give him a short warning growl & ramp up the cow calls to distress ones, he bugles back with much more emotion & you hit him with an aggressive no messing around challenge & rake a tree with authority. All you can hear is a screaming bugle & hooves pounding the ground straight at you as he approaches your perfectly concealed setup, you draw as you hear him coming, no time to re-position it's happening fast & furious, he steps out at 23 yards & bugles in your face, DO YOU SHOOT? If so which X is yours, Red or White one?

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• Frontal Shot.jpg
    Frontal Shot.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 310
No shot, very little chance of a pass through. I might think differently if my setup was 80# at 750+ gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope! My Dad took that shot about 15 years ago from 12 yards, arrow went between the lungs, and got the liver, so we got the animal. We got lucky!!! I've passed on that shot twice since then.

Jbehredt

WKR
If he takes a few more steps I’m just left of the red x. Just a hair. But he needs to shave off 4 yards.

elkguide

WKR
I can make that shot in the yard all day long.

In the real, hunting world, I'm hopefully in a good position and since he's come this far, with a bad attitude, I'm going to wait for him to keep on coming and looking for me and when he turns, even so slightly, I'm putting an arrow into his ribcage.

elkguide

WKR
And yes...…. I have nerves of steel.

Well except when one gets really close and blows snot all over me.
Then I do fall apart!

bsnedeker

WKR
Heck yeah...white x all day! That arrow comes out just behind the far shoulder and takes out at least one lung, esophagus, and a bunch of major arteries. Properly done he won't go far.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
Yes, white x, with a heavy arrow and razor sharp, cut on impact 125 grain broadhead out of a 70lb bow set at 65lbs. I've seen this done on a smaller bull with the Born and Raised boys in Oregon. Is this a wise shot? Not really.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have passed on this shot more than I recall and much much closer on many of them....no regrets .....this is a great shot when executed properly and we hear about those and see videos....but we don’t hear about the shots on this angle that did not fare so good for one reason or another....only the shooter can decide and live with the outcome. 7 months and counting 👍

cnelk

WKR
I have passed on this shot more than I recall and much much closer on many of them....no regrets .....this is a great shot when executed properly and we hear about those and see videos....but we don’t hear about the shots on this angle that did not fare so good for one reason or another....only the shooter can decide and live with the outcome. 7 months and counting 👍

We also dont hear about the 'perfect' broadside that didnt turn out well :)

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. I'd rather pass on a dozen bulls than make 1 bad shot....and that's prime opportunity for a bad shot....for me anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pgohil

WKR
I'm all in! Between the x's. The bull looks to be angling uphill. White x stands a good chance of cutting the jugular, but missing vitals high. The red x is right on the line of where the sternum comes up. Just a fuzz high of the red x would be as low as I'd like to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Red x I’d rather have it lower so more blood comes out Incase it needs tracked 80# set up I have faith in my shooting couple years ago I had a pass thru on a bull at 102 it was second arrow and he was standing dead that arrow is gonna either come out or be really stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Just watch all the popular YouTube hunting crews. There is no such thing as a bad shot. Guys nowadays will shoot any distance, any angle, nothing is off limits. And when the blood trail doesn’t end at an elk, we just shrug and say “I did everything possible” or “that’s bowhunting.” Obviously, I’m exaggerating, not everyone has resorted to this, but I think we can all agree there’s an increase in this trend.