Calling all puffy glassing jacket experts

Hey guys, I know the puffy jacket questions get kicked around on here like a dead horse, but I’m looking more for info on how to decide between two jackets...I narrowed it down specifications wise to the kings transition puffy (5.11 oz of 800 down fill) and the skre ptarmigan (5.2 of 850) both have same down to feather ratio 90/10 or 95/5 don’t remember for sure.

ordered both and trying to have a shoot out between the two...I have put both on with a FL baselayer...I’ve walked around the house at a constant pace and sat stagnant in both and their pretty neck and neck....going by the specs the skre should be warmer but not so sure it is...this will be a glassing jacket for cold mornings and evenings for mainly January mule deer hunts....long story short i guess I’m looking for how guys that are more clothing nuts than me go about deciding on a puffy for glassing in January when it’s August or any other way to put these two head to head to find a winner! Lol thanks fellas

I’m not familiar with either of these jackets, but I’d sit down like I would glassing and see if the jacket rides up my back or if the sleeves are too short while hold binos. The last thing you want is a draft, pretty much defeats the purpose. Do the shoulder areas lift up while sitting creating extra dead space to warm? Does the hood synch down? Don’t want cold air getting in. Some things to think about. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
I bought the ptarmigan last year and used it on a November mule deer hunt. I'm glad I finally broke down and bought a puffy. It was a cold windy deer season and I stayed toasty warm. I never hiked with it on because I would have cooked. But once I stopped at my glassing points I'd throw that thing on along with my mittens and I was warm with 0° temps and wind. I'm no expert but I wouldn't buy one without a hood. I'd also recommend mittens and a glassing pad if you're expecting really cold temps. I threw ski goggles in my pack and ended up using them while hiking through a windy snowstorm.

OP
S
Mountain, thanks for the reply I actually had sat down just to see how it would feel and make sure neither binded up and both were really nice but never thought about about checking for the areas where loft is created! Thanks for that!
And Hunter thank you real world experience is always good to hear! No doubt that skre will be good but I definitely thought it would be the clear winner!
Both pack down very nicely and I like the stuff sack skre sent (they both packed down in it)
They both handle drawing a bow very well but the skre material is louder by a fair bit, but sure feels like it’s a stouter material than the kings, I bet it would handle leaning back on rocks or logs better...I really don’t think I could go wrong with either one!

you can always visit the place that does the game processing, they have some very cold rooms, or the local beer cave...