Calling all Mystery Ranch users

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a MR pack (not only for hunting purposes) under 2,000 CI but I see that a lot of them in that range use their 3-zip design and I was wondering if anyone has any packs with this layout/zipper design and their thoughts on them after use? Got a 1 time use promo code and looking to put it to good use so trying to find one I won't have to return and waste my code. Below is a list of the 3-zip design packs so feel free to add some input if you have any of these and thanks for your time!

Packs: Selway 60, Front, Pintler, Urban Assault, Scree, 3 Day Assault, Coulee, Terraframe 3-ZIP, Ravine, Hitchhiker, Overload, Cairn
(Probably forgetting/missed a couple in there too)

The tri zip layout is my favorite. It makes loading and unloading super easy. You know that one thing you need out of your pack that always seems to be at the bottom? Not a problem with the tri zip. I own the metcalf, pintler, urban assault, front, and the pop up 18. Out of all of them the pintler is my go to. For something a little more utilitarian the Front is an excellent choice and I believe it to be the most versatile everyday/hunting day pack. Of course your style of hunting comes into play as well. Do you need load carrying/overload shelf? Is just a daypack enough? Etc etc. The real problem with MR is that you buy one and then realize you want to own more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CTR

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback! It'll only be a light scouting/hiking pack so the most it'll ever have would be max 15 pounds. Have you used it in any rainy situations? Curious to how it does in the rain but probably wouldn't ever be in true downpours for extended periods of time.

Brando

FNG
I have a Pintler, Scree, and a Pop Up 28. The Scree was the first MR bag I purchased for day hikes and utilitarian use. I then purchased the Pop up, thinking that it would work for everything I would need while hunting but quickly realized that I really missed the Tri-Zip of the Scree, so I purchased the Pintler. The Pintler in my mind is the perfect pack for my style of hunting and usage. It fits everything I carry while hunting, has the load shelf to carry heavy loads if needed, and is very comfortable and robust.

The Scree is a lighter duty pack that will work well for a general hiking/scouting pack if you don't need to carry heavy loads. The hip belt could be a little more robust but it works and is comfortable. The most weight I've had in the Scree is roughly 15 lbs which packed and carried well. I thought that once I purchased the Pintler it would always be the pack I used for everything outdoors but if I'm just out for a hike with the family, I will grab the Scree because it's light and "nimble".

You mentioned the Cairn which I believe is the same pack as the Scree but has a womens specific yolk.

I haven't used any of the packs in a heavy rain so can't really comment as to the waterproofness of the three but the Pintler and the Pop Up are 500D Cordura and the Scree is 420D nylon so the hunting specific bags are made of a higher quality material and should fight off getting wet inside better than the Scree or the more utilitarian packs. I feel they would be fine in a light drizzle now and again but in a constant rain I would really want to have a rain cover to ensure that everything in the bag stays as dry as it can be.

Good luck on your search. You wont go wrong with anything from Mystery Ranch.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I have scapegoat 35, pintler, selway and a gen 1 marshall. Trizip just works well for me. No issues with water and I hunt oregon/alaska so always wet. Love them all.

hunter2-4

FNG
I have a 3 day assault and I love the 3 zip. I've used it really heavily for 4 years in the military and for hunting. I can't imagine using a regular design.

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a Big Horn, a 3 Day Assault and a Dragon Slayer.all of them 5 years or older and bloodstained....you could say I'm a fan of the 3-Zip!

Pike40

FNG
I have had a pintler for about a month or so now, it is my first mystery ranch pack and I am totally impressed with it. I love the trizip design, it allows you so many ways to get into your stuff. I have been using it as winter training carrying about 40 pounds in it, wildlife camera gear, water and lead weight. Carries very well.

If you’re looking for just a scouting pack, seriously consider that pop up 28. I had it before I got my Pintler and it was just too small for what I needed. I would trust it to pack out a small deer or antelope, but it’s just not big enough for much more. I had 30-35 pounds in it on multiple scouting/workout hikes in the summer and it was awesome for that. I could hardly tell it was even there.

I was using a KUIU 1850 for several years then decided to try the Mystery Ranch cabinet. Used it on a couple of hunts and tried really hard to like it, but it just doesn’t work for me. Got back from a javelina hunt on Monday and switched back to the Kuiu that works really well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Have the Rush=Scree if not mistaken, 3DAP, ASAP and Pintler. Come July, might add the 2DAP or FRONT.

It just grows on you.
Feels like a gym bag when you open just the center zip.
It squeezes when over packed
keeps it centered on your back
the yoke...once adjusted is just amazing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Pop Up and an Urban Assault- the Assault is strictly a day/edc pack for me and performs wonderfully (I've made a few minor mods to make it even better :))

For long day hunts, would be tough to beat the Pop Up series- small, compact pack that is able to transform into a hauler- carrying 70-ish lb loads if a guy is lucky on the mountain

boom

WKR
I love the 3zip. The option of just opening the top to stuff something quickly is fantastic. As the day progresses you can open it wider to adjust or get to deeper loads.

I’m pretty fast dealing with my tripod and spotter these days. It’s a great option.

My pack is a very old DragonSlayer. (Arguably the coolest pack name EVER)

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love my 3DAP for day hikes and for travel for up to a week. The discontinued Sweetpea is the civilian version; it doesn't have PALS and internal pockets. I have the Live Wings which make pistol carry much easier. A friend has a 3DAP, too, but I had to make a set of Live Wing-style add-ons because those are also discontinued.

GPool1842

WKR
I have the pintler and the Marshall bags on the guide light frame. Pintler 3 zip is awesome. Have used that bag for deer, turkey, rabbit, hog, hiking, and snowshoeing. Very handy design and MR zipper setups are heavy duty and work well.

Pintler and Pop-up 18 cover most all my bases. Like others have said though, youll need to look at your individual needs to see which is right for you. Solid bags though, have no fear about that.

I ran the pintler this year(my first year with MR) and was very happy with it. I used it for everything from a week long back pack elk hunt to day hunts for mule deer and whitetail and it worked great. I packed out several deer on my own using the pack and it carried extremely well.

I used to run NICE with longbow packed elk moose bears deer with it- even without a load sling. I ran a crew cab enough to say I did- but never was into it. Packed a goat and a deer with it. I run a pintler or a popup28 now and only critique is lack of 3zip bag for the popup

Mt Al

WKR
Have the Selway, had a 3 day assault (my kids took it...jerks). I think the 3 zip is a great trade off. Being really nit picky: when all I want is the long bag zip I have to partially unzip the two "Y" zippers on the top to get to the slider and grab hold so I can unzip. That's honestly the only issue and it's a really small deal, almost embarrassed to type it. However, that's why I like their new panel load Sawtooth/Beartooth and whatever they name the pack when they do it in 3500 cu. in. I don't have plans to buy a new pack for years but if I do I'll get the new panel load and give it a try.

Trr15

WKR
I've got a Dragonslayer and I love that pack. Actually packed out a spike bull with it a few years ago. While its not designed for heavy hauling, it got the job done and shows no sign of wear other than some blood stains. Mystery Ranch makes some nice/good quality stuff.