CALLING ALL 2nd GEN TACOMA OWNERS

GotDraw?

WKR
My '98 4.0 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 has 402k miles. Original motor. Burns no oil.

My girlfriend named it "Lazarus" cause it won't die.

I win.

JL

Vandy321

WKR
have any of you had to or proactively changed out the timing chain?
Edit sorry, serp belt change, timing chain. Why would you change the timing chain just for fun? Is the truck missing? Some easier things to check if its running rough.

I did spark plugs fan clutch, water pump, belt, rad hoses, coolant and t-stat at 110k prior to hunting season. Figured a few hours on a Saturday was better than ruining hunt. Easily saved $1000-1500 in stealership costs

not much of a mechanic, but between the hanes manual and TW threads with pictures, it was easy.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
Im leaving my 2006 alone. It had a small lift, but I went back to stock. It’s fully capable.
stock height is good, because I carry a kayak in the bed of my truck. More height would be more effort.

my truck runs perfect. Just changed the tranny juice two days ago.

brsnow

WKR
I believe from 06 on they have chains. I looked into it previously but could be wrong.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im leaving my 2006 alone. It had a small lift, but I went back to stock. It’s fully capable.
stock height is good, because I carry a kayak in the bed of my truck. More height would be more effort.

my truck runs perfect. Just changed the tranny juice two days ago.

My shocks are getting close to needing replaced; I was thinking about upgrading them and installing a small lift, but like you- I find my truck plenty capable so will instead just replace with oe Bilstein shocks

Vandy321

WKR
I believe from 06 on they have chains. I looked into it previously but could be wrong.
You are correct. The concensus from the internet experts seems to be zero reason to change the timing chain, it should out last the motor.

Finch

WKR
I do my own maintenence on my 06 as well. I've always used mobil 1 synthetic and change every 5k. I also change diffs, xfer case, and tranny fluids.

I did rebuild my driveshaft one weekend as the carrier bearing was wearing out. A couple of my u-joints needle bearings were powder. I grease u- joints now every oil change.

Attachments

• 20170121_205237.jpg
    20170121_205237.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 31

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
also do my own maintenance- Mobil 1 5W30 syn for the engine and Mobil 1 syn for the cases and transmission (mine is a manual)

the owners manual calls for changing plugs at 30k too, which I think is a little early based on the plugs I've pulled, but I do it anyways

definitely hit the zerks at 30k too

I'm getting close on shocks and probably pretty close on pads; the front pads won't be a problem- d1cking with the drums in the rear will likely be fun

I’ve replaced 4 wheel bearings, and pretty sure I replaced 1 twice, so still 1 original.

Have replaced the drive shaft a few times. I think at 90k and 180k and then I stopped driving through creeks and this one has been good since.

Replaced one pulley bearing on the serpentine belt somewhere, can’t remember which one.

That’s it. No other problems besides silly stuff.

boom

WKR
Are you sure? I was pretty certain the 4.0 V6 has a chain.
sorry..i was on a WEBEX meeting when i typed this.

yes, chain. no to the belt. no need to crack it open to replace. glad you are around to catch my flub..:)

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Drove a 2009 DCLB for about seven years and never had an issue with that truck in about 107k. Now driving a 2011 ACLB that I've had for about three years and put on about 30k in that time. The 2nd gens have been my preferred hunting vehicle for awhile now. Both have been set up with OME suspension, ARB on the front with a Warn winch, and custom headache rack.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 28, 12 20 12 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 28, 12 20 12 PM.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 36

boom

WKR
My outside temp gauge and compass took a dump on me 3x The last fix my friend that built circuit boards for GoPro did the work. It still failed.
‘now I just stick a finger outside To check temps.

My outside temp gauge and compass took a dump on me 3x The last fix my friend that built circuit boards for GoPro did the work. It still failed.
‘now I just stick a finger outside To check temps.

That is a common issue. There is a resistor that can come loose. It's a little surface mount resistor. I was able to re-solder mine. 220 resistor maybe? Can't remember. Some googling should find it.