Called a bull in, but no shot

It's my 3rd year of elk hunting and so far I'm 2/2 on my bull tags and neither one utilized calling! I'm still in the mindset of it's better if they don't know I'm there. I also only hunt solo, so that makes the shot presentation harder to get for calling.

Anyway, it was my 2nd weekend out. Yesterday, I was sitting on the ground in some cover at the edge of a small clearing with a wallow/water hole in the thick timber. At about 7:30am, I hear a beautiful bugle maybe 200 yards away at most. It almost sounded fake! I decided to send a loaction bugle back to see what happened. Almost immediately, he bugled back, a little more energetically. I listened to this one really closely to see if I could tell his distance and his mood. Definitely a real bull! I let out another bugle, this time a little stronger and then I heard some branches snapping etc. So I decided to try to paint a picture in his brain that there was a semi interested cow along with me. So I let out a few cow mews and whines that sounded to me like "hey big boy, let's party!" Then I gave out a stronger bugle kind of like elknuts lip bawl saying hey get back here! I could here the bull working towards me, thrashing stuff on his way. I did a couple more mews and followed it with some bull pants. I also did some raking and stomping too, but not sure exactly when. I think it was after I heard him taking at about 75yards and it brought him closer. The bull got in to 40 yards before I could see him, but unfortunately he was looking straight in my direction. I was behind a couple of pine trunks and a pine sapling, but if I moved quickly I knew he'd see me. That's when the blood started pumping. He was a very nice 6x6. Real thick.

I wasn't sure what to do then because he had a lock on my location and was close without enough solid cover between he and I unless he made a mistake and went towards the clearing to get to me. There wasn't enough cover for me to back away making the retreating mews and get back to my spot for a shot.

So I did the dumb thing and slowly moved behind my tree and gave a couple mews and raked again.

I think he either saw me or could see enough of my area to know there wasn't a cow there. He took off. Incredibly silently too! I was impressed.

So what would you guys have done at the point he was 40 yards, without a shot, and not enough cover to move anywhere?

Then today.... I was heading to a different wallow where I had to pass underneath the area this bull came from yesterday, probably by 200 yards. I decided to throw a locator out. Waited a couple minute, nothing. So I started moving again. After walking for a couple minutes, I hear crashing and this same huge bull is taking off uphill! He was behind some deadfall and spotted me. So I gave a couple of mews to stop him and it did for a minute! I can't remember what I did then to screw it up, but he ended up leaving.

What would y'all do in that scenario?

Needless to say, that was a blast

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Idk where your hunting… but the montana decoys are awesome if they are legal where you are. I’ve moved around all over right in front of bulls… as long as your not super obviously anything other than an elk… they just watch you. You can also use it by setting it down and being behind it and if your very quiet you can back out from behind it and shift over to a different lane.

Other option is a hunting partner… which is a hard one if you normally hunt alone!

Ken

OP
H
“I was behind a couple of pine trunks and a pine sapling….”

^^^ The biggest mistake made right there.
Always. Always stand in front of the cover.

Really??

I still wouldn't have had a shot because all that was visible was his head.

OP
H
Idk where your hunting… but the montana decoys are awesome if they are legal where you are. I’ve moved around all over right in front of bulls… as long as your not super obviously anything other than an elk… they just watch you. You can also use it by setting it down and being behind it and if your very quiet you can back out from behind it and shift over to a different lane.

Other option is a hunting partner… which is a hard one if you normally hunt alone!

Ken
I'm in Utah. I'm not sure of the legality here. But I'll look into that

Standing behind cover will not work to your advantage when you need to shoot. And just because you call it in doesn’t mean you’ll always get a shot. I bet I call in 4-6 bulls before one presents a decent opportunity to draw, let alone shoot. That’s bow hunting. Stay after it. Good luck!

OP
H
Standing behind cover will not work to your advantage when you need to shoot. And just because you call it in doesn’t mean you’ll always get a shot. I bet I call in 4-6 bulls before one presents a decent opportunity to draw, let alone shoot. That’s bow hunting. Stay after it. Good luck!

I get that! I've been bowhunting deer my whole life. I'm just trying to figure out if there's something I could have done better!

Like apparently not stand behind the cover haha

wytx

WKR
Yeah , you would be wise to take cnelk's advice and post up in front of the cover to break up your outline.

ShakeDown

WKR
Check out what Chris Roe calls the “Doorway Principle“

Also yes, trust your camo but even more importantly DO NOT MOVE. Don’t make eye contact. I have called in a bull and had him walk up to about 20ft in the wide open with good wind, in solid clothing.

Good luck and go get em!

Reactions: MJB

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our instinct is to keep calling… once he is investigating and searching coming your way then as noted go silent and move up and or have called behind you…he is looking for his adversary so you don’t want to call anymore than you have to…they are remarkable at pinning your location…..if they lock up give it time to play out staying silent otherwise any movements or sound will likely give up the gig…have fun and learn from each encounter…in dense vegetation you can get away with alot more movement and being aggressive as line of sight is very short…good luck🤙

WCB

WKR
I get that! I've been bowhunting deer my whole life. I'm just trying to figure out if there's something I could have done better!

Like apparently not stand behind the cover haha
Yep stand in front of cover if possible. OR at least stand off of the cover not right behind it.

I You definitely should not have called and raked the last time. I would have let it play out. Basically even before your last calling he got to a point where he should have seen what was making the noise and didn't see it. Assuming you didn't call again he COULD have kept coming or at least searched a bit for the elk that were supposed to be there.

If he got bored and left you could have let him walk and try him again later, or he may have even moved into a position where you could have got a shot off while he was leaving.

The second scenario is just hunting in general. When you say you were walking...were you still hunting or actively hunting or were you just traveling? If I am in an area where I know elk are or recently had been I don't just travel if that makes sense unless I am chasing an animal I somewhat know the location of.

OP
H
This is awesome. Thanks for all of the helpful information.

I had a couple of cows walk by 10 feet in front of me two weekends ago while I was sitting in front of cover without anything in front of me AND had solid pants and a partially solid $5 mossy oak shirt on. I just figured they didn't spot me because they weren't keyed to my exact location from communication. Now I know.... they are just way more relaxed than whitetail

- get in front of the cover and/or move forward after last call before visual
- don't call any more or move after visual and let him make the next move
- quit calling/raking after he's close and still moving
- decoy!
- trust my kuiu camo hat

Last edited: