CALLING ALL 2nd GEN TACOMA OWNERS

Does anybody have any recommendations on an economical lift kit to get a few more inches. I have a 2015 access cab, bone stock. I always said once I had it paid off I would go for a small lift, well, that time has come I guess. Been a great truck so far, I've been tempted to sell it since the resale is so high, but I always think better of it and realize it should last me another 20 years. 47k miles on it currently.

HQOOYI3.jpg

Last edited:

PJG

WKR
Does anybody have any recommendations on an economical lift kid to get a few more issues. I have a 2015 access cab, bone stock. I always said once I had it paid off, I would go for a small lift, well, that time has come I guess. Been a great truck so far, I've been tempted to sell it since the resale is so high, but I always think better of it and realize it should last me another 20 years. 47k miles on it currently.

HQOOYI3.jpg
I found this video very helpful

Vandy321

WKR
Coilovers up front and a leaf pack for the rear. You can keep cost down by installing yourself, take ya a day in the garage and there are 100s of how to links on tacomaworld.

Toytech if you want the budget route for the front, OME Dakar is a quality option for the rear.

Beware of the cheapest option, springs and longer shocks. Its cheap for a reason and ride will suffer....so will resale.

MR5X5

FNG
Does anybody have any recommendations on an economical lift kit to get a few more inches. I have a 2015 access cab, bone stock. I always said once I had it paid off I would go for a small lift, well, that time has come I guess. Been a great truck so far, I've been tempted to sell it since the resale is so high, but I always think better of it and realize it should last me another 20 years. 47k miles on it currently
Just make sure you think it through before you pick a lift so you can size your lift accordingly. Any other mods planned? Winches, bumpers, campers, things that add weight, etc. Be aware that a lift somewhere about 2.5 to 3 inches will require aftermarket UCAs. More info than you want located here:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info fellas. I don't plan to go crazy with any other mods, just a couple inch lift and maybe slightly bigger wheels/tires.

MR5X5

FNG
Thanks for the info fellas. I don't plan to go crazy with any other mods, just a couple inch lift and maybe slightly bigger wheels/tires.
Pay special attention to tires, there is not much room there without modifying structure to prevent rubs at full turn. Generally speaking skinny 33's are about the limit without modding; 255/85/16. 265/75/16 are comfortable 32s. Lots to read on Taco World about fitting tires.

boom

WKR
That is a common issue. There is a resistor that can come loose. It's a little surface mount resistor. I was able to re-solder mine. 220 resistor maybe? Can't remember. Some googling should find it.
yea. i soldered mine 2x..and a buddy did it the third time. it is a 550 resistor and it is hanging upside down like a sleeping bat. gravity and heat loosens it according to my buddy.

i really thought he got it. he had a work station with a microscope for precision soldering!!

I have an opportunity to get into a 2011 Tacoma crew cab with only 75k miles. Truck looks to be in great shape. Gas mileage should be considerably better than my current 1500 Ram!

yea. i soldered mine 2x..and a buddy did it the third time. it is a 550 resistor and it is hanging upside down like a sleeping bat. gravity and heat loosens it according to my buddy.

i really thought he got it. he had a work station with a microscope for precision soldering!!

Yup, same deal. I did mine twice, hasn't failed since the second time which was over 3 years ago. I remember I took it completely off, used solder wick to get all excess solder off, cleaned with D-limonene, and then soldered on a new capacitor I bought on ebay.

BlakeyD

FNG
Does anybody have any recommendations on an economical lift kit to get a few more inches. I have a 2015 access cab, bone stock. I always said once I had it paid off I would go for a small lift, well, that time has come I guess. Been a great truck so far, I've been tempted to sell it since the resale is so high, but I always think better of it and realize it should last me another 20 years. 47k miles on it currently.

HQOOYI3.jpg

Pay special attention to tires, there is not much room there without modifying structure to prevent rubs at full turn. Generally speaking skinny 33's are about the limit without modding; 255/85/16. 265/75/16 are comfortable 32s. Lots to read on Taco World about fitting tires.
New to the forum here, but I'll go ahead and jump in with a few visuals here. I also went bang for your buck on lift and decided to go with the Bilstein 5160 (4th notch) front and 6112 rear setup with a Deaver add-a-leaf. TRuck rides fantastic compared to stock and I did not want to deal with having to rebuild coilovers not to mention the price. I do however have JBA UCAs to help with my alignment for the larger tires but it is not required, just a recommendation. In the first picture (no camper shell) I have the above setup with 265/75r16 Falken Wildpeaks AT3w. Second picture (camper shell/current setup) I am running same suspension but 255/85r16 Mastercraft CXT. No rub on either because the UCAs allow me to run a higher degree of castor pushing the wheel forward away from the cab. Hopefully this helps with any research you're doing or visualizing how you want the truck to look in the end.
20190731_174004.jpg
20201101_120604.jpg

MadeInTheRain

Lil-Rokslider

HQOOYI3.jpg
Check out bilstienlifts.com they have some quality affordable options.

boom

WKR

HQOOYI3.jpg
i had the OME kit on my silver access cab. it picked it up all all corners exactly 1.5". ride was awesome.
i went back to stock, when that rear spring TSB came out.. i do miss my tiny lift. but i did have a tiny vibration at take off with it..now..smoooooottth...

What do you guys recommend for a new suspension? Mine has 360k on it and probably needing replaced although I've had no durability issues.

I would normally replace with OEM stuff since it has held up well, but OEM parts are expensive for what you get, so I figure I can probably get more performance for the same price. Want a modest 1 or 2 inch lift to maintain fuel economy, plus I'm short. Want something with a little more ass so when I put several hundred pounds of gear and elk meat (along with my topper) in the rear it doesn't sag so much. Would like to maintain some comfort, not ride so rough. I drive like an old man, don't do anything crazy or stupid. Think economy, value, durability (but not necessarily ruggedness). 99% highway miles, 1% forest road to trail head.

Love my 2006 Tacoma. Toyota replaced the frame a few years ago under the recall and dirtbags keep breaking my windows at night but it's been a great truck!!

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold my F150 and am going back to a Tacoma. My last one had the 6' bed. It was great for a quad. Going back and forth between getting the shorter box this time. Anyone had both sizes and have a preference between the two?

No matter what, this time I'll get a Tacoma with the locking rear differential.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the short box and most times I like it, but sometimes I think a slide in camper would be nice and just about requires the longer bed. I’ll also sleep in the bed (w/ a soft topper overhead) and a foot longer bed would be nice.

When I replace mine, it’s going to be a tough choice.

I've resoldered temp gauge/compass 3x. It went out again and I need to try it again... I'm fine getting 6 months out of it before I need to solder the resistor. Plently of info on Tacomaworld and I'm a complete idiot with electrical..

Toyota wanted like $1000 bucks for this part, no thanks!!!

MR5X5

FNG
What do you guys recommend for a new suspension? Mine has 360k on it and probably needing replaced although I've had no durability issues.

I would normally replace with OEM stuff since it has held up well, but OEM parts are expensive for what you get, so I figure I can probably get more performance for the same price. Want a modest 1 or 2 inch lift to maintain fuel economy, plus I'm short. Want something with a little more ass so when I put several hundred pounds of gear and elk meat (along with my topper) in the rear it doesn't sag so much. Would like to maintain some comfort, not ride so rough. I drive like an old man, don't do anything crazy or stupid. Think economy, value, durability (but not necessarily ruggedness). 99% highway miles, 1% forest road to trail head.
Get a basic Old Man Emu (OME) lift with std springs. Tried and true set up. Cost about ~$1.2k. There are a few popular Bilstein setups too at the same price point. Or, hate to say it, get a fresh spring pack and shocks and add a spacer lift. I'd normally say "hell no" to spacers, but for 1% off road...

xcutter

WKR
If anyone has a camper shell for a 2nd gen for a 5ft bed they would like to sale within reasonable driving distance of Indiana please let me know. Been trying to find one with no luck. Thanks.