Calling all Mystery Ranch users

I run a Mule on the NICE frame with a guide lid. I use mine for scouting and hunting. The mule serves all the needs of a small day pack carrying my essentials and the overload shelf let’s me throw whatever I find (sheds) or need to take with me to the woods. Guide kid usually packs my food and small loose items or trail cameras. 109899

I picked up a terraframe 50 in June and used it on a backpacking trip in Oregon. Covered roughly 100 miles on various trails and terrain. I carried about 40ish pounds in it between gear and food. I put all of my personal gear inside, in a Sea to Summit dry bag (40L) and the zippers were pretty handy to load and unload. I put my food in another dry bag and sandwiched it between the frame and the pack.

The ability to get the pack away from the frame on the terra is WAY easier than on any of the hunting packs that MR makes. Its a simple buckle and its done, no adjusting all of the straps and pulling it over the frame.

The side pockets lay flat when not in use and I managed to stuff two 32oz Nalgene bottles in, but it was tight. The strap can also go through the pocket to help tighten the pack up. The belt is no frills, just the ability to adjust and that's it. No pockets or webbing.

I have a Marshall, Crewcab and a custom bag, and this little pack was a good addition to the line up for my non hunting uses.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just going to piggyback vs starting a different thread...if OP allows.
If not I'll delete

So this is for my Sawtooth 45.
I'm trying to attach my Daylid (?) to the Sawtooth and found that the 2019 SJ Auto-lock Buckles (Coyote in pictures) are much tighter/ stiff to route the straps and didn't have a favorable experience routing the straps vs the 2017-18 older auto-lock buckles (Foliage in Pictures)

Any tips or tricks to this? I can only imagine the frustrations come Winter with gloves on or total failure (if any)

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
........ Being really nit picky: when all I want is the long bag zip I have to partially unzip the two "Y" zippers on the top to get to the slider and grab hold so I can unzip. That's honestly the only issue and it's a really small deal, almost embarrassed to type it.

Having a little trouble picturing this.
Can you share a picture or two please?
Thanks

If you’re looking for just a scouting pack, seriously consider that pop up 28. I had it before I got my Pintler and it was just too small for what I needed. I would trust it to pack out a small deer or antelope, but it’s just not big enough for much more. I had 30-35 pounds in it on multiple scouting/workout hikes in the summer and it was awesome for that. I could hardly tell it was even there.

I've packed a whole boned out mature Muley buck with cape and skull and antelope too with my PU28. Also, plenty of guys have hauled elk quarters in theirs, though I haven't had that pleasure yet.

The Pop Up 28 is a great pack for typical day hunting/scouting loads. Only drawback is the lack of a zipper for access, other than the top. It's basically a 1700 inch top loading sack.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a Sawtooth 45 and couldn't warm up to the zipper and pack configuration. Exchanged it for a Pintler and haven't looked back. I like the trizip and added the hunting lid for extra capacity. I also have a Kuiu Ultra suspension with Pro 2300 bag that is just a good, but for different applications.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with the Pintler crowd on this one. A new one with the Guide Lite MT frame will suit your purposes very well.

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
Got hands on the 2020 pop 28, sawtooth and pintler. Didnt care for the 270 zip, kept binding rounding the corners. Tri zip was flawless. Prefer 500 cordura less crinkle noise vs 300d esp when cold. The 28 was a neat design but frame comfort was lacking vs the new mt guide. Of the 3, I kept the pintler.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had a trizip, I was worried it would work that great with my bow strapped to it. Has anyone used the trizip in that situation?

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
I dont bow hunt but having one strapped to the back (even a rifle for that matter) would impede access to the downward zipper. You could still access the bag from top Y zipper like a duffel. In that respect the 270 design would be easier to access when something is strapped to the back.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I run an MR Hitchhiker on a Krux frame for my evening hunting rig. Love the Tri-zip. I think the Pintler is one of the best deals out there on a functional daypack/ 3 day bivy pack.